Adv riders in Colombia

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by theturtleshead, Nov 11, 2011.

1. theturtleshead

theturtleshead Tits on a fish

Oddometer:
    Having seen the ADVriders in Chile thread it seems like an ADV riders in Colombia thread is over due.
    Feel free to chime in if you,re living in Colombia or just passing through.
    I,m Al been living in Medellin for 4 years,got a little Irish pub in Medellin amongst other things and at the moment riding my KTM SMR.

Any valid Colombia info or just to bullshit come on down:D

Al
    Shamrock Medellin
    trex300 and moto.phil like this.
  2. theturtleshead

Oddometer:
    Tambien en Espanol!!
    Al
  3. MountaineerWV

MountaineerWV Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll be arriving in Cartagena via the Stahlratte on the 27th of Nov. Would love to meet some of you FFers or get any advice you all have.
  4. xsPain

xsPain Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I flew into Bogota yesterday, leaving tomorrow. Still deciding about which way to go from there, but will probably start South West. This assumes I can find my way out of town. :wink:
  5. theturtleshead

Oddometer:
    If you want to have a reasonable visit to Colombia the best thing to do is the following- head out of Bogota to Medellin,just over half way you,ll find a town called Doradal here you can visit Hacienda Napoles Pablo Escobars ranch and 20k on Rio Claro where they have the Cueva de los Guajaros one of the best little attractions in the country.
    Then a couple of days in Medellin,checkin out the hot chicks-then down to the Zona Cafetera through Pereira to Salento for the night then on to Cali the next day to visit Mikey at the Casa Blanca.Mikey will give you the best places to visit from Cali south.
    Al
    ps Bogota-Ibague-Cali is ok not nearly as much fun
  6. Mekongfrank

Mekongfrank Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm in Trujillo, Peru, now, will be in Ecuador from about 20 to 30 Nov, then Colombia and maybe Venezuela for 6 weeks until I take the Stahlratte to Panama on Jan 17. I'll certainly stop by in Cali and Medellin.
  7. martinef

martinef Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Happily stuck in Bogota-Colombia :D, our moto/sidecar is in the shop waiting for parts from Japan. Since we place the order the parts are going to get here in 30 days. Nothing major, just some parts worn out on the bike due to the extra weigh of the sidecar. We are staying with family and having fun till January :clap
  8. Rub-a-Dub

Rub-a-Dub Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am sure there are lots of points of interest in Colombia besides visiting some extinct drug lord's farm. The good thing is that most everything is within a day's drive or less. I would visit the San Agustin Archaeological site and check out the megalith statues that resemble the ones from Easter Island (http://whc.unesco.org/pg.cfm?cid=31&id_site=744). Then head north to Santander and ride through the Chicamocha Canyon, a breath-taken experience http://www.colombianparadise.com/destinations/chicamocha-colombia.html, make sure you sample the local cuisine since every region has its own flavors, Then head to the northern coast where you can visit the Sierra Nevada of Santa Marta where you can see indigenous people and ruins of ancient cultures as well as perpetual snowy peaks http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sierra_Nevada_de_Santa_Marta_National_Park. If you feel more adventurous you can visit the Guajira peninsula, where you can see more indigenous tribes, desert landscapes and nature at its best http://www.google.com/search?q=la+g...v&sa=X&ei=6sXDTrGyD5S5tweyyvnXDg&ved=0CDkQsAQ. Or you can head south to Cartagena and check out the old city wall from the Conquistador era, as well as the beaches. Then head to Medellin to enjoy the forever spring climate, mountains, food and beautiful ladies!
    These are just a few sites of hundreds of places to visit while you are in Colombia.
    trex300 and knight like this.
  9. MountaineerWV

MountaineerWV Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Any suggestions for Christmas and New Years in Colombia?
  10. theturtleshead

Oddometer:
    We,ll be doing our best to put together a big New years party at the pub.
    Bikes welcome!
    Al:freaky
  11. kaiserkyhl

kaiserkyhl The journey is the reward!

Oddometer:
    Mike checking in here as well. Doing time in Cali - 4 years now with Casa Blanca Hostel. Will be moving to Medellin this month to open branch of my motorcycle tour and rental business!

:freaky See you around!
  12. crashmaster

crashmaster ow, my balls!

Oddometer:
    Excellent! :freaky In fact, I will be coming back to Colombia in a couple of months and will be looking to rent a bike. I'll be taking it to Los Llanos and also to Norte de Santander like Santa Cecillia, and Santa Elena in the south of Santander as well. I'll be riding 2up.

Hablamos.
  13. Throttlemeister

Throttlemeister Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I know someone who will be riding dirty:wink: Damn hard to stay away ain't it:rofl

Viva Colombia:freaky:rayof
  14. alexgomez0789

alexgomez0789 RONIN

Oddometer:
    Have a house in Medellin close to the Stadium and a Farm in Guatape/ El Penol next to the Lake 5km from La Pierdra del Penol (big ass rock). Will be doing my South America Ride starting in late Ferbruary will be sure to stop by your pub, when I get down there from NYC.
  15. Throttlemeister

Oddometer:
    Can I be your new best friend?:D

I love Colombia and could manage your place in Medellin and keep track of your farm while you are away in NYC:deal
  16. alexgomez0789

alexgomez0789 RONIN

Oddometer:

LOL, there are two extra rooms on the farm in Guatape right by the Resevoir/Lake nothing fancy just a room with a bed and a shower outside. Any ADV Rider is welcomed to go there and spend a night or two, just send me a PM on here.

I don't have any pics at the moment but just type in "Guatape, Antioquia: and you will see its worth taking the ride. Probably a 45 minute ride out of Medellin the way I ride. :)
    knight and moto.phil like this.
  17. Throttlemeister

Oddometer:
    I know that place well:wink:
    [​IMG]

Might be sending you a pm in the coming year. Awesome place!
  18. alexgomez0789

alexgomez0789 RONIN

Oddometer:
    Just send me a PM when your down there, also I have a big Garage if anyone need storage in Medellin, my House is a 15 minute walk from the Stadium and 5 minutes from one of the Metro Stations.
  19. Mekongfrank

Mekongfrank Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Oooops. Got rear-ended last night when I rolled into Cali. Bike still runs but lots of parts damages. Spend all day at BMW in Cali to find out that 24 parts (from headlight - which cracked when I hit the bumper of the car in front while going down - to small things like a wind shield bolt) need to be replaced. Of course, apart from a pannier, they've got nothing in the country. Tomorrow I'll talk to the insurance of the guilty party. The agent was on the spot and stated that they will cover it all. I'll see how they react to the BMW estimate of $4500 (sounds better in Pesos: a whopping 9 1/2 Million!). My aim is to get the cash, find temporary solutions this week to get the bike moving, head on asphalt to Barranquilla where the essential parts I'll order from Germany will hopefully be waiting for me early January... Oh well. Ah, before I forget, I don't have a scratch, but a new helmet is on the list of essentials.

I guess I'll be as the Casa Blanca in Cali this week and will then probably travel via Medellin and Bogota to Barranquilla.

[​IMG]
  20. jimmex

jimmex Guero con moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    Glad you're OK. Jim