1. Chickenstrip

Chickenstrip Long timer

Oddometer:
    I watched this very thing a few weeks ago while waiting for my S.O. at BAM cinema. A guy on an unplated dirt bike with no tail light just trolling about when a cop car comes right up behind him. I could tell the rider was anxious about being stopped (he slowed way down, looked behind just waiting to be lit up), but the cops said not a word. They even cruised behind him for a short block before turning. I wanted to ask them what was up with that, but they got too far away to find 'em. This kind of stuff undermines their authority, to say the least.
  2. Domiken

Domiken Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been on Woodhaven Blvd in Queens where there's over 40 of them, on quads and dirtbikes (including underage minors) literally driving around the main road, sidewalks, with no helmet, gear, etc. Not one PO in the area paid attention, I guess after the death of the guy that was rear ended a few months ago, it's ok to ride illegal?
  3. jachard

jachard Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, it will only be a matter of time when one of these bungholes hits and kills a pedestrian. What is frustrating is NYPD command sets up these safety checks and general harrasment policies to allegedly curb this activity and in the end all they do is go after the law abiding types($$).

I'ts a great message NYPD are sending out, just forget everything like license, reg etc, ride like a lunatic and we won't bother you....
  4. Fibzzz

Fibzzz Resident Cynic

Oddometer:
    Cops know if they pull over a guy wearing full gear on a GS for example, chances are good that the major stuff (plate, reg, insurance, license) will be in order and it will be a quick, easy stop. They'll look for a tic-tac violation to write him for because they know the guy will go home and pay the fine.

The shirtless, helmet-less dumbass on a quad with no plate is a different story; you'd think they would focus on this kind of guy, but it's a higher-risk stop. More likely to run, might be carrying a weapon, probably doesn't have ID or valid reg, has to be arrested, transported, booked, statement given, report written, vehicle impounded, etc. And the cops don't want to be bothered. They just want to reach the end of their shift and go home to their families; not stay late doing paperwork because of some moron.

That's the real reason, and we all know it. Doesn't make it right, though.
  5. TengaiJohn

TengaiJohn Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Rich and Eddie,

Thanks for the offer but Roy was in the area and confirmed for me that the truck exists.

Unfortunately, I already have 3 white cages and can't bring another one home.

If someone is interested in a cheap (less than a grand) white Discovery I can check it out for you and probably fix it for very little money ($25 for a brake light switch).

Thanks guys!

Thanks Roy!
  6. TengaiJohn

TengaiJohn Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sorry, apt rented already.
  7. 175grams

175grams Old Town Outfitters, Antigua, Guatemala

Oddometer:
    No worries, thanks for checking.
  8. CMantis

CMantis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  9. existent80

existent80 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The NYMSTF, thanks to a great presentation by wiseblood, got most of its recommendations for motorcycle parking approved by CB4's Transportation Planning Committee. Read all about it. :clap

Mark your calendars: the Transportation Planning Committee will present their resolution to the full CB4 board for approval, Wednesday, June 5, 6:30 p.m. 119 Ninth Avenue (betw. 17th and 18th Sts), Fulton Auditorium. This will also be a public hearing and it will be important for riders to come to show their support for the resolution. :deal

It's up to you to show up, speak clearly and succinctly about your need for parking in the area. This isn't the existent80 and wiseblood show; I don't live or work on the west side and CB4 knows it. Two local riders showed up: a resident and a business owner, and when they talked, the committee really listened.

What'cha gonna do? Are you going to reply to the NYMSTF e-mail or PM me and offer to help? Flyer? Take photos and do bike-counting walkabouts to bolster our presentation? Tell your neighbors to get on our mailing list already and show up June 5? :ear
  10. HaChayalBoded

HaChayalBoded Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer:
    Hey guys, anyone have any petite womens riding gear? I'm teaching a local girl how to ride. She's 5'2, 100lbs.

Got her on a Buell Blast (tip, if you are needing a jackhammer but don't have one, you can substitute a Buell Blast).

Took her to Floyd Bennet yesterday for a few hours, she did great. :clap

Didn't drop the bike but did stall a few times. But that's more likely to do with the instant on\off engagement of the Buell.

She most likely would take an XS in everything. I'm guestimating her at 26/18/26 with a roughly 28" inseam.

Anyone have anything lying around collecting dust?
  11. devo2002

devo2002 Long timer

Oddometer:
    So strange. To contrast the NYC frustration, just got back from my first trip to Los Angeles, where parking in areas is free for motorcycles and parking in malls is free. Lane splitting as well, but most of you know that. I called for a quote and insurance is way cheaper than any of the boroughs. Plus 365 days of perfect riding weather (I say perfect for the crackheads that ride during snowstorms), why are we here again?:lol3
  12. Fibzzz

Fibzzz Resident Cynic

Oddometer:
    I lived in LA for 5 years and rode my RC51 to and from work every day (and to and from the Malibu canyons every weekend). No complaints about the weather for sure, but there are a lot more cars on the road and the number of clueless, distracted drivers is TRIPLE what it is here in NY. I can't even guess at how many close calls I had out there from drivers wandering into my lane, signaling right then turning left, not signaling at all, running red lights, you name it. All from just not paying attention.

Riding in NY is war, but at least you know your enemy is actively engaged! Out there, the enemy is more worried about the lines she has to memorize for her audition in 20 minutes and oh-my-god-I'm-gonna-be-late-to-yoga! And you and your bike are just collateral damage!
  13. Petzl

Petzl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I got a new leather coat. Harley Logo on it. XS Size
  14. Zodiac

Zodiac loosely portrayed

Oddometer:
    LA is a dream compared to here, I'm there monthly. Their worst traffic is nothing compared to ours - their roads and highways are for the most part incredible, they grow when the city grows. There's 4 ways to go anywhere, and 5 lanes to do it on.

Mayor Bloomberg should be made to drive the last bit of the Jackie Rob on a turbo charged PUCH moped. Why can't they fix these roads? Or the FDR?

Yet we POUR $ into million dollar jungle jims in Central Park that only the tourists visit....
  15. Rectaltronics

Rectaltronics Barned

Oddometer:
    fixt.

And you obviously haven't been in NYC much. Here in Queens, I see that every day and that's just from the few blocks from my apartment to Queens Boulevard, which is an entire subject of discussion itself.
  16. Fibzzz

Fibzzz Resident Cynic

Oddometer:
    I lived in NYC for 10 years, and commute here every day from NJ for work, either on my bike or in a car. Seen plenty. And LA is worse.
  17. hipnotik

hipnotik Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Eddie,

I have a S or XS Arai helmet in good condition she can have for no charge. Maybe also a jacket. I will have to check.
    PM me for more info.

18. dmkun

dmkun Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Or this..... :lol3
    [​IMG]
  19. Domiken

Domiken Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was just posting the same thing, I snapped this while stuck in traffic today
    [​IMG]

How great would that be if we actually had motorcycle parking...
  20. Speedo66

Speedo66 Transient

Oddometer:
    Branchville Motors closing? Heard a rumor that the Triumph, Guzzi, Vespa dealer in CT has closed.

Anybody know anything about it?