nOObs Rally End of March Madness 2012 Ride Report

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by airborndad, Mar 23, 2012.

1. Off Limits

Off Limits Banned

Oddometer:
    So I brought my wife and kid so this is a ride n drive report.

We left Thursday and seen this sick adventure bike.

[​IMG]

But before that we loaded the truck. Stroller, dump truck, there's also the fastest dr650 hidden in there also.

[​IMG]

Coming into the panamint valley, we got buzzed by two f-18s

They were so low I was flashing my brights at them while yelling at my wife to get a picture.
    [​IMG]

Sunrise came early Friday since my son wakes up at 615 every morning.

[​IMG]

On Friday pointman took us on a ride to Cerro Gordo.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After Cerro Gordo we went over the backside towards saline valley road, did hunter mountain towards tea kettle junction. Lunch at tea kettle and a Hebrew lesson. We then went down lippencott pass. DannyG got a front flat at the bottom but it only delayed us 20 minutes. Fridays mileage was 149 miles.
  2. Off Limits

Off Limits Banned

Oddometer:
    On saturday we went for the panamint cabin tour. we saw 3 or 4 cabins. first we went up to briggs cabin. we went up the front side which was really rocky and technical, also the wind was blowing 50kts, at least it blew the dust away. I didnt take any pictures on the way or on the way back. only this video of the cabin, which is so hidden away that there is no way any noobs could even get there. while we were there a couple of jeeps pulled in coming from the trail above, so i was thinking the hard part was over. boy was i wrong! lets just say its instant death if you go off the trail. it was really crazy and impressive at the same time. at the top there was hidden meadows and a few more cabins. i think we did 90 miles that day but they were really hard and technical. at the top there was a really steep hill climb with about an 80 mph crosswind that almost blew over dannyG and blew over Finn on the husaberg, i made it all the way too the top and looked back and saw everyone turning around. so i crept back down. probably the hardest trail ive ridden the DR-650 up so far. we went out suprise cabin then back to psr where i showered and loaded up and went home saturday night. really fun trip, thanks to everyone who made it fun. heres the only pic/vid from saturday

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/4xbNdwPXryc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  3. FYYFF

FYYFF Forever young...

Oddometer:
    Here is my RR for 2012 DV noob's Rally.

I was the last one to leave for DV as usual. :cry Worked until 5:00pm and left at 5:00:01 sharp. :D
    Unfortunately I had to go through 5 Fwy all the way to 2 and then Angeles Crest. Since we took it last year for Kennedy Meadows with Rich (M1Jeep), I never take 5 to 14 anymore. It saves about 20 miles but more importantly it is a great ride.

5 Fwy
    [​IMG]

Going to Angeles Crest
    [​IMG]

Last DV trip I took 395 all the way up to Olanca and catch 190 from there but this time I rode through Trona. The road was dark and lonely...
    [​IMG]

But the weather was surprisingly warm. And not windy. So it was a very nice ride for me. When I finally arrive at the camp it was little after 9:00pm. I said hi to friends and checked in to my suite.
    I was reading posts from camp until 5pm so I heard about Prakesh's little accident. I found him by the fire with Diego (Perro From Hell) and Eric (Fudgypup).
    He wasn't in a bad mood at all. :D
    [​IMG]

Saturday morning every body was ready to ride/drive.
    Rich (M1Jeep) was driving his "armor" this time due to a freak accident messed up his knee last month at CNF.
    [​IMG]

Eric is getting ready for his ride while John is taking Prakesh and his bike back to LA in his truck on the background.
    [​IMG]

Joel's new van: apparently he took off my poster from it. :ddog
    [​IMG]

Most beautiiful bike in the camp. :evil And check out the tent on top of that truck...
    [​IMG]

Pete (Grinch), Nancy (Izzyblue) & Finn (LostRider) having their morning coffee at the restaurant. Grinch looks very happy, probably he knew that he was gonna win the big prize (Garmin Montana) tonight. :lol3
    [​IMG]

Our 10 rider Saturday group was down to 3 by 9:00am Saturday morning :ddog, Larry (GalacticGS), Joel and me. We took pavement to Furnace Creek for breakfast and met Super Suz at the restaurant. She was riding her street bike this time.
    [​IMG]

190 was windy as hell. Then we took West Side Road and it was windy as well. So we were fighting with wind all the way to Warm Springs Road.
    Warm Springs Road was very very rocky. It is a good thing that I didn't air down at all. So for the first time in DV, no flats at all. :clap
    Joel is taking a break from rough rocky trail.
    [​IMG]
    He asked me to take a picture first before helping him up. :lol3

We made it to Geologist cabin around 1:00pm.
    [​IMG]

Scenery was breathtaking as usual.
    [​IMG]

Our ride leader Larry. He is faaasssttt oh his small bike......
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

We made it up to Mengel Pass with out an issue. Boulders on that hill was placed comfortably to navigate around. Met Lior and Moshe at the top. They were low on fuel so Joel helped them out. I dont know how much he charged them per gallon...
    [​IMG]

Sito and Moshe had some fun on that steep hill looking for a short cut to cabins.
    [​IMG]

Joel is riding through one of many rock gardens on the way to Golar.
    [​IMG]

Unlike me, Joel choose the right line for the steps and made is just fine.
    [​IMG]

Here is the proof:
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ga9-88Ixh54" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ballarat:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Defender of the town:
    [​IMG]

Father & Son (I assume). I dont have the names, sorry.
    [​IMG]

Heading back to camp after a long and tiring ride. Thanks alot Larry for leading.
    [​IMG]

We were back at the camp before 4:00pm and Eric (Fudgypup) invited me for a short ride to Darvin.
    Diego (Perro From Hell)
    [​IMG]

That place is just dead... I dont know what people are doing there? Any idea???
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Commander Fudgypup
    [​IMG]

Diego on his 990R
    [​IMG]

And Josh.
    [​IMG]

Back at the camp, Todd and Eric. Twin towers:
    [​IMG]

Saturday night was extremely windy. If it wasn't the little hope for winning a bottle of Karma, I wouldn't be standing there freezing my ass off... :rofl Raffle and the presentation was hilarious thanks to 1224R. :clap :clap :clap
    [​IMG]

Sunday morning everybody was getting ready to get back. Joel decided to try Macademia's Beemer, he was missing something... :confused
    [​IMG]

Duy figured it out soon, about 6 to 8 inches... :getiton
    [​IMG]

Big guns are loading their bikes into their bedroom/livingroom/kithcen/garage = trailer
    [​IMG]

There is a little boy sandwiched between his dad and camping gear, probably around 5 years-old. :D
    [​IMG]

Following Duy towards Trona:
    [​IMG]

And John (Luv2Race) following me:
    [​IMG]

Bye bye beautiful. See you soon.
    [​IMG]

I hope you made it all the way to here. I know it was a long report. :lol3 More pictures are on my SmugMug. Videos are coming...
    That is my RR for this years noob's rally. Thanks again to Joel and all the volunteers, and also all the riders that made this possible. Hope to see you next year.
  4. Super Suz

Super Suz N00b with B00b

Oddometer:
    Great pics and stories! Some of the adventures that happened at DV had a price to pay. Hopefully they are all recoverable. The one story about the dog named Joe that was in the tent, that's a sad story but with an ending that turned out ok. I tell you what. It was so good to see Cathy Sopascat and friends having a blast laughing their heads off on Sat night. It was so nice to see the regulars having fun together. Many ADV people have been hanging out together for years now and those folks seemed to have no problem with inviting the n00bs to have fun with them both at camp and on the trail. Thanks to everyone who contributed. I'll have some videos soon. Rode through the wind and rain and cold on Sunday. But it was all well worth it!
  5. fudgypup

fudgypup Banned

Oddometer:
    (edit: more pics to come shortly)

side shot
    [​IMG]

rear shot
    [​IMG]

I'm not the best ride report writer. I'm known more for the first one to post pics and video, or for stupid comments. :D

I'll just start by mentioning a few things that really stand out the most for me.

[​IMG]

Distance: 920 miles for me. 440 were there and back so that leaves 480 of fun. The GSA handled all that very well.

fudgypup 2.0 Got the Klim Dakar pants with what turned out to be the wrong pullover. Thought I was getting the one that breathed.
    [​IMG]

Weather: Unbelievable weather (aside from the high winds on Saturday). It was tshirt weather at night and got only to about 92 on the valley floors.

plush accommodations at camp PSR
    [​IMG]

The stars never cease to amaze me. You can clearly see the milky way as well as the planets. At sunset the bats came out and kept us pretty much bug-free. If you looked really hard at the night sky, you could even see fireworks! :rofl If only that PSR guy was as passionate about providing us with hot water showers as he was fireworks, PSR would have been perfect. Can't forget the fighter jets buzzing the valley either. I'm glad that everyone I spoke to thought that was cool and not an annoyance. 60% of the time they give me goose bumps every time.

Technology: The iPhone continues to amaze. Even with the spotty wi-fi, I was able to locate Macadamia on Thu night once Spafxer told me he and the other two were missing. We went straight there. Well, by "we" I mean other people actually. That was really cool to see fellow inmates muster a search operation. Many continued thanks and extra point to you guys for stepping up. It won't be forgotten.

[​IMG]

Scenery. It's really impossible to describe, let alone capture in a photo or video. The sense of scale is incredible. You see valleys that stretch off into the distance for 40-50 miles; moutain ranges lit up by the late afternoon or early morning light, vast stretches of untouched desert. We took Hunter Mountain over to Teakettle, etc... and once we turned right onto that trail it was like stepping into another magical world. And to think just over a year ago I thought "why the hell would ANYONE ever want to visit a place called Death Valley?" One of my fellow riders said that on two occaisions the scenery brought him to tears. I was blown away at hearing that not just because he'd admit it (it's okay), but that I too had done the same thing last year at the moment I realized I was about to see the Grand Canyon for the first time.

BIG mountains
    [​IMG]

BIG sunsets
    [​IMG]

Terrain: The riding terrain was so nice. A huge diversity that makes you glad you went. I'm starting to even get bored of the same old stuff, which makes going to DV such a great experience. There were some sucky sections but those were just boring or tedious than super difficult. The ride we started Thur (and finished Saturday) from PSR to Darwin was really not that exciting. A good warm up maybe. The road from Teakettle Junction to Ubehebe would have been awesome for a big bike like mine if it weren't so washboarded. Other than that, it was all good. Even Sunday's ride that was supposed to be an easy and short ride through Panamint Valley turned out to have the most fun terrain. We had these fun small washouts that were fun for me to practice lofting my front wheel over. There were great high speed graded roads. Really fun single track with not too many whoops. And of course, SAND. This new suspension and 21" front wheel has really made a world of difference. I only fell once all weekend and that was the deep sand Sunday that had the turn it. I had to slow down and that's when I lost it.

Beer: Brought my own growlers and that seemed to go over well. PSR has probably the best beer selection I've ever seen. It's notable really for the QUALITY of beers they have available. Hard to find in a more populated area let alone Death Valley. This was just their bottled beer. Their tap handles was where the really good stuff was. :clap
    [​IMG]

ms. fudgypup tagged along and did her own tour of the sights w/Mrs. TheRider and Mini-Me TheRider. Word has it there was a bit of leg-humping going on when I was gone. Easy guys, she's taken. :)
    [​IMG]

Fran: My gf, who's never been camping before IN HER LIFE chose to come with me. She was a trooper and had her own adventures. At times it was a bit much, but she was committed and had a great attitude. She said she met a lot of great people and enjoyed herself. She got to see more of DV with Mrs. TheRider and Mini-Me TheRider. They went to Scotty's Castle, Stovepipe, Furnace Creek, Dante's View, Badwater, etc... Having someone like that want to come be a part of a weekend like this is priceless. Tell your significant others that they should come to more of these things.

Perro from Hell: Diego and I rode up together and did most of the same rides. He's getting a lot more capable on that KTM very quickly. After a particularly good section, wait for him to give his signature Colombian exclamation. :lol3 At one point I looked back at him and saw the biggest grin on his face. I think he was having a really good time.

MotoK: This was Prakash's second time on the dirt on his brand new Suzuki 650. These trails can seem like quite a lot to handle for a n00b, and unfortunately one of them turned out that way for his foot. :cry We turned right off Chloride Cliff Rd or something and had this 5 mile long stretch of medium to deep sand. I had to stop about half way simply because I was exhausted. I looked back and saw that he had fallen. We got him off to the ER and they fixed him up. HUGE thanks again to GalacticGS and Libratrades for getting Prakash and his bike back to camp and Jnyrav for hauling him home. I hope we see you back again soon. We'll have to get you out to see Jimmy Lewis. Key lesson here I think is don't wear street boots offroad. You really need that foot/ankle protection.

I met a lot of other really great inmates. Josh, Surferbum, SeniorPeligro, BigToad, LostRider, IzzyBlue, Cowgirl, etc... Too many to count.

Rides: Got there Thur around lunch time. Set up camp then went for a short ride from PSR up the Old Toll Rd headed to Darwin. We took a right instead of a left at the sand wash and ended up at a dead end at a place called China Gardens Spring.

Friday was GalacticGS's ride to Chloride Cliffs, Beatty, Rhyolite, Titus Canyon. Our injury delay had us cut out a section but it was still great.

Saturday's Pointman ride fizzled out (not sure why?) so Perro from Hell, Josh and I planned our own ride. We all wanted to see the Racetrack Playa but we cut out the Cerro Gordo part. We went up 190 to Saline Valley Rd, then Hunter Mountain and down to Teakettle, then Racetrack and back past Teakettle up to Ubehebe Crater. We slabbed it back to Stovepipe because the others were low on gas. I gassed up in December, so I was still good. :lol3

See, that's funny because I ride a GSA... that has an 8.7 gallon tank... that I don't need to fill up as much. (ha ha, nevermind)

Sunday's ride was led by LostRider and IzzyBlue. Went down 190 east just past the dry lake bed of Panamint Valley and headed down that two track towards Ballarat. Ron was on his KTM and had a bad get off after hitting a washout the wrong way. He hurt his wrist so LostRider did some field dressing and we sent him back with MNCherryinCA, who had a worsening clutch situation. Ron, please let us know what ended up with the wrist.

The video I posted above is of our stop at Ballarat.

I didn't take a whole lot of pics this time because my camera typically is tethered to my jacket and I ended up riding with the vest this time instead. I ended up taking more video so here it is.

<IFRAME src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ylpLxRI8e74" frameBorder=0 width=960 height=720 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>

Disclaimer: this image on the intro is not the official DV n00bs logo. I don't want to undermine John's hard work and artistic talent. Diego's a graphic artist too and I just liked the look of it for my own sake. It's not like this is some copyrighted for-profit enterprise; just a bunch of amateurs who like to ride. Down here in OC you can't pass a street sign that doesn't have some guy's sticker on it with is cool design he wants to show off.
  6. airborndad

airborndad Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't think (didn't hear him) Joe the dog was in there Saturday when I found the tent on top of the cactus,
    I pulled the tent off the cactus and pointed it in line with the wind direction
    then I took the top off of the mangled EZ-UP frame because it looked like it was really close to launching into RobG's trailer
  7. nsfw

nsfw Death Valley Noobs Rally Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    hahaha....don't think this one belongs here, told everyone i didn't drop the bike....:muutt

right leg got pinned on the berm, could not get out.
    thanks ersin for the rescue.

lots of good pics been posted and thanks, we have more coming...as usual, i have over 1000 pics.....:yikes
  8. Zen Slug

Zen Slug Spineless Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  9. sopascat

sopascat not much of an adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey, Eran :wave
  10. bigtodd

bigtodd Hi, wanna ride?

Oddometer:
    What a great weekend and especially for my first DV Noobs Rally and first time to DV. Riding in from Trona road I almost blew the first turn dropping into the valley because I was so surprised by the view. Didn't get into PSR unitl about 12:30 Friday which put me and Bob (MNcherryinCA) out in the back of the campground, but that proved to be great as it was super quiet and we had an amazing view.

Our site
    [​IMG]

our view
    [​IMG]

Friday night Jimmy Lewis demo; "this is how you should ride over a little rock"
    [​IMG]

Joel and Jimmy
    [​IMG]

Saturday was a great ride led my TBarstow and it was a nice tight group and good mix of riders. First stop was Choloride Cliffs

"One small step for man, one giant leap for ADV" - TBarstoiw
    [​IMG]

bigtoad meets bigtodd
    [​IMG]

Yes folks, John (luv2race) did take his 990 right to the edge of the look out .... SKILLS!
    [​IMG]

I think coming down was more impressive, that was not easy ... and he didn't want to do it again for vid
    [​IMG]

Master Chief?
    [​IMG]

Second half the of the day was in Titus Canyon. For my first time, I can only say AMAZING. Tim's suggestion of coasting down the canyon was great and made it that much more enjoyable.

it begins
    [​IMG]

the guys
    [​IMG]

Bob and Tim
    [​IMG]

Sunday LostRider led a fun relaxed ride around Pennamint Valley. We planned to check out some cabins but called it short ... was a great ride and easy cruise on the big red beast.

stopped at Ballarat for a cold one with Rocky, bikes out front
    [​IMG]

Finn is a great guy and a super ambassador for the sport ... Love the LOST decal on his helmet
    [​IMG]

See all the pics here: http://photobucket.com/2012_noobs_dv
  11. fudgypup

fudgypup Banned

Oddometer:
    Great pics, Todd. Riding home was fun through the wind and decreasing temps. It got down to 47 in the Cajon pass. :eek1

I like this pic the best. Basically, all's I did was start a fire with the coals from the previous night using just an air pump. No big deal. I taught Bear Grylls that one.

[​IMG]

Srsly though, who got that wood? That stuff burned forever. Must have been good hardwood. It was a shame we left so much but I bet the next campers will be grateful.
  12. bigtodd

bigtodd Hi, wanna ride?

Oddometer:
    This is living ...

Breakfast at zero dark thirty
    [​IMG]

Fudgy making fire from the previous night's embers

[​IMG]

Gas prices in PSR
    [​IMG]
  13. Scrambleon

Scrambleon Been here awhile

Oddometer:

That my friend is Tollhouse oak firewood you were burning from yours truely.:D If it had not been so windy on Saturday nite I'm sure more of the wood would have been burned up. I wasn't about to reload and haul it home.

Scrambleon
  14. El Zorrillo

El Zorrillo charity case

Oddometer:
    joel,

do you have any pics of the heavy duty trash compactor the campground operators had to call in after the event?

that thing scared the shit out of me.
  15. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    They should just put the trash on the inside of anywhere you try to make a turn....voila compacted trash.....:lol3
  16. pinocono

pinocono Fucking Pirate

Oddometer:
    I can't believe my first n00b Rally is history. 4 days filled with riding, camping, eating, drinking, and swapping lies with friends new and newer. The brotherhood of the motorcycle builds strong bonds indeed.

My first taste of dirt on this trip was Randsburg-Mojave Rd, out of Cal City. My loaded Husky TE630 handled this quite easily, and the bike proved to be very capable and forgiving in my less than competent hands all weekend.
    [​IMG]

I rolled into PSR at about 2PM Thursday and found many open campsites. This one looked good, so the tent got pitched. Home-Sweet-Home for the next few days.
    [​IMG]

I was soon sharing the site with 2 mates, Bitwrench (Jack) and francisthepig (Robert). I've been acquainted with Robert for a few years, and his enthusiasm for the n00b Rally helped convince me to attend.
    Bitwrench was great, he had a motel room Friday night and allowed me to run over there and take a nice HOT shower.
    [​IMG]

Friday morning came soon enough, and it was time to hit the road. I had signed up for GalacticGS's (Larry) n00b tour to Chloride Cliff, Beatty, Rhyolite, and Titus Canyon. It was a great group of guys of varying abilities, and those with more experience were great at helping us with less than stellar abilities. Let's not waste any time on pavemnt portion of the trip, and let's hit the dirt!
    [​IMG]

I've read a gazillion RR's on this site, and now I understand the disclamer as to why there weren't any pictures taken on the more difficult, but picturesque trail segments. I was just too busy trying to stay upright! Anyhow, here's a few pics from Chrloride Cliff:
    [​IMG]

Com'on Eric, walk across it, I double dog dare ya! He did.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If you see yourself in any these pictures, feel free to identify yourself. I'm not really good with names to begin with, and my little brain got overloaded with the sheer number of people I met this weekend.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

From the Chloride Cliff vista point, it was back down the way we came up, and the plan was to take back roads in to Beatty for lunch. We ran into a little snag. We ended up on a pretty loose, gravel and sand road, and one of our group, motok, had a DR650 that decided it wanted to lead with the rear tire. Unfortunately, from what I understand, he broke a few bones in his foot. Our fearless leader, GalacticGS, took charge of the situation, and arranged for an ambulance, and went back to camp to get a truck and rescue motok's bike. Heal quickly, motok!
    [​IMG]

With GalacticGS tending to motok, Fudgypup took over as Ride Captain. Pressed for time, we took a more direct route into Beatty and had lunch at Mel's Diner. No food pictures, I ate it too fast. I think I had the French Dip sandwich, but I'd need to check my receipt to be sure. After lunch, it was a quick fill up of gas, and on to Rhyolite. I won't bore folks with too many pictures from there, you've all seen them, and I didn't break any new ground in artistic photography.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

On to Titus Canyon. Easily the highlight of the day's ride, We didn't have time to lollygag (That was Duy's ride Saturday. Hi Duy!), so pictures are scarce, but the memories aren't.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I'm not a religious person, but there is something very spiritual going on in Titus Canyon. There's a presence that is difficult to put in to words.

From there it was slab back to camp, Jimmy Lewis' informative seminar, and a great dinner. The it was time for the social hour.

Saturday morning came awfully soon after an evening of too many beers and a night of not enough sleep. I jest. There's no such thing as too many beers.
    [​IMG]

I had signed up for r3r3r's (Randall) ride to Ballarat, through Goler Wash, over Mengel Pass, with a cabin to visit, and some fantastic riding on a variety of off-road surfaces. Friday night, I was really whooped, and almost talked myself out of this ride. I am so glad I didn't. These guys were great, and riding with them had me challenging myself, and growing as an off-road rider.

Here's a group shot at the start of Indian Ranch Road.
    [​IMG]

Ballarat. We didn't hang here long, just enough for the group to get back together. We had important places to go. Goler Wash.
    [​IMG]

Much has been documented about the steps in Goler Wash, and there's really not much I can add. They aren't that bad. You just need to decide you're going up them, and commit to doing just that.

Looking back down the wash from near the steps.
    [​IMG]

Shots at the steps:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

We got everybody up the steps, even surferbum's (Matt) GS1200! That guy's a gamer! I rode with him both Friday and Saturday, he's great.
    [​IMG]

On to Mengel Pass, a lot of challenging (for me), but fun, sections. When we got to the top of the pass, we got a taste of the winds that would be a part of the rest of the day, and in to the night.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Down the pass we went, and headed to what I believe is Stella's Cabin for a much needed lunch break.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It took some effort to roust a few of us from the lethergy brought on by lunch, but we did get back on the bikes and headed down Butte Valley and Warm Spring Canyon to West Side Road. West Side Road was just fast, fast, fast, dusty, and did I say fast. I thought I was haulin', when r3r3r blasted by me like I was stuck in 1st gear! Randal did yeoman's duty herding his cats. He must've put on an additional 60 miles or more running back and forth to check on us stragglers.
    [​IMG]

From there it was the tar to Furnace Creek to gas up, and on back to PSR for dinner, the chance to win some great swag, and the sharing of ride stories over some beer pops.:freaky

I want to thank everybody I came in contact with for making this a fantastic event for me. From the ride leaders, to the folks that made the dinners happen, to each and every one of you that gave me encouragement and pointers, to my fellow n00bs that inspired me, thank you for a great time.

And Joel, thanks for organizing this shindig. It really is an event where the"elders" pass on their knowledge and take us n00bs under their wings, to show us the way. I've been having fun on this bike for several months now, but I am really hooked now. I had more fun than a tornado in a trailer park.

Dave
  17. M1Jeep

M1Jeep Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, since my injury has me off the bike for a while I decided to take the Jeep and my GF. It was her first time to DV also.

[​IMG]

We set up camp and then headed out for the Goler Wash:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Kaye and I turned the corner and saw some Nor Cal ADV riders: pcfly, dirty duane, jimmy, and jody (from MI). They just finished pushing one of their bikes up the Goler step. It took me a few attempts to get up the step (open diffs):

<iframe frameborder="0" scrolling="no" width="272" height="480" src="https://api.smugmug.com/services/embed/1777175914_w6vDWwJ?width=272&height=480"></iframe>

Once up top the riders asked if I could winch up the f800gs...

[​IMG]

Since I had the cable out, I offered to have the remaining bikes winched up. Remember the o'l saying, "work smarter, not harder".

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After the fun at the step, we bumped along the trail to Mengal Pass...

[​IMG]

I found this rock that looked laying on its side and couldn't resist to hump it...

[​IMG]

Mengal Pass was in good shape...

[​IMG]

Butte Valley...

[​IMG]

We visited Stella's Place...

[​IMG]

The fridge was packed with provisions and the cabin was pretty clean...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Warm Springs Rd...

[​IMG]

We slabbed it to Badwater in time before the sundown, then back to camp.

[​IMG]

Friday we headed out to the hot springs. Saline Valley Road...

[​IMG]

Panamint Valley from above...

[​IMG]

Descending into Saline Valley. These panorama photos really do not do this place justice. This place is HUGE! :eek1

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Saturday's plan was to visit the touristy stuff in the northeast of the park, pick up dinner in Beatty and then back to PSR. The wind was really blowing. It looked like smoke on the highway...

[​IMG]

Ran into Eric, Diego, and Josh at Ubehebe crater. It was the windiest ever!

[​IMG]

Check out Josh back there!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Drove up to the Titus Canyon exit, parked and hiked in...

[​IMG]

Stopped in Rhyolite for a quick tour...
    [​IMG]

Then onto Beatty and then camp, which I did not get any pictures. :cry

Thanks again to Joel and all the volunteers who put in all their hard work to make this rally possible. :clap
  18. jarthur

jarthur Old Desert Rat

Oddometer:
    Thanks again Joel for organizing another great event!

Thanks to Jim and Pablo for taking gas to the Hot Springs!

Rich, Mike, Jack, Mike, Isaac, and Steve made up the group.

Here is our group at the bottom of the steps before rounding the corner to Eueka Valley with our new 4x4 friends.

[​IMG]

The exit of the steps looking up hill.

[​IMG]

Eureka Dunes.

[​IMG]

Crankshft Junction

[​IMG]

Mike, Mike and Steve at Tea Kettle

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Had a fabulous ride. Cheers mates!
  19. Mikey113

Mikey113 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Jack. I am glad you were able to document "The Steel Pass Seven." Super group of guys. That was a great ride. I appreciate you and Steve keeping up with me :D

The Steel ride was challenging and got me ready for Goler / Mengal on Saturday. Randall (r3r3r) was equally a good ride leader. You guys are a wealth of knowledge. Back in camp Josh and Keith were good company and guys I'd like to ride with in the future. Everyone I spoke with was cool - there just wasn't enough time get to know ya-all.

And then there is James. My road dog. 16 hours in a truck with him and I can't say a bad thing about him. What a relief. A rainy Tuesday night aligned the stars (or clouds) to make me decide to trailer rather than truck. The broken KTM brought three strangers, including Special Agent Nancy, together for a ride back to the bay area. Good times, no MFA's in this crowd.

Joel, Jimmy, Jim volunteers - THANK YOU!

Quick stats: truck miles - 1415, bike miles - 544, laughs - too many to count, beers - just enough, wind - FYYFW :boid

Hope to see you all soon!
  20. surferbum

surferbum Long timer

Oddometer:
    Relocated to Scottsdale, AZ from SF Bay area
    Here's some pano photos + others until my RR is done.

Enjoy. Here's a linky.

<table style="width:194px;"><tbody><tr><td style="height:194px;background:url(<a href=" https:="" picasaweb.google.com="" s="" c="" transparent_album_background.gif"="" target="_blank" align="center"> >[​IMG]</td></tr><tr><td style="text-align:center;font-family:arial,sans-serif;font-size:11px">2012 Noobs Rally</td></tr></tbody></table>

<table style="width:auto;"><tbody><tr><td>[​IMG]</td></tr><tr><td style="font-family:arial,sans-serif; font-size:11px; text-align:right">From 2012 Noobs Rally</td></tr></tbody></table>

<table style="width:auto;"><tbody><tr><td>[​IMG]</td></tr><tr><td style="font-family:arial,sans-serif; font-size:11px; text-align:right">From 2012 Noobs Rally</td></tr></tbody></table>