High Desert Plated Dirt Bike Rides

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest & whatever' started by Jeff aka BOLT, Sep 24, 2012.

1. Jeff aka BOLT

Jeff aka BOLT Prefer Saturdays

Oddometer:
    Hi fellas... there is quite the variety of ADVENTURERS ON WHEELS on this site. All things seem to vary... bikes, terrain, mix of street / dirt & skill level. I've watched a lot of threads develop over the past few years. Many groups have found there niche' here on ADV.

But I thought there might be room for another that fits several of us High Desert Plated Dirt Bikers.

From Yucca Valley to Apple Valley to Ridgecrest there are many of us lurking here on ADV. We have plates on our dirt bikes and we consider ourselves adventurers, but we ride more dirt than street/road. The plate is a means to enter otherwise banned dirt bike heaven... and to stitch one good trail to the next with the least amount of flat road connectors as possible. We are the guys that save our valves, tires and oil from commuter miles by riding locally out of our back yards in the high desert to the foot hills and into the mountains. I am probably the newest of the bunch... but we have legends of riding knowledge here in the vast Mojave !

To some this is not at all the description of an Adventure Rider. To me strapping on a fresh 500cc ass ripping fire breathing dirt bike licensed to go just about any place my skills will allow is QUITE AN ADVENTURE ! :clap

I hope you guys will join me... we have much fun yet to have ! :ricky
  2. Jeff aka BOLT

Oddometer:
    I'll be hitting the trails in Arrowhead Friday. Staging at Pinnacles. On the bike at 8AM. Might have a couple guying riding in from the dam. Ride includes Dish Pan, Redonda Ridge and Devils Hole.
  3. pcvance

pcvance Walk Verplank

Oddometer:
    We are the guys that save our valves, tires and oil from commuter miles by riding locally out of our back yards in the high desert to the foot hills and mountains.:thumb Or we truck our plated dirt bikes to the riding areas...:lol3
    Nice new thread Jeff, I look foward to riding with you again, soon.
    Perry:deal
  4. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    There are some of us in Nor Cal who do the same thing,we just use the Nevada desert instead,although Ive been to Apple Valley to ride,even out to Anza Borrego/Ocotillo Wells and loved em both.
    We can be in Gerlach NV in about 2.5 hours and be gone on our way to Idaho in dirt,or off to South Eastern Oregon high desert,all in dirt. Hardly any people out there and the high desert is a wild place to ride at times.

Weve had ice storms,rain,snow,wind or just solid 95/100 degree temps like this July when we went out there.

The plated 530 does the trick,I will take my 300 out there sometime. Much like off road Baja a plate is really not needed much,just nobody to check to see you have one.
  5. Jeff aka BOLT

Oddometer:
    Highs this week in the mid 80s. If you start your ride at 8-9AM temps will be in the high 60s. Doesn't hit 80F till noon. :clap

:thumb
  6. Kali Trailrider

Kali Trailrider PLATED X2

Oddometer:
    I will certainly try to hook up with you guys for some high desert rides.

But I have all of the Anza Borrego desert in my back yard as I live close to the San Diego border.
    One of my favorite rides is from Mtn pinos trail - down fish creek and to the Mexican border.
    Riding this area is amazing and the desert is full of life.
    It is nothing like Ocotillo wells but sometimes we stage out of that area and ride through Superstition Mtn.

Desert season is just around the corner... Get your bikes ready..!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  7. Jeff aka BOLT

Oddometer:
    I ride down near Ocotillo when it gets bitter cold up here in January. The plate opens up all the State Park stuff down there that they took away from us several years ago.

Our season is on now. When it gets too hot down there you have a place to ride up here. 3000 feet of elevation change makes a huge difference for sure.
  8. HAPPYTRAILSINC

HAPPYTRAILSINC single track rider

Oddometer:
  9. socaltrailrider

socaltrailrider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Count me in! I'll be keeping an eye on this thread. Almost time to shift my riding from Big Bear back to the desert.
  10. Mojave Mutt

Mojave Mutt Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am here! Ride from the garage in Apple Valley all the time but truck my bike to ride as well. Whenever possible I like to minimize the amount dirt roads and pavement I ride , I want to ride singletrack and sand!!

I like to ride all over the High Desert but most would find the areas I ride are off the grid and areas alot of people don't explore, but its good and its there! You guys would really enjoy some of my desert routes.

I do like to ride the Big Bear area but I don't ride Pinnacles, Redonda Ridge, John Bull, or any of that crap. If I ride mountain singletrack it has to be good, and Big Bear doesn't have any. The best places up there for me are the really old two tracks and decommisioned roads.

I'm riding right now but on the gimped list again, tore more meniscus in my knee in June and going to have it scoped in 2-3 weeks. Should be back to full form by Thanksgiving. Well, full form for a 61 year old broke down ex dez racer!!

This being said I am trying to put a ride together for Friday or saturday, but have to let pain be my guide.

Gmarly trail adventure riders unite!!
  11. Mojave Mutt

Mojave Mutt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice Pics Scott! Love that dark wet singletrack! Wish i could join you guys this weekend on the Green Mountain but in too much pain for that action. I have ridden up there but its probably been ten years. Rode out of California Hot Springs for three days .
  12. Jeff aka BOLT

Oddometer:
    Scott that can't be the Husky unless the pic is waaaaay old. It looks like a Chucky Cheese Exibition now. Glad to have you guys jumping in.

Hope we can put somethin fun together when you are feeling better Glenn. I actuallly enjoy zippin through the 2 track between Pinnacles and Arrowhead. I like rain ruts and rocks for some reason. But single track is where it's at. Just don't like to publish things outside of the well known numbered trails. Never have.

Haven't been to Green Mountain... but a buddy that lives up that way promises to show me trouble up there yet.
  13. Kali Trailrider

Kali Trailrider PLATED X2

Oddometer:
    I like to ride all over the High Desert but most would find the areas I ride are off the grid and areas alot of people don't explore, but its good and its there! You guys would really enjoy some of my desert routes.

Glenn -

I am an "On Any Sunday" rider these days due to my work schedule.
    Scott and John have told my about the trails you guys ride up there so I am in.

This weekend is bad for me but PM me of any up coming Sunday rides or post them here If you want.

I am always up for exploring new to me territory..!! :ricky

A little dusting of snow never hurt anybody..!!

[​IMG]
  14. HAPPYTRAILSINC

HAPPYTRAILSINC single track rider

Oddometer:

That is a "yamaha" just a few miles southwest of the slash!
    [​IMG]

like glenn says, none of those number'd trails for us, lotsa good stuff in the area though!
    [​IMG]
  15. pcvance

pcvance Walk Verplank

Oddometer:
    Yes, I will show you trouble up there...next month, b4 the snow flies.
  16. socaltrailrider

socaltrailrider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Lot's of good stuff in the high desert, just need to know where to find it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  17. Jeff aka BOLT

Oddometer:
    Well I hope it's remote. I hate whats become of the Husky.

Will I have to walk out ? Should I pack moccasins with my hydropak and tire irons ? :lol3

I am learning... little here... and a little there. But I've also spent too much time on Hammer style rock crawls when seeking stuff more like your photos. I kinda split my seat time evenly between exploring.... and riding stuff I like again. Also depends on who I am riding with of course.
  18. DirtRider....

DirtRider.... Wandering Turtle

Oddometer:
    Will watch this thread and join as I can:freaky
  19. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    Ive camped in Ocotillo when its fogged in and cold up here in nor cal. 85 degrees in Ocotillo in Feb when Ive been there.
    Its only a 13.5 hour drive from Chico.

Its like supercross trail riding. We do have about 400 miles of somewhat legal singletrack right out of town though.
  20. radbrad511

radbrad511 deer hunter

Oddometer:
    Jeff-
    I am planning to ride Friday AM. Will check back here Thurs. I usually stage at Cleghorn or the Dam. I know I ride by the Pinnacles often but, not sure how to get there by car. Perhaps we can hook up and roost! -Brad-:evil