Wee strom motardy thing

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by kiwimanz, Jan 10, 2009.

1. kiwimanz

kiwimanz anyone seen my gumboots

Oddometer:
    I'm in the process of turning my Wee into a motard sort of thing and have decided on the high fender, fat bar and Rox risers, Leo Vince system, etc.

I have ripped off all 14 acres of plastic up front and want to mount a set of lights and a small windscreen.

There are generic light kits out there, but bugger me they are proud of the $$$ they want from them. Any one had luck with the Baja kits? Not sure of the intensity of light they put out.

I really dig the amount of light I get from the stock Stroms lights, so the thinking is to adapt some PIAA lights.

Rather find a kit, to save my engineering time. Any ideas boyz?:1drink
  2. Reverand Roadblock

Reverand Roadblock Where are my pants

Oddometer:
    Duct-tape a MagLite to the handle bars? Maybe zip tie some cardboard for a windscreen?
    :D

Seriously though, that sounds awesome. I have no advice but would like to see pics when you are done.
  3. kiwimanz

Oddometer:
    Well at least the Maglite has an adjustable beam... ya just need two hands to do it:D
  4. tedder

tedder irregular

Oddometer:
    adapt stuff from a KLR?

We need pix. Nothing like pretending a pig is a real dirt bike :evil
  5. Spook 013

Spook 013 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A popular choice of headlight for naked or streetfighter bikes are some Buell headlights. They're compact, are dualheadlights, and put out good light. Any dirtbike-esque setup won't put out as much light, unless you get an HID racing light (for offroad use). I don't know of any DOT legal HIDs, other than BMW headlights, which are $$$.
  6. OConnor

OConnor Bad Juju

Oddometer:
    Victory has an HID headlight. You could try a different shell or something...
  7. Weekend_warrior

Weekend_warrior Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    eeehw! :puke1

How about an SV tank. For the lights you could also go for the naked SV round one or the uly front lights and screen.

E-bay is your friend.
  8. duckrider

duckrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Buell lites are light and cheap and also put out a reasonable amount of light.
    [​IMG]

The bike feels much smaller without all the plastic up front.
    [​IMG]
  9. flatmo

flatmo Americano

Oddometer:
    Hey duckrider, do you have more photos of that mod? Looks nice.
  10. Skippii

Skippii Did you eat my Zinger???

Oddometer:
  11. kiwimanz

Oddometer:
    That is a very sweet installation. Did you make a bracket to mount the lights coming off the fork tubes? Also, what windsheild is that off?
    Very nice work... exactly what I'm looking to do! The bike does feel way smaller with all the plastics off!
  12. Chader

Chader Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think it's the stock Strom shield.
  13. kiwimanz

Oddometer:
    Went to the Harley Store today and bought the Buell Uylesses head light set up. It was only $116 for the assm. Perfect! Thanks for the info guys
    cheers:clap
  14. duckrider

duckrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks, the bracket was made from 5/8 tubing. I posted pics of the process a few years ago. It was in one of the "thinstrom" threads. The shield is the stock piece with several inches cut from the bottom. Much less buffeting. The bike has changed quite a lot from those pics. I'll try to hose some of the mud off and post a few more recent pics. You can get a better look from this older pic before paint.

[​IMG]
  15. qwazimoto

qwazimoto Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG][/IMG] triumph thruxton seat hump ''windscreen", renthal bars, cheap lights from aztec8.com, not very bright though.
  16. kiwimanz

Oddometer:
    Thats a very clean modification! Do you find the Thruxton sheild gives you any benifit? Do you get and buffeting?
  17. qwazimoto

qwazimoto Adventurer

Oddometer:
    just headshake at around 85mph on interstates while around other traffic, on two lane roads you have to be pushing the limits to get any misbehavior or bad vibes. i guess it because of the wind turbulance on the freeway but i try to stay on back roads.

uh yeah i guess the only benifit of that triumph seat cover as a flyscreen is that it covers up the back of the gauges, and it was free. the wider mx bars help a lot
  18. qwazimoto

qwazimoto Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I agree that a sv tank is what is needed to "finish the look". with all the plastic gone it makes swapping between the sv tank and the larger capacity dl tank that much easier.
  19. OPNYD

OPNYD Not good; but I’m better than I was...

Oddometer:
    :D Not very bright?! Listen, sport fans, if you ride at night in Bambi-land, you're risking being a Larry Grodsky statistic. You don't know Larry? Google it. I don't give a rat's ass what you're riding or how many years, blah, blah... speak to the hand.

I'm currently on motorcycle #54 in 31 years of more-or-less continuous riding. The only thing that keeps me from competitions like Iron Butt (and yeah, I've done a 1000 mile day before... whatever...) is Bambi.

I've hit one on my R1100S (knocked 'em down, ran over him, stayed up, rode home to change my diapers....). Not fun. Don't want to die that way. Lights?? Lights? My ass! Lights are not deer repellents and if you're riding like most of us ride, you can't/won't stop in time.

Point being, make that WeeStrom look good. F' the light (function) IF NECESSARY. Unless you have a death wish, minimize (note, peasants, I didn't say eliminate) your night riding. Live to post another day.

By the bye, I use HID's in ALL my bikes (replacing the bulbs & remotely locating the ballasts). Makes you MUCH more visible to the cagers.

Let's be careful out there - and ride fast; get there before the accident.

Kevin:D
  20. qwazimoto

qwazimoto Adventurer

Oddometer:

Well put and I cant agree more. when i learned of what happened to Grodsky i suprised he would have been out there between dusk and dawn at all, drove trucks out that way to L.A. for a few years and saw few car/deer hits and a lot of dead ones on I10and I20. Deer are your enemy.