Redesigned front bumper

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by Boondox, Feb 2, 2014.

1. Boondox

Boondox Travels With Barley

Oddometer:
    I liked the one Claude designed, but at speeds over 70mph I got a bit of noise. Crossing Montana at 85-90 last summer it provided us with a virtual concert of dysphonic flute sounds.

Here's the old one:
    [​IMG]

And here's the redesigned version. This should do the trick!

[​IMG]
  2. davebig

davebig Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer:
    Very nice Peter, what sort of mileage do you get with the your rig ? Thanks
  3. JustKip

JustKip Long timer

Oddometer:
    And what sort of mileage do you get with those tires?
  4. Boondox

Oddometer:
    Dave - Mileage took a big hit at speed after I installed the ragtop for Barley, but the ride to Sedalia MO a couple years ago showed me I really had to do something to get him out of direct sunlight. On state and US highways doing 55-60 I get low 30s at best. At slab speeds it gets about 24-25mpg. Worst ever was across Montana at 85mph against a headwind when I got just below 18mpg.

On the plus side, Barley was a lot more comfortable on that 9000 mile trek.

JustKip - I had a pusher car tire but replaced it in Oregon after a blowout. The tub and front were Metzeler ME 880s that were pretty worn by the time we got home. I put the spoked rim back on the rear and replaced all with Heidenau K60s. I don't care for them on my GS, but they are awesome on my GSA hack! I only have about 2k on them, so can't speak to longevity yet.
  5. davebig

Oddometer:
    Do you leave the seat out so he can get lower possibly ? I hadn't thought about it but a big longhair wouldn't care for that much sun,hell Justin all of 17 pounds doesn't deal with it all that well, but it's easy for him to get some shade in the nose.DB
  6. claude

claude Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer:
    looks good peter
  7. Boondox

Oddometer:
    Yes. The seat was replaced by a full length memory foam dog bed long ago. I added a tonneau cover with a zippered hatch he could poke his head out of, but it didn't give him much air movement and he enjoys watching the world go by. I also fill a camelback with ice and lay that in there; when really hot he'll lay right on top of it.

But the ragtop really helped keep him out of the sun and yet allows plenty of air. It's also completely waterproof, which was a bonus. Not much fun camping with a wet dog, especially since he waits till inside the tent before shaking!
  8. davebig

Oddometer:
    Everything's cool so to speak unless you encounter Bison :lol3:lol3
  9. Melrone

Melrone Long timer

Oddometer:
    Very nice Peter!!! not as balky as the old one..I see what you were telling about the wings...See you this summer....:clap
  10. Boondox

Oddometer:
    Yeah, that was a bit of a surprise! Who coulda figured the friendliest dog on the planet would want a piece of the largest bison on the planet. And elk. And deer. And prairie dogs. And bears. And...

The dog has issues!
  11. redfishguide

redfishguide Old Dirt Biker Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi,

Would you mind telling me a little more about the lights your using on the new bumper set up. I think I could use something like that.

Thanks,
    Jack

And here's the redesigned version. This should do the trick!

[​IMG][/QUOTE]
  12. Boondox

Oddometer:
    Jack - Those are Clearwater Glendas. Glenn at Clearwater made custom wiring for me so they link up with the larger Kristas on the bike; all four lights are controlled by a single dimmer. All four run at half power normally, and all four go to full power when I hit the high beams or sound the horn.

There are less expensive alternatives out there but I need something dimmable, love the solid construction, and frankly, when I find a company that treats me well and stands behind their product even after the warranty expires I feel a certain amount of loyalty toward them.

Pete
  13. redfishguide

redfishguide Old Dirt Biker Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks much Boondox.

Jack