RallyBlitz - Rally iPhone App

Discussion in 'Racing' started by pilo, Nov 21, 2013.

1. pilo

pilo Rhymes with below

Oddometer:
    As I said in the Rally Navigation Mount thread, we just released v1.0 of an iphone App that has an adjustable ODO and a pretty well sorted CAP heading. We've logged some time on the device and think it works well enough to get it out there and continue to make improvements. We have plans for external switches and more features, but for now this does a good job of replicating an ODO (with big safe numbers) and CAP.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/yxtUJB0SlcQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

To answer Pete's question from the other thread, we have thousands of dirt miles on the iphone using only a RAM mount. I intentially have used no case on the iphone just to see how it would last. On my rally setup it used the RAM cradle with a pair of rubber washers underneath and it worked perfectly. Really any hardcore case should work well.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ysKzU0z7uw0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Since the odo adjust from the screen or volume controls I've used a set to headphones plugged in and zip tyed the adjuster near the thumb to create a makeshift remote adjuster. I realize that is a weak solution, but it worked fine for the Baja Rally though I have a real racing solution for that in the works.

Our website is really just a placeholder (www.rallyblitz.com). Most of the chatter on stuff happening will be on Facebook and here of course.

This has been a really fun project, and I'm pleased with how it is working. I hope other rally types will think the same.

-Phil
  2. Baja Dad

Baja Dad Long timer

Oddometer:
    I want !!!!!
  3. Pete640

Pete640 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the answers
    When will we be able to download it?
  4. cross-country

cross-country .

Oddometer:
  5. HogWild

HogWild Skott Whitknee

Oddometer:
    I think it's fantastic! It seems like a great solution for a rally enthusiast to try out some practice and fun roadbook navigation without spending big bucks on a traditional rally odometer. Of course they still need a roadbook reader, but maybe you have an app for that in mind as well!

BUT
    It would not be allowed in Rally Diabolical, Dakar, and probably many other cross-country rallies because the device, with other apps on it, could be used for navigation in ways that are generally not allowed. I hate to say that because I think it's so cool. But the basic nature of rally navigation needs to be protected against competitors who are looking for "shortcuts".
  6. theantipaul

theantipaul Reforming Neandertal

Oddometer:
    Congrats on the app Phil, it looks really cool, can't wait to see what else you come out with.
  7. Wyobrew

Wyobrew Missed it by that mu

Oddometer:
    Phil, are you really going to make me switch to an iPhone ? Very nice! I would love to set it up and use it for practice during the LAB2V next week. I really like big number and easy to adjust tenths. Nice job guys, as stated earlier great for a practice and simple.

Doug
  8. ArthDuro

ArthDuro quarantined

Oddometer:
    :clap
  9. barnold99

barnold99 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've been lucky enough to put quite a few miles on the beta version of the app. It's pretty cool that a total rally noob like myself can go out and get a feel for navigation without having to invest in a bunch of equipment. My 250XC doesn't even have an odo, so just that part is worthwhile.

It's been a blast rallying around the desert this fall. Great job, Phil, and congrats on the "official" app release :clap
  10. pilo

pilo Rhymes with below

Oddometer:
    Pete - It is on iTunes. Search RallyBlitz

Scott - I respect your perspective on this. However, I also think there are a lot of things about this app and likely the future products to come that can add to the sport (low cost of entry, better safety, etc.) and bring a wider audience. If someone is looking to cheat or bend the rules they will find a way to do it no matter what. I'd like to think the best thing is to find out the concerns and see if there is a way to manage them through technology. Let me build a button in the app that once pushed to access other apps (for emergency options or whatever) sets a flag that the organizer can see. They could give a penalty or even DQ they person, but perhaps they still make it back faster or safer or whatever. I'm not saying that is the solution to the issue, I'm just saying that an open dialog on the concerns may result in a better solution for everyone (and MORE people participating in the sport). I certainly don't have an interest in taking away the navigation aspects of this. I first hand saw enduro racing change as the result of the enduro computers, and have no interest in Rally following that path. But I built this App partially because I wanted BIG numbers that took my eyes away from the road ahead less. I look forward to the dialog on this.

Doug - Don't Switch! I still use an android as my phone...that's what I used to record the close up video. Get on craigslist and buy a used iphone 4 for $100 or less.
  11. Pilbara

Pilbara In the flow...

Oddometer:
    When will you do an upgrade to choose Kilometres, instead of just Miles as is now?
    Cheers
    Pilbara
  12. 640 Armageddon

640 Armageddon Xplorer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think that is such a great idea... :clap:clap

May be you do not get to be in the big rallies (yet), but I think it opens a whole new crowd capability for new people to join races. The technology is there, the processors are way faster than any current trip device and you can do waaaay too many safety features on such a program.
    Cheating. Yes of course it will be there, I am sure still people participating in rallies have their mobiles with them, so worst come to worst I have heard stories from people that got completely lost and turned on the phones with applications that can ''guide'' you back to where you came from. Cheating is mentality thing from the wrong minded people. It will be there. I see no point in cheating, but some do and will try to win whatever the cost. I am there for the adventure anyways...
    For the android phones the kernel could be altered so that once this app is on, no others will run on the background. I am sure on the iphone it will be doable as well. And it is cheap as well... You could have spare iphones/androids in your backpack as well :D
  13. Offroadie1

Offroadie1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi,

Can I ask .... without giving too much away .... how does it work?
    Is it triangulated GSM signals?

Even if that was a limitation, it would be a great use for those old iPhone screens that are laying around if there was an odo cable interface.
  14. Bruno T .

Bruno T . N8YQ

Oddometer:
    Is there a way to change the rate at which the km/mileage increases, similar to changing wheel diameter on an ICO ?
  15. Stretchah

Stretchah Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to an android version :)
  16. wrk2surf

wrk2surf on the gas or brakes

Oddometer:
    THE exact center of California/Bass lake/Yosemite
    Really? Give the guy a break , What do yo think it should be one of those dollar game apps? Its in the apple store for SALE... FOR 20 bucks. Have you priced a speedo or cap heading device or both? This is a steal and you dont have to have cell service to buy or borrow a used I phone to use as a MP3 player, phone and now speedo.
    outbacktm likes this.
  17. cross-country

cross-country .

Oddometer:
    I don't get it, why should he have?
    I think that $20 is a steal considering that I have spent $700 in the last 12 months on ICOs and both failed during their first race.
  18. Happe

Happe Adventure Bike Spanner Man

Oddometer:
    Catshing! (Noise the shoptill makes) :D

Tiny issue :eek1

The fields on the Odo settings page are empty

Stefan

btw. was runing around the house with the phone in front of me.
    People certainly thought I'm nuts

Attached Files:

19. Maineroot

Maineroot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We ran iphone and ipads last year as nav equipment last year for the Mexican 1000. This is an awesome idea.

The ball type X mount held up through some serious thrashing. We had a USB power plugs hard wired into the harness. The connection to the actual device is the weak link for powering it up. We both lost 2 cords to vibration and abrasion. Duct tape it to the device.

Also- the iphone will overheat in direct sun Baja- rendering it inoperable until it cools down. This can happen in 2-3 minutes during fueling etc. If you are moving, it is OK. You need to build a sun shield to protect the phone, and allow some shading to be able to read it. Tecate box and duct tape worked fine.
    wrk2surf likes this.
  20. ArthDuro

ArthDuro quarantined

Oddometer:
    He does, it says so clearly in the app store. What gives?