Comparing SPOT to DeLorme

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by idabeemerboy, Sep 9, 2014.

1. idabeemerboy

idabeemerboy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We are considering buying a tracker device. We love the flexibility of the DeLorme, that is, you don't have to pay for the whole year. They also said that the DeLorme doesn't have the problems with satellite reception that SPOT does. What have you all been using and what have you found to be the pros and cons? Also...where do you use it? BTW: The dealer we talked to sold both kinds, so he wasn't prejudiced against either, but he was a salesman...lol...so we are looking for some honest reviews of both systems.
    Thanks a ton for all your help!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
  2. GPHusky250

GPHusky250 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I purchased the Delorme unit for a COBDR trip. Worked flawlessly...long battery life...weatherproof. When I got back I suspended service, easy peasy.
  3. idabeemerboy

Oddometer:
    Thank you!! That's great to know.

4. Hikertrash

Hikertrash Wasted Rock Ranger

Oddometer:
    Look in the GPS section here. There's a few threads comparing the two. I've had both and after 2 spots were replaced under warranty, kept the INREACH SE. I used my SE for real time texting back and forth with my wife when I rode up to the arctic circle and it never skipped a track. It even showed how fast I was going:eek1 Suspended service when I got back as well.
  5. Navy Chief

Navy Chief Long timer

Oddometer:
    When I replace my Spot it will be with the inReach SE, there are too many advantages not to move to it..
  6. El Gato

El Gato Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Spot is LAME compared to the Inreach SE. 1-way messaging in a real emergency is only marginally better than useless... no idea if the message was received, if help is on the way, when it will get there, etc. Meanwhile, your SO is at home thinking you're dead because all they know is you pressed the SOS button. Yes, I learned this the hard way. Having 2-way messaging capability in an emergency is priceless. Add to that the fact that Delorme is on a better satellite network, and there's no good reason to own a Spot.
  7. Mastery

Mastery Mr. Funny Man

Oddometer:
    I've had both. Only kept the inReach. Broke down in the Utah desert, and cell service was non-existent. Was REALLY nice to text message back and forth with wife to get information I needed.

With the SPOT, I would have been more screwed, more unaware, and much more pissed.

It's worth the investment. And now, I just turn off the service when not in need of using it.

Oh...I'll add the main reason I gave up the SPOT. I went on a vacation with some guy friends some place really remote. While gone, wife's dad died. I didn't know about it for around 4 days. Had I known, I would have been back home DAYS earlier when she needed me. That's when I went looking and found the inReach SE. It goes everywhere with me when cell phone service is non-existent or may be spotty.

Don't "learn the lesson" like many of us already have.
  8. DWK2

DWK2 Fled California

Oddometer:
    I have an ACR PLB unit I'm about to replace, so this is very useful information. Thanks!

My only experience with the SPOT was backpacking in the Ruby Mtns in NE Nevada. I met a couple backcountry rangers who had SPOTs. They had a mediocre opinion of the performance. In some areas like the Jarbidge Wilderness, (along the Idaho border) they said that the performance was really poor to non-existent.
  9. crunchiespg

crunchiespg Long timer

Oddometer:
    i own a spot, but the delorme is better if every way and as soon as I can afford the monthly plan i'll be changing to it. like mentioned two way use for minor emergencies is a big positive, and more reliable connection. but my spot in 3 years has only failed to send a message about 3 times, a retry and it sent ok. so not as bad as many make out.
    but also don't give up your plb. they are even more reliable for true emergency use. i'll be getting one of those too.
  10. VincitOmnia

VincitOmnia Flyover Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The InReach works off of the Iridium satellite network. Spot uses the GlobalStar network. The Iridium constellation is a much lower orbit system than GlobalStar. That's a major advantage when you're trying to get a message in/out in less than perfect conditions like deep valleys, heavy cloud cover, thick forest canopy etc. I've used my InReach successfully from well above the Arctic Circle where my commercial C-band GPS was useless.

VO
  11. Renegade_Azzy

Renegade_Azzy Kamen Rider

Oddometer:
    I'm on year 2 of a used Spot2. Only needed tracking and roadside assistance, but like the idea of not having to buy for the full year. Ive used roadside 5 times for different vehicles. Same with tracking when out in the jeep.

2 way communication would be nice. The cost is a lot more than the spot however, and one of the spot devices offers text messaging through your phone and it. And no roadside assistance ($80 a year and covers bikes and cars)
  12. Smackit

Smackit Life Is Good Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have the DeLorme InReach Explorer, very happy with it. I got it through GPSCity via their ADVRider discount. I don't think the extra GPS capabilities of the Explorer are necessary, the SE is fine if you have a regular GPS. I also wouldn't want to use the Explorer as my main GPS solution. Sometimes it can take a minute or two to get the messages to send, and once in a while the bluetooth connection with their smartphone app acts up.
  13. mroddis

mroddis Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have the inReach SE and I feel confident using it, whether in the local mountains or on a long trek camping. The two-way communication, mapshare feature, and ease of use (paired with my iPhone so I text through the phone) make it a winner in my mind. Long battery, etc. too....

They make it really easy by allowing free movement among their plans - ramp up when you think you'll need a lot of texts and tracking, and put it on a pretty cheap burner when you don't.

M.
  14. bmwgrrl

bmwgrrl Can't see me...can't stop me

Oddometer:
    InReach SE. Like the 2 way messaging, reliability, the ability to Bluetooth to my iPhone for maps if my Montana gets moody, and suspend the service when not needed. And easy to deal with the account with or without access to a computer.
  15. sigmund freud

sigmund freud Adventurer

Oddometer:
  16. idabeemerboy

Oddometer:
    Wow...thank you all so much. We were leaning towards the SPOT, but now I think the DeLorme is worth the extra.

17. DWK2

DWK2 Fled California

Oddometer:
    I appreciate your starting this thread! Now my info is much more up to date.

Thanks!

Dave
    motoexp likes this.
  18. StuInFH

StuInFH Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If others in your party are wise enough :-) to also get the DeLorme InReach SE, you can text messages/locations back and forth if you become separated and don't have a cell signal. At ~$10 per month for a basic plan, it is some cheap insurance for sure. And I've seen it for $250 on sale.

Delayed notice of father-in-law's passing was sad, but a strong argument for never being out of touch with anyone again for sure. I think the device name sums it up. :-)
  19. Granitic

Granitic Backcountry rider

Oddometer:
    I got an inReach SE in August for Southwest backcountry riding and am very pleased with the investment.

I use it with the Earthmate app running on a Google Nexus 7 (2013) tablet and the system works very well.

The "$15/month" price point is a game-changer. Here are a few notes on total costs and living with the inReach SE.

$300 inReach unit
    $25 annual fee
    $15 per month (no contract) for the Freedom Safety Plan which includes five data types:

1. Unlimited Preset Messages. Here are the three Preset messages I set up on my inReach account web page:

A. Starting my ride. No cell coverage. (emails), MapShare
    B. Done riding, at vehicle, same location as last msg (emails)
    C. I am OK and camped for the night. No cell coverage. (emails), MapShare

For a location to be sent with the message, you have to include MapShare in the addressee list by checking a box. This counts as a Tracking Point which is 10 cents. Message above has no tracking point.

These three messages cover normal events on my day rides.

I like to include No cell coverage so if contacts have texted or emailed my normal addresses and gotten no response, they will understand why.

2. Ten text messages (send, receive). It is easiest to enter these on the Earthmate app. Over ten, 50 cents each.

3. Location pings: From your MapShare page, friends can ping your location: 10 cents

4. Unlimited SOS messages

5. Unlimited test messages to DeLorme

Couple of details to be aware of:

Your contacts receive an email, not a text. This includes lat/long and a link to a map showing your location if MapShare is included.

UPDATE: If it's a cell number, they get a text.

If you want a contact to be able to send you a message, be sure to send them one first. In other words, they cannot dial your inReach. They have to send the message using the web page that you send them first. (Note that one inReach can dial another inReach directly.)

The first unit I received was defective: it would not boot. Maine-based tech support was good and overnighted a new unit. There were a few delays getting this one to register with the network. I was satisfied with the whole process and the system has worked flawlessly since.

Battery life is good, but I am always nervous about built-in rechargables. So I got a Gomadic USB power pack Portable Emergency AA Battery Charger Extender suitable for the DeLorme inReach and four lithium AAs. This is about 4 oz in a ZipLock, while the inReach itself is 7 oz.

The user interface, Android Earthmate app, and web page are all reasonably functional without any major annoyances or bugs.

One oddity is that Preset messages can be sent only from the inReach itself rather than the Earthmate app. I would prefer to just leave the inReach in the back pocket of my pack and control it through my Android tablet.

Also, Preset messages can only be edited on your web page and uploaded to the inReach by USB cable. But these are pretty minor issues.

This system is an investment in safety, but for any techie it has entertainment value as well. Hearing the whoooooooop alert tone as your message launches to a satellite 485 miles up and moving at 17,000 miles an hour is mind-boggling. Read Shackleton or any tale from the age of exploration and this is technology indistinguishable from magic.

May 2016 Update: This all still just WORKS. I have never fooled around with it since, I just use it. Very happy with the product and service.

August 2018 Update: It just works. Battery life and charge hold is still excellent. A firmware upgrade brought the ability to request simple weather forecasts for a few cents. I also bought additional SAR insurance.
  20. cba191

cba191 wanna buy a monkey?

Oddometer:
    Why did this get moved? It has nothing to do with GPS. It is something I am interested in reading about as I have a Spot. I would never find it in this forum.