Bring the Yamaha Tenere XT660Z to North America!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by MidnightSpecial, Sep 4, 2010.

1. MidnightSpecial

MidnightSpecial Pretty Princess

Oddometer:
  2. RED CAT

RED CAT Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer:
    I hear they are slow and heavy.
  3. cueman

cueman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm slow and heavy too! Maybe that's why I want one:D
  4. MidnightSpecial

MidnightSpecial Pretty Princess

Oddometer:
    As long as it's not as heavy as my WeeStrom, I'm good.

When you look as good as this bike, you get by with being a little heavy.
  5. LILBIT

LILBIT Ride you must.

Oddometer:
    Some of us wierdos here care more about performance/value than looks. While i like the looks too i'd never buy one. Leave it in Europe. If Yamaha brought it the bike wouldn't sell well. Betcha.
  6. dallastx

dallastx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Slow and heavy? That ain't the issue here, it's all about getting the choice to buy or not, which now is withheld by YamahaUSA.
    And for the "slow&heavy"-issue: it ain't that fast(compared to what anyway?), but fast enuff, I can do 130kmh all day without any problems, the around 48hp does the job just fine(for me anyway!). And heavy: well it isn't a lightweight bike, but don't forget: it is an adventure travel bike, not a hardcore offroad bike! Its weight gives it more stability, I think and know from experience ridin' my Tenere since june '08, with 42.000km done so far. And that all without any major problems(two issues on mine: locks replaced and modified breather, both under warranty). Its strong points:
    -good fuel economy, thanx to the very good EFI;
    -good handling, is it on highways, backroads or offroad;
    -strong subframe for carrying luggage;
    -strong(enuff for me anyway)&solid&smooth engine;
    -good looks;
    -not that expensive(compared to i.e. KTM or BMW);
    -its allround character.

Like it or not, y'all should have the right to choose, not just wastin' time talking about a bike you ain't got overthere!
    Greetz, Hans.

Attached Files:

7. fireflyr

fireflyr HIPster Doofus

Oddometer:
    I agree with Midnightspecial. I'd buy one in a heartbeat. Do you have a contact that we need to pester? I think it would be more effective to channel our request to a particular individual or department rather than diluting it by contacting YAMAHA.............

If you don't want one......... don't buy one. The option to purchase should be available. There's a long list of bikes I wouldn't be cought on but I don't begrudge anyone the option to own whatever they want. Strike that, I'll take one of everything.

Heavy and slow too.
  8. GP640

GP640 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I thought the 660 was an impressive looking bike until I saw one in person.

A month ago I bumped into a couple from the Netherlands while I was camping in Jasper. He was riding a 660 Tenere and she was on a MT03.

The Tenere was too low and heavy for my liking. Not quite mid way between a KLR and a 640a. Just my opinion.
  9. crashmaster

crashmaster ow, my balls!

Oddometer:
    Just about as heavy as a KTM 950, with half of the ponies, a quarter of the suspension, and all of the price.

That said, I still wish they sold them in North America. I think it would sell very well, even though I don't really care for the bike just looking at the specs.

Its always good to have choices and everyone is different in what they prefer. I cant really understand Yamaha's thinking on not marketing this bike in NA because they could for sure move quite a few units.

Its a nice looking bike BTW.
  10. Gryphon12

Gryphon12 Long timer

Oddometer:
    As the discussion of weight on the XTZ1200Z has reminded me, it's not just the total weight, but how that weight is carried. I'm hearing that at 575 lbs. wet, the XTZ1200Z carries its weight better than the 544 lb wet R1200GS, which I use as my heavy adv reference standard.

I haven't seen a comparisons to the F800GS yet, which weighs essentially the same as the XT660Z but which carries less fuel. The XT660Z is just a little heavier than the KLR-650. The XT has a little more power and a little more torque, however. The KLR650 has always sold well in the USA.

What we've mentioned so far spans the range from 425 lbs. (F650 Dakar) to 491 lbs. (KTM 950 Adv).

Does anyone care to comment on how their bikes carry their weight?

For reference, Montessa VR compiled a terrific database on wet weights of various motorcycles some time ago, and I've been trying to keep up. He quoted sources, since every scale is different; I've omitted those here.

Also, gasoline weights approximately 6.25 lbs/ US Gal, or 1.65 lbs/L if anyone wants to compensate for fuel weight. Personally, I think where that weight is carried matters, too. And of course, fuel efficiency varies as well.

So to compare wet weights:
    575 lbs. XTZ1200Z Super Tenere - 23.0L tank
    544 lbs. R1200GS - 19.7L tank
    491 lbs. KTM 950 Adv - 22.0L tank(s)
    485 lbs. DL-650 Wee Strom - 22.0L tank
    480 lbs. XRV-750 Africa Twin - 23.0L tank
    460 lbs. F800 GS - 16.0L tank
    459 lbs. XT660Z Tenere - 23L tank
    454 lbs. ER-6 Versys - 18.9L tank
    435 lbs. KLR - 23.1L tank
    425 lbs. F650 Dakar - 17.3L tank
    410 lbs. '04 KTM 640 LC Adv - 25.5L tank
    367 lbs. DR650 - 13.0L tank
    360 lbs. TE630 - 12.0L tank
    335 lbs. TE610 - 12.0L tank
    322 lbs. DRZ400S - 10.0L tank
    301 lbs. WR-250R - 7.6L tank
  11. keithwwalker

keithwwalker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The 23L tank and the fact that it is a thumper, not just any thumper, but the 660 dry sump Yamaha thumper, says that I would buy one in a second.

And seriously guys, you can uncork that engine and make at least 15 more HP no problem.

As far as adv riding is concerned, there are more than enough riders from Europe who have proved the abilities of this bike.

So who do we talk to, to get Yammie USA on the bandwagen?

kw
  12. oldmxer95

oldmxer95 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I would buy one if they were available in the US. Who should we contact at Yamaha?

Has anyone bought one in Europe or OZ and brougt it to the US?
    :evil
  13. kojack

kojack Grenfell Country Farmhouse suite!

Oddometer:
    If they had the xt660 here i would have that and a super tenere 1200 in my garage. the 660 for single riding and the 1200 for 2 up with the wife. I love my KLR but if that came to this side of the pond, im in.
  14. fireflyr

fireflyr HIPster Doofus

Oddometer:
    I went to Yamaha USA's website, signed in, but found no way to express my interest in getting this bike here. Couldn't even find an email address to contact anyone. Got the feeling they really don't want to talk to anyone. :fyyff
    Makes me want one even more.
  15. Geoff D

Geoff D Tenerista

Oddometer:

The XTZ660 is half the price of the KTM :deal
  16. Pcfly

Pcfly Dude?! Seriously?? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well, here's a link from another thread here on ADVrider........http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=617376&highlight=xt660z

SIGN THE PETITION BELOW!!!

http://www.petitiononline.com/XT660Z/

Here is a start. I have also called Yamaha customer relations who also suggested using petition.

As for talking points, with what seems to be an ABS model XT660z coming next year I could see this as a slight opening for them to bring it to the States! I thought I read somewhere that all bikes sold after 2012-2015 or something would have to have ABS :scratch

Anyway, I'm looking for something smaller then a 1200GS and the XT660, the new Tiger and an 800GS are all at the top of my list. I think the Yamaha would be the most trouble free, longest range, cheapest to maintain, free-ride bike of the bunch. No, not knocking a KLR as it's good but something about being carburated and dealing with luggage over Denver mountains has me skeptical.

Bring the Tenere to the USA!!!
  17. Reposado1800

Reposado1800 Juicy J fan!

Oddometer:
    Now that the super 10 is coming and preorders are racking up quick, I bet the regular 10 will come over as well. People are voting with their wallet and Yamaha is hearing it.
  18. keithwwalker

keithwwalker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    41 signatures so far:eek1, how many did the 1200 tenere have?

19. fireflyr

fireflyr HIPster Doofus

Oddometer:
    Signed. Thanks Pcfly. I've been looking at used KTM's but can't understand why this segment of the market is so empty. Hopefully someone will listen.
  20. Pcfly

Pcfly Dude?! Seriously?? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well, it seems low but when I signed the petition yesterday I was #35 so 6 more people in a day isn't that bad. :dunno :thumb