Varooming about on a Vespa

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Tarka, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Tarka

Tarka Strangely strange. Oddly normal.

Oddometer:
    So,I`m off work for 16 days and we`ve got perfect blue skies and sunny weather.
    And I`ve got a brand new (one of only 30 in the U.K.) Vespa PX150 Anniversary Edition that needs a few hundred more miles on it to complete the running-in process.

Early to rise and let`s get pop-pop-popping into North Wales for some scenery!
    The Vespa`s only got about 300 miles on it but I can now go beyond the previous 30mph limit to about 40-45mph for a bit as part of the break-in.
    The hills where we are heading will help use all the gears and the various throttle settings will also assist everything settling in.
    First of all a trip up to the top of the Horseshoe Pass to the famous Ponderosa cafe (in a few of my older Ride Reports)....these imposing slate spoil heaps always catch my eye near the top of the pass.

[​IMG]

Always check your mirrors!!

[​IMG]

The Ponderosa was next for a very pleasant bacon sandwich and a mug of coffee (sorry no photo of those...I was too hungry!).
    Then I took the 'secret' and little used 'Old Horseshoe' which drops steeply behind the Ponderosa and avoids the main part of the main Horseshoe Pass because it`s a while since I last rode down this track.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It`s steep downhill all the way but in this next photo I`ve turned the Vespa around to park it securely for a photo looking up towards the top.

[​IMG]

After the steep track I rejoined the Horseshoe Pass just above Valle Crucis Abbey and its eponymous camping site.
    Here`s the Abbey in its 12th Century glory.

[​IMG]

Then into the town of Llangollen to buy some 'Welsh Cakes' for my girlfriend.
    I thought the Vespa looked quite at home outside this hotel!

[​IMG]

Onwards from Llangollen via Carrog,Corwen and then cross country along tiny lanes to Bala....which led over some lovely old stone bridges like this one here.

[​IMG]

A leisurely sandwich and cold drink in Bala and then it was homewards along some more tiny country lanes and back home....but not before I`d passed the lovely Horseshoe Falls waterfall.

[​IMG]

That enjoyable bimble put another 120 miles on the little Vespa and it sipped petrol at 95 mpg!
    A short report by my normal standard but I hope you liked the photos.
    More some other time,maybe.
  2. JerseyBiker

JerseyBiker Living the life!

Oddometer:
    Great RR and great looking scoot!

Must be fun to have a scoot that is only 1 of 30 in the country!
  3. sraber

sraber Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Awesome ride! :thumb
  4. emmettken

emmettken Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing. Cool scoot.
  5. gogogordy

gogogordy Long timer

Oddometer:
    perfection!

That's a keeper. Enjoy.
  6. Tarka

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys!!

Well,it was another awesome unspoiled day again today so I went out on the Vespa for some more running-in miles.
    This time I went along the Welsh Coast Road and chomped a bacon batch in a retro themed bike style diner called 'Petrolheads'.....it has bikes and memorabilia inside and hosts themed bike and scooter nights.

[​IMG]

Quite by chance,check out the manufacturere name on the window above where I parked the Vespa!!

[​IMG]

I rode the Coast Road until I got to Abergele and looked in a big bike dealers called Woods of Abergele and then took an inland route to Llanwrst....the scenery was stunning!!

[​IMG]

In Llanwrst there is a big triple arched stone bridge over the river.

[​IMG]

And across the river is what I call the 'Fluffy Hotel' !!!

[​IMG]

It`s an ancient dry stone walled restaurant/hotel covered in ivy...quite remarkable and stunning.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Across the road is a circle of standing stones rather reminicent of Avebury.

[​IMG]

After these photos I rode along to Betws y Coed and was on a mission.
    Well..what could be better...a perfect blue sky sunny day...a day off work and a new Vespa.....it HAD to be time for an ICE CREAM !!!

[​IMG]

I managed another 150 miles on the Vespa today...only another 80 to go until the first service at 600 miles.
    It`s running great and is surprisingly torquey and responsive.
    Still returning about 95 mpg.
    Can`t wait until it`s fully unleashed!
  7. Mr. Cob

Mr. Cob Howling "Mad", Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Howdy Tarka,

I say old bean, unless I am mistaken, NEVER once whilst I was in your company did we have "BACON' in or on any of our shared meals, bloody hell is this something you only eat whilst astride a Vespa..........:lol3

Thanks for the memories I enjoyed reading and seeing photos of the places we rode when I was a guest in your home, such a beautiful place to live. So are you going to hack the Vespa :ear
  8. Tarka

Oddometer:
    Hiya Cobby old bean.

Mmmm...bacon....the one at Petrolheads was even nicer than at the Ponderosa...three large rashers of back bacon on a fresh bread batch....mmmm.

I tend to have bacon when on days of leisure as opposed to when I`m travelling 'on a mission' where I seem to benefit from the sugar rush of a cake and coffee or Coke.
    You could have had BACON at every stop we made if only you`d said.....
    But you were too busy filling your face with chocolate cake/cherry pie or coffee and walnut cake. :evil :D

Glad you liked my photos and they brought back happy memories. :freaky
  9. Mr. Cob

Mr. Cob Howling "Mad", Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Howdy Steve,

Youfukin Limy wanker, no wonder you kept filling up with all those good beers, you were hording all the BACON for yourself. :eek1

BACON, is the top and primary food on a Yanks food pyramid, its a national dish relished by all and the heart of any gathering of ADV-Riders. :deal

I say old bean, I shall have to deduct five points from your score as host for perpetrating this international atrocity. :lol3
  10. MMC

MMC The Burgermeister

Oddometer:
    And ten off your score from me. E-mailing me copies of your pictures and gleeful exultation that you have 16 days off - when I'm stuck in the office. Again.

:D
  11. RedRockRider

RedRockRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice little scoot! Beautiful weather and scenery! :D
  12. MMC

MMC The Burgermeister

Oddometer:
    Always wanted to know; what's that little sticky out thing by your left heel? Looks like a clear plastic cylinder with a coloured bar in it. Fuel gauge of sorts?
  13. Tarka

Oddometer:
    Hiya mate.
    It`s a two stroke oil level indicator.
    When a bubble appears in that conical tube it`s time to top up the two stroke oil tank.

The Vespa`s done just about 600 miles now and the bubble still hasn`t shown.
    Hope they didn`t forget to fit it in the factory. :D

The other sticky out things there are the choke knob and the fuel tap.

Oh,and there`s a fuel level gauge amongst the idiot lights around the speedo.
  14. MMC

MMC The Burgermeister

Oddometer:
    Hmm. Italian build quality...

:D