ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts > Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2015, 06:51 AM   #3586
Toto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithert View Post
That sounds like a lot for a bike warranty. Usually they are around $500 for 4 additional years.
Yamaha YES four year warranty was around $1500 plus tax for a FJR or S10.
About $500 in the States with potentially double the riding season.
I doubt Yam Canada sold many of those extended warranties.
Toto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 09:50 AM   #3587
boonekerley
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
I suspect you got a 7 year service plan with VERY exact things it will cover. Anything else is on you. I doubt it will cover but a fraction of things the factory bumper to bumper covers. Read the coverage page in the paperwork closely. If it sounds good to you, great.[/QUOTE]

I read through the whole thing. Covers almost everything the factory warranty covers. It doesn't cover routine maintenance, of course, and there are a list of some other items. The only parts that really apply in the list are things that wouldn't be covered anyway, such as the chain, tires, etc. It doesn't cover body repair, but I wouldn't really expect it to. Since Vee's are supposed to be so reliable, I hope I don't need it, but you never know.
I usually don't buy those things, but since I plan on putting a lot of miles on this bike I figured it was worth it.
I wasn't originally planning on buying any extended warranties, but I got the bike for dealer cost since it was their last '14 that they really wanted to move, so I thought the peace of mind would be nice for a little extra.

boonekerley screwed with this post 04-24-2015 at 10:06 AM
boonekerley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 08:15 AM   #3588
Dragon Rider
Thought is free--WS

Oddometer: 246
So I'm noticing that left over 2014 dl1000 abs are listing for about 8K around me.

I'm happy with my 09 dl650a, expect on those occassions where I wish it had a bit more umph.

I've traded rides with a friend who has the new dl650, and found the engine smoother with a bit more get up, but the cockpit was really cramped compared to my set up (risers and peg lowering)

When I got my wee-strom the prevailing wisdom (and test ride experience) was that the wee was so much more 'flickable' that the V, it was worth the power trade.

How does is stand now, not between new 650 vs new 1000, but between Old 650 vs new 1000?

If I can get the same or better handling and cockpit room, I'd sacrifice a few mpgs and tank range (I never use the 300 mile range anyway) for some extra smiles in the right hand.

wait, that came out wrong,

for some extra ponies .

Dragon Rider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 08:29 AM   #3589
moe.ron
Pig. Can. Fly.

Oddometer: 2,844
$8K? Geez...
Old 04-25-2015, 08:39 AM   #3590
Dragon Rider
Thought is free--WS

Quote:
Originally Posted by moe.ron View Post
$8K? Geez...
yea, kinda surprised me, but two local dealers are asking 7999 and 8999

about 11k for the adventure, but I figure 2-3k will buy plenty of accessories.

At that price, I'm not sure I could negotiate away shipping and other assorted crap fees.
Old 04-25-2015, 08:51 AM   #3591
MRBLACK947
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon Rider View Post

At that price, I'm not sure I could negotiate away shipping and other assorted crap fees.
Those are great prices and I agree, I have a funny feeling there's going to be some shady shit with fees and other useless dealership crap.

Still worth it IMO though. If you could pull one off for 10k or less out the door that would be a great deal.

I'm not a speed freak by any means but a 650 with the heft of a V-strom would likely bore me. Not to mention the 2014 Vstrom has many other higher end features over the 650s.
Old 04-25-2015, 10:33 AM   #3592
jaronfr
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Hi and Thanks!

Today because of all the great advice I got on this forum I got to ride this to work. I just wanted to take a second and say hello and thanks for all the great information. Oh and by the way I've had the bike for less than 18hrs and after putting almost 300 miles on it all I can say is this is the most fun I've had on two wheels!
Attached Images

jaronfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 12:37 PM   #3593
Dragon Rider
Thought is free--WS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBLACK947 View Post
Those are great prices and I agree, I have a funny feeling there's going to be some shady shit with fees and other useless dealership crap.

Still worth it IMO though. If you could pull one off for 10k or less out the door that would be a great deal.

I'm not a speed freak by any means but a 650 with the heft of a V-strom would likely bore me. Not to mention the 2014 Vstrom has many other higher end features over the 650s.
well they got one left, looking at $8800 out the door.

found a dealer on the way home that had one I could test ride, and I really like it.

Less versatile than the 650, much more of a naked bike feeling, stiffer suspension, felt as light as the 650 handled the same, as far as I could tell without pushing it.

seems better suited to shorter rides. less suited to camping, exploring.

rear rack felt like plastic??

well aftermarket full luggage seems to be about a grand.

now doing the math on what the wee could be sold for, etc.

can I give this up?

Old 04-25-2015, 02:44 PM   #3594
MRBLACK947
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
Quote:
well they got one left, looking at $8800 out the door.

found a dealer on the way home that had one I could test ride, and I really like it.

Less versatile than the 650, much more of a naked bike feeling, stiffer suspension, felt as light as the 650 handled the same, as far as I could tell without pushing it.

rear rack felt like plastic??

well aftermarket full luggage seems to be about a grand.

now doing the math on what the wee could be sold for, etc.

can I give this up?

The suspension will break in after a while and also you can go a couple clicks softer on all the fork adjusters and it makes a huge difference. The harsh ride on square edge stuff is gone on my bike.

As for the naked bike feel, I think if you farkle it the same as your current bike you will change your mind on that.

No reason you shouldn't be able to go cross country on this bike and in the same if not worse conditions.

I'd make a good salesman. ;)
Old 04-25-2015, 09:59 PM   #3595
billmags
Scoot Jockey

Oddometer: 334
Quote:

I think these two are in somewhere in South America now

http://www.2ar.eu/
ZRX1200
TW200
billmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:03 AM   #3596
adv397
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
anyone have the alt rider crash bars and skid plate on the 14 dl 1000
adv397 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:09 PM   #3597
moe.ron
Pig. Can. Fly.

Oddometer: 2,844
They do not appear to have anything for 2014-15 model.