With the Triumph 800xc out would you still buy an F800gs?

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by veloce, Jul 6, 2011.

1. veloce

veloce Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I like the looks of the F800gs, but the tiger is:

Cheaper (by atleast 2000)
    Better saddle
    Excel rims
    more reliable possibly?
    The finish seems better, and welds smoother, but I don't know if it's actually built better.

I'm a BMW fanboy, but I don't want a bike that is going to break on me especially if it costs more.

I have read some comparisons, but they are mostly speculation.
  2. Surfdog

Surfdog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just got my first look at the 800xc... Nice !

I'm thinking Tiger 800xc will be for me. Truimph has been building that engine for a few years. But, I will wait to see about reliability. F800gs has too many problems for liking.
  3. picard

picard engage!

Oddometer:
    I would buy the F800GS again because it fits my long body much better and I wanted the more offroad oriented bike. The XC just does not fit me off road. As a mostly on-road bike it would probably have been the better choice for me but that's not what I wanted.

Only you can answer the question what works for you. Ride them both, think about what you expect from the bike and then buy what suits you best.
  4. CaliKarl

CaliKarl Long timer

Oddometer:
    I couldn't get a test ride on the Triumph XC, so I bought the GS. If the dealer had let me ride it, I may have purchased it.
  5. inmate-n00b

inmate-n00b Ciao, Marco

Oddometer:
    didn't know the triumph had excel rims....they must be reading advrider....damn....
  6. MarcusWelds

MarcusWelds Nude

Oddometer:
    Triumph is roughly 20lbs heavier.
    Triumph has 9 more HP, but 4lb ft less of torque.
    Triumph has a 550watt alternator.
    Triumph has a 19 liter tank.
    Triumph has a factory rack on the back.

BMW has more torque, its lighter, and strictly from youtube videos, it seems the BMW is more nimble and agile offroad.

I am debating this quandry myself. From reading thr F800GS problems thread, it seems that most of the problems (major) have been in the first model year. (2009) I am looking at buying a new bike, and the F800GS, and 800XC are close competitors. I am debating which one would suit my riding better. My last bike was an R1, and before than an FZ6. I am wanting a more adventure oriented bike. The triumph has its ups, but also its downs. The motor is called "completely new and redesigned long stroke version", so its a first model year in all aspects, I am slightly concerned over this

Now on the $2000 price difference. I see an $11,445 MSRP on the BMW, Though i have not checked if this includes the "standard Package" at an additional $1,445. Can you order the F800GS without ABS? there is $1891 if that is required on the purchase.

The Triumph is $10,999 MSRP

I have not ridden either :rofl
  7. pgods

pgods Godspeed rider

Oddometer:
    Middle of nowhere ...parts and service? Extensive network of BMW riders willing to help each other out. Something to factor in a decision.
  8. lout

lout AYCIC

Oddometer:
    I debated this very thing.. and chose a F800GS...BMW has sorted out most of the problems now.

Maybe in a year I'd risk the Tiger.

But the BMW coolaid is so yummy!!
  9. MarcusWelds

MarcusWelds Nude

Oddometer:
    The dealer/parts network is great... But i would love to not worry about it :evil

I am looking at a new model year bmw, as it does seem they have sorted out most of their problems.
  10. The Griz

The Griz Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    No. I would not. The Tiger 800 XC is:

-25 lbs heavier wet
    -Has lower ground clearance, making certain parts (header in particular) seem very vulnerable
    -A tad less suspension travel
    -Has a much higher center of gravity due to the tank being in the normal up front, up high tank position (big negative in my book)
    -Has a bigger tank, but reports say fuel consumption is higher, so range is equal between the two
    -Rear shock linkage seems very low and vulnerable

The F800GS is:

-Lighter
    -Has higher ground clearance
    -A tad more suspension travel
    -MUCH lower center of gravity due to tank being under the seat and down low
    -Even though the tank is .8 gallons smaller, it still has a range of up to 200+ miles
    -Has no vulnerable rear suspension linkage

PS in all the photos I've seen the rims are not Excel.
  11. ikonoklass

ikonoklass Kountersteering Krew

Oddometer:
    I was at the local RAT meeting last night. Bob and Denise were there. They own six or eight bikes between the two of them, and Denise just took delivery on a Tiger 800. She told me she loves the bike, but it recently stalled 20 times during a short ride.

Naturally, the dealer disavowed any knowledge of this problem, but Denise says it's well known on the internet forums. She says the fix is to fit an $800 Arrow pipe and have the bike remapped accordingly. Not wanting to spend the money to fix her brand-new bike, Denise had it remapped without the pipe, which solved the stalling problem, but now the bike runs like shit.

I had similar problems on both my 2000 Sprint ST, long since sold, and my 2001 Sprint RS, which I love and ride often. After I had the RS's front and rear suspension upgraded, the bike stalled 17 times on the 20-mile ride home. Basically, whenever I slowed for a stop, the bike would stall. The dealer was unable to diagnose the problem and eventually re-flashed the ECM. This solved the stalling problem, but now the bike is either on high idle whenever it's in neutral, or it will flip-flop and idle normally in neutral but high in every other gear. I have learned to live with this, as it's more of a nuisance than a real problem.

I love my Sprint RS. It was cheap as hell to buy used, and with cartridge emulators, fresh Q2s and an Ohlins shock, it's super comfy and handles beautifully. But I would never--NEVER--buy a new Triumph. Not only is the resale value deplorable, but the bikes are buggy and the dealers are clueless. Just my $.02.
  12. Gangplank

Gangplank Advenchaintourer

Oddometer:
    Not even a close call. I'd buy my F8GS again in a heart beat. Go ride both & then make up you're mind.

3 yr 36k mile warranty. I like that.
  13. Gaspare

Gaspare Almost dirt rider

Oddometer:
    True the weight, the attitude, the range... moreover, the XC power delivery seems not to be that effective: despite to the higher peak power is slower (only "cruise" gearbox setting?) and lazy low down.
    Talking about the rear linkage, is exposed - yes - but gives a better bottoming resistance (the [quite bad] GS SACHS is a PDS-like shock, while the upgrades from WP, Ohlins and so on, aren't), so 15-15.

but, well... The GS is a great base, more expensive - but does requires some modifications, especially at suspension department (competence + time + more money).
    So, if you want & are able to deliver these three magic pearls, go for GS - otherwise Tiger is overall better just out-of-the-shop.
    For the average rider them both are able to do the job, anyway; all the rest is matter of tastes and expectations: we can talk for years about what's better :beer
  14. mow0709

mow0709 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've had mine for 2 yrs and nearing 27K with no major issues short of a couple recalls, no big. The bike has been able to handle everything I've thrown at it with flying colors. Offroad you can't beat it if your looking for a bike that has a bias for dirt and can still handle a daily commute there isn't much to complain about.

Beemers Uber Alles!!
  15. Captain Beardylocks

Captain Beardylocks travelling beardo

Oddometer:
    GS again in a second. it's not perfect, but it's closer than the xc which is bigger in all the wrong places + the unfortunate rear suspension arrangement
  16. jscottyk

jscottyk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sitting here today with both bikes being what they are and knowing what is known about each, the I'd buy a BMW in a heartbeat. All the technical reasons stated above plus a couple more.

While the GS has is issues for the most part they are all known and there are reasonable solutions for most of them. The Triumph is a new beast. While the motor maybe a known quantity don't think for a second that this new bike will not have teething issues. All new products do.

I personally don't like the looks of the Triumph frame. Also don't like the fact the rear subframe is not a bolt-on. Don't like the fact that Triumph couldn't (or didn't) come up with an original visual design. Blah, blah, blah.

At the end of the day, all the above is just a bunch of words. Buy the one that moves you.
  17. TAMPAJIM

TAMPAJIM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've got a GS658 (2 years) and the Tiger 800 (2 months). For my needs, the Tiger wins. Better response, no buzz, a much better road bike.
  18. inmate-n00b

inmate-n00b Ciao, Marco

Oddometer:
    I guess the 3 cylinder bike would be smoother on the road. Best of both worlds, really.
    I personally don't have a problem with the f800 engine, though.
    I think BMW did a great job with the design.

I seriously don't think people will care about an extra 20 lbs of weight on the Triumph. Can you really tell?

Triumph made a great bike......and so did BMW....!!!:freaky

It's too bad they made one that looks just like the f800gs, though....it should look more distinct....that's like business 101 right there....
  19. The Griz

The Griz Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1 on that.

Heck yeah you could tell. Not only is the 800XC 25 lbs heavier overall, but that damn 5 gallon gas tank is up so damn high on the bike. That makes 800XC feel like a tank compared to the low center of gravity the 800GS has. The 800XC feels like a 475 lb bike when you're riding it. Whereas, the F800GS feels like a 300 lb bike (thought it is not) when you're riding it.

Agreed as well. However, we shouldn't forget that BMW did it first (and better IMO). The Tiger 800 XC is virtually a clone of the F800GS.... as in Triumph's attempt at a F800GS. Not very original.

Totally.
  20. Mollygrubber

Mollygrubber Eschew obfuscation

Oddometer:
    I may in the minority here, but after owning a GS for a year I have to say it's one of the most top heavy bikes I've ever ridden - even with the gas tank under the seat.

The fact it's a bit tall for me plays into this, but I just jumped on a KTM990 Adventure on the weekend and almost dropped it because it was so easy to get off the kickstand - hefted it up like I do my GS and nearly threw it on the ground...

I haven't ridden the Triumph yet, but I plan to. My GS is a great all around bike, but after a year I've come to realize that the vast majority of my time is spent on pavement, and the dirt I do ride is pretty well groomed. I think the Triumph would suit that kind of riding better. I guess you have to be honest about what you'll be doing most of the time.