What to buy Last bike

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by hapbob, Jan 26, 2013.

1. hapbob

hapbob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Need advice
    I have had every motorcycle out there almost.
    Everything from Goldwing to harley to GS1200. I have had Vstrom, a couple Trikes.
    I have spent my retirement on motorcycles
    I ride a scooter around town and short trips but think I want another/last motorcycle.
    Used for short trips or if I get brave head cross country for last trip.
    Im 58 yrs old have had bikes since I was 12.
    Want fun to ride (performance)
    about 10K
    easy to find
    I even may put a hack on it if I like it enough to keep it.
    What would you buy out there?
    Hap
  2. 9Realms

9Realms Drawn in by the complex plot

Oddometer:
    Bob,

I think a KLR may be in your future... the feeling of 33+horsepower, bonding with your Doo-Hickey, it dont get no better then this.... :D

[​IMG]
  3. Mr_Gone

Mr_Gone Viking Berserker

Oddometer:
    :rofl
  4. BanjoBoy

BanjoBoy I like pussy

Oddometer:
    FJR1300 Fer The Win. :rayof
  5. vivo

vivo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That's too broad a brush to get an idea of your needs, performance means different things to different people. That said, I suggest a Moto Guzzi Griso. New prices have been greatly reduced and used is well within your budget. If you want to tour I would look at a Stelvio. The Griso is a nice bike, an involving ride, makes amazing sounds, is fast enough and corners well enough to satisfy and isn't just a tool like many Japanese bikes are, in other words, you can learn to love it.

I've ridden Harleys, the Wing, the GS, owned a SpeedTriple for 9 years, had a Caponord, a Roadstar, Royalstar, and a few others.... It really depends on what floats your boat. Last owned a Griso and a Concours14 which I just traded in on a Stelvio NTX. The Stelvio will tour like the Connie and feel like the Griso and you and I are the same age.

Narrow down your desires.

By the way, I've owned faster bikes but my Griso 1100 was more fun, more involving and really plenty fast, not fast in the way the Connie was but the sounds the Griso made winding through the gears and the feel of the bike really made me stay with Guzzi. I looked at the new Triumphs and they are great bikes but I wanted the feel of that twin and yesterday my NTX arrived so I'm hoping it's an almost last bike. I have little doubt it will perform, be involving, tour with ease, sound amazing, make me look back after dismounting the bike and that'
    s something I never did with the Concours14,. The Concours is fast, smooth, tours all day at 90 but while a very nice machine it just didn't tick all those boxes for me.

Narrow down your needs if you can?

vivo
  6. Jim Moore

Jim Moore Long timer

Oddometer:
    2008-ish R12GS or R12R.
  7. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan Supporter

Oddometer:
    KTM 990 or Trumpet XC800
  8. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Triumph Triple of some sort. Just pick one. If you are not tall then go with the Street Triple 675R. If you are tall then go with the Tiger 800 or 800XC.

Have FUN!!!
  9. corndog67

corndog67 Banned

Oddometer:
    Time for an S1000RR Hap. 100+mph wheelies. In second, third and fourth gears. What else is there?
  10. Nesbocaj

Nesbocaj The NEW Soylent Green Deal???

Oddometer:
    Hey Hap,

Same basic stuff, 'cept still working.....
    Sold my Husky, bought a '05 BMW F650GS, it is a blast-street or dirt roads. My advice; buy something lighter than the 600 - 700 pound gorillas. I have one of those too.

So maybe look at something in the 650 class that is up to an all day ride, sips the REG gas and can carry LOADS of stuff as need be.

My 650 will do the twisty stuff as fast as I can handle and probably more, and cruise for hours at 75-85mph on the interstate, and do the dirt and gravel roads that I can't resist.

Buy one cheap enough to also by a gorilla :)
  11. ttpete

ttpete Rectum Non Bustibus

Oddometer:
    You're only 58 and are thinking of buying a "bucket list" bike already? :eek1

I got my Ducati 1098 when I was 67. :evil

You can get all kinds of good low mileage performance bikes for 10K. Look for an older guy who bought a liter bike and scared the crap out of himself and is now afraid to ride it.
  12. oldxrider

oldxrider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You have to quit thinking last anything, let alone bikes and trips at only 58.
  13. bradluke0

bradluke0 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi all ! I am 58 also and I am looking ahead trying to figure out my last 6-8 bikes . Ya ain't dead yet !
  14. concours

concours WFO for 50 years

Oddometer:
    Um, have you been given a terminal diagnosis? 58, you have SEVERAL more cycle opportunities! Are you any good with wrenches? How about a vintage?
  15. Dave in Wi

Dave in Wi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Madison WI (40 Square Miles Surrounded By Reality)
    My dad was about that age when he got his "last" bike. A 1982 Honda GL500. He's had a few bikes since then. Now he's riding a Burgman 650 with a trike kit. Of course he's looking for a Harley he can ourfit with a kit now... If I'm ever on my "last" bike, I don't want to know it.
  16. WRW9751

WRW9751 7th Day Adventurist

Oddometer:
    Said the same thing a year ago, I'm 61 retired from the railroad. I bought a Tenere, pretty happy with it! That said, Since, I've bought two others. I had a opportunity spend 10 days in the Rockies in Oct. Wonderful! can't wait to go again! Found out two things one the Tenere is to big for Black Bear and Imogene (at least loaded). So I bought a KTM 500 xc-w. Planning as we speak. I also fell for a KTM 690 Duke. Wanted a fun bike that was more handling than speed. Something an Ol'Boy could throw in a trailer. I'm one for doing a lot of my own maintenance, need something that doesn't require a bunch of special tools. Know there is always a better mouse trap out there but, I'm set for now!
  17. DirtyOldMan

DirtyOldMan Motorsickle enthusiast

Oddometer:
    I'm your age and have no idea what kinda bike to suggest but you simply must quit with the "last bike" nonsense.
  18. Usk Coastie

Usk Coastie Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You can always go for a classic naked wing, i.e. a Valkyrie. They're heavy but something about that flat 6 cyl engine sitting out under the tank with NO plastic just screams road trip!
  19. rdwalker

rdwalker Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's exactly what I was thinking. Could you explain yourself to the 70+ - years-old guys in the other thread of this forum?
  20. steve3b3

steve3b3 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1!
    you've gotta be shitting me!
    58 and talking about a "last bike"?
    Unless you've got an unavoidable appointment with a bridge abutment or something, I'd think in the 20 year-in-the-future range when talking about a "last bike"
    I know I am...

Steve (60, f.y.i...)