A noob question to make you guys roll on the floor and soil your shorts-

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by joekanter, Jan 14, 2008.

1. joekanter

joekanter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    -As some of you folks know, I just got a 07 640A. Took it for a spin and I was all smiles. :1drink I have ridden in the past, but have never owned a bike. The bike runs flawlessly. But I experienced a little weirdness with the shifter. Obviously user error. But I'm curious. The bike is started and allowed to warm up. Sometimes I have a little difficulty getting the bike into 1st. Not sure, but it appears that if I let the clutch out just a bit, the bike will gently go into 1st and all is fine. Is this normal? Either I read this before, or I dreamed it up. But is there a sweat spot on the clutch? Yes-I cruised through the index. LOL.
  2. kadesean

kadesean eyesuck Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't know anything about the 640, but I do know that new bikes tend to shift oddly. If you aren't mashing it into gear I wouldn't worry about it until you get some miles racked up.
  3. Para504

Para504 Spam, Spam, bacon & Spam!

Oddometer:
    +1 on give it some time to settle in. A similar observation with KTM's when they are new is trying to find neutral with the bike running at a dead stop.
  4. braindead0

braindead0 Head Fisherman

Oddometer:
    Is it always like that? When moving or stopped?

It's not uncommon to have the gears in just the right position that the trans can't shift when the vehicle is not moving and the clutch is pulled in in particular on a tight trans. Letting the clutch out a bit will spin the trans shafts around and allow it to shift.
  5. joekanter

joekanter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys for the responses. They all make sense. I didn't want to break my new toy.:rofl Master Braindead0-seams like it happens only at a complete stop. If I let the clutch out just a bit, then it goes into gear nice and easy. No problem with the rest of the gears.
  6. braindead0

braindead0 Head Fisherman

Oddometer:
    Sounds perfectly normal. You can also try moving the bike forward/backward a bit (assuming it's in 2nd gear). Best bet is to downshift before stopping, that should always work.

It may clear up a bit over time as you break it in.
  7. Seikkailu_R

Seikkailu_R Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you can engage first gear without killing idling engine its ok :evil

Try any old Moto Guzzi... KTM clutch/transmission is silk smooth after that :rofl
  8. Zerodog

Zerodog Long timer

Oddometer:
    My guzzi is like shifting a tractor. It makes for some interesting practices while ripping ass up a canyon road.

As for the 640 just be nice to it. I have seen guys try to mash gears on bikes and it is just wrong. If you are needing to stomp it you are doing something wrong. With a little time it should break in nicely.
  9. ThumperDRZ

ThumperDRZ Bouncing off Rocks!

Oddometer:
    Make sure the free play in the clutch cable is adjusted correctly.....the cables stretch a little after break in..
  10. Rad

Rad Done riding

Oddometer:
    If you are talking about the first time you drop it into first gear after it has been started cold and allowed to warm up; it is very typical for the engagement to be difficult and jerky due to the fact that the clutch plates are sort of stuck together with cold oil.

Getting into neutral, or into first, after you have been riding is never super smooth on a 640 but it should be nothing like the first shift of the day.
  11. Seikkailu_R

Oddometer:
    Hydraulic clutch...
    2003-> ?
  12. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    Hey joe,

My 03 has always been like that... I got so used to it that I don't even realize that I am letting out the clutch lever a tad to slip it into gear. Never got a satisfying answer as to why this happens. I thought perhaps something was misadjusted, but can the clutch lever open the clutch too far? Nah, I doubt it. Maybe it is a manufacturing "defect". :dunno
  13. Seikkailu_R

Oddometer:
    Maybe that sweep spot is just where friction in clutch plates overcome friction in transmission. Gears start spinning slowly, helping engage gear.
    But plates start slip when gear is engaged.

If clutch is fully disengaged, gears stop?
    Sometimes dogs match holes, sometimes not.
  14. mo' tarded

mo' tarded Turnip Truck Driver

Oddometer:
    Yup, they almost all do that. At least the later models anyhow. Lots of agreement over on SMJ.

Get it in gear then give it hell!
  15. Dr.BillyBA

Dr.BillyBA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry Joe but none of these guys are telling you what is really wrong with your bike! When I had my LC4 and it did the exact same thing it ended up being the Kanueter Valve in the shifting mechanism. Its located right under the inner shift linkage below the chain line! Fix that and your shifting problems will be over! :thumbup
  16. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    You'd better fix yer spellin' before ChrisC gets here Doc...
  17. cevquit

cevquit maphead

Oddometer:
    I found that with my 640E, manual clutch, that there is a sweet spot in the adjustment of the clutch rod, a off little either way and the nuetral to first shift is noticabley notchier.
    Other wise its a LC4, if you push it just right it slips right in.
    Or the hyd cluth needs a bleed.

Like he said:nod
  18. fake nOOb

fake nOOb Banned

Oddometer:
    +1 :D
  19. dlh62c

dlh62c Long timer

Oddometer:
    I also have an 07 640 Adventure, but the problem I have is that the clutch lever needs to be squeezed all the way against the bar to change gears. Using two fingers to engage the clutch is out of the question as the other two fingers prevent the lever from contacting the handle bar. Does someone make a shorter clutch lever for the 640. My local KTM dealer recommended just to cut 1-2” off the lever.

daryl
  20. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    You've got a problem.
    How's your clutch lever adjusted? It shouldn't need to come to the bar, and the lever has an adjuster for the take-up point. Your dealer sounds like a right cracker to me. Steer clear of them.