950SE "Parking Lamp"

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by midfat, Jun 25, 2014.

1. midfat

midfat wholesome dirtiness

Oddometer:
    Socal, between the mountains, desert and ocean
    Okay, stupid question. My manual says the lower bulb in the OEM headlight is a "Parking Lamp." It doesn't do anything on my bike. Upon further inspection, it's a bulb with no wires. Not sure if this is an option for non-US markets, or if the previous owner at some point disabled for some unknown reason. I can't find any broken wires in the rats nest behind the headlamp, so I don't thinks it's accident related.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
  2. EastSideSM

EastSideSM Isn't that dangerous?

Oddometer:
    Mine looks to be the same ( I have an SM and our headlights I believe are the same.) Mine definitely lights up but barely. It doesn't serve any real purpose other than look like the bulb is barely lit (Think one of those cheap christmas tree bulbs on the green string of lights you can get at walmart). Maybe he disconnected so it was not drawing any juice so he could use the amps for something else he was running?
  3. buzybraza

buzybraza Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It is strange you don't have any wires there. I bought my bike in So.Cal and it has wires and it does work.

I actually use a different switch that allows me to turn everything off and turn it on one step at a time. What I mean is: I can have all off, then just this "parking lamp" you are talking about, then low and finally high beam.

But I never messed with the wire going to to the "parking lamp", I just messed with the switchgear by the left grip.....
  4. buzybraza

Oddometer:
  5. midfat

Oddometer:
    Any chance you can tell me the color combo of the wires that power the bulb? Or, better yet, snap a pic? If I can find the wires in the harness, I'd like to restore them. Seems silly to have a lamp with no purpose.
  6. buzybraza

Oddometer:
    Yes I can do that, but it may take a couple days to post pictures OK?
  7. midfat

Oddometer:
    No problem at all. Thanks!
  8. midfat

Oddometer:
    Buzy... Problem solved. I sorted through the wiring diagram and tracked down the leads. PO must have deleted the "Position Lamp" and chopped the wires at the connector. Founds the leads and we're all set. Really appreciate the offer.

Now I'm going to replace the worthless bulb with an LED lamp.
  9. buzybraza

Oddometer:
    Happy you sorted it.
    Check out the link above (post #4) anyways for my HID install. Still working good!
  10. oldfuddy

oldfuddy Long timer

Oddometer:
    did PO have a Rally Raid designs dakar-type fairing previously installed? That light is not used on the RR set-up and some folks either cut the wires or just tie the wires up out of the way. one way to check would be to see if there are any u-clamp marks (two total) on the neck of the frame.
  11. midfat

Oddometer:
    No evidence of a Raid fairing. I think it was just chopped for the sake if chopping.
  12. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF

Oddometer:
    I used the same wires on my GS to charge my GPS. Only hot when on or in park position.

Mark F.
    aka OILHED
    Central CT