Roadcrafter 3 decisions

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Pampero, Feb 10, 2015.

1. SkizzMan

SkizzMan Me caigo, me levanto

Oddometer:
    But then you gotta stand around waiting for your riding partner to get all his gear on. :augie
  2. S21FOLGORE

S21FOLGORE Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I ordered R-3 one piece suit Jan. 16th. and I received e-mail Feb. 10th. saying the suit is ready and it is on its way. (according to FedEx web site, it should get here (SF Bay Area, CA) tomorrow.
    It is pretty quick considering that they quoted 4 to 6 weeks to get the suit made (took them 3 & 1/2 weeks ) and I have some alterations with my order.
    I will report back after getting mine.
  3. AbqDave

AbqDave Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I got a onesie partially due to bias learned at the track, where two-piece suits are frowned upon. One day it dawned on me that with the way the roadcrafter is built, it's dependent on a zipper any way you cut it, and I'm not sure it makes much difference whether it goes lengthwise or circumferentially. A two-piece avoids one potential source of water entry (in the lap) but that onesie sure is convenient to shed, it's worth stepping out even at a brief stop to cool off, pee, and/or get the wiggles out. Jacket-wise, when it's cold I wear a windstopper fleece jacket under the roadcrafter anyways so I'm covered there. I think it boils down to the ability to completely de-gear with two zips. That can be an important comfort factor out on the big road.

I think you will love your new suit of armor. It'll break in with about a thousand miles of use and after that you will feel nekkid without it. Interesting outfit, you have to learn how to wrangle it. For example, I am now convinced the one-piece roadcrafter is the quickest pee in the west as far as motorcycle gear is concerned, but the first time you find yourself standing there in God's wilderness getting ready to do your business, you're going to find yourself scratching your head thinking, "how do I approach this." (I'm an over-the-top guy myself, and would simply say that if any zipper gets stuck, just shrug your shoulders, it'll straighten everything out and you're gtg. You'll see what I'm talking about.)
  4. phlatlander

phlatlander Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have the R2 variety in both. I prefer the 2 piece for many of the same reason you mentioned, primarily more versatility. As far as getting in and out of them I honestly don't think there is more than a few seconds difference, at least for me, and I feel like the 2 piece is faster due to a bum shoulder that hinders me on the 1 piece.

You can add the bib converter and wear the pants with a different jacket. At some point in the near future I want to get a motoport mesh kevlar jacket and will get by with the stich pants and bib converter until more funds are available to purchase motoport pants. Both of mine are older, mid to late 90's, but the 2 piece has never left me wet. Can't say the same for the 1 piece, the typical crotch wetness and yes adjustment of that area when u sit does eliminate the leakage.

Bryan
  5. Pampero

Pampero Verbose Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'll look for your impressions. I'm expecting a package any day but I'm pretty sure it will be a trial run as I expect to need some alterations.
  6. Pampero

Oddometer:
    Clearly what one likes is an individual thing. My biggest concern has always been how a stitch will work in warm weather riding but as it's still winter being warm seems ok.

I also gave consideration to Motoport gear The mesh kevlar is an appealing package. As it is I anticipate looking for summer gear with the stitch, not so certain that would be necessary with Motoport.

I appreciate all the comments and input. I do hope (and intend) to love my new armor!
  7. Mr. Canoehead

Mr. Canoehead Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer:
    Calgary, dreaming of riding the Alps, again
    Everything is a compromise. Mesh is great when the temp is between 75-95F, not good above or below that. Also most mesh is minimally protective and will melt when abraded. I have a Firstgear mesh jacket that I just don't wear much because I don't really feel safe in it.

I can't say whether Motoport is better, some say it is but at least one post I saw noted that only every 4th or 5th fiber is actually kevlar, the rest is standard mesh (and I really don't want to start a Motoport thread, they are second only to Oil and Tire threads in getting people upset).

The other thing about mesh is that running liners is a PITA. If you are heading into a rain shower, you have to stop and take the gear off, put in the liner, put the gear back on or die a cold, wet, hypothermic death. Then when you get out the other side, repeat the whole exercise or die a hot, sweaty, plastic bag death.

I love Goretex equipment and wouldn't buy riding gear with liners again.
  8. Pampero

Oddometer:
    There were a couple of issues that decided me on Aerostitch. In no particular order, their reputation for ease of doing business and accepting returns was compelling. This ties into the fact that I was pretty sure (correct as it turns out) that off the peg might not fit me and I wanted to be able to work with someone on that. Motoport does build to order, but I know from experience that my measurement schemes are not as precise as I would like and wanted the ability to do alterations after the fact. Maybe Motoport can accommodate that, but it's a given with Aerostitch.

The suit spec I wanted is also a bit less money as a stitch, not a deal killer, but something to ponder. I also didn't want to deal with liners. You don't entirely avoid that since you need to deal with layering for temperature regulation whatever you do, but my Rev'it suit required a rain liner and that was an inconvenience especially here in the northwest.

That doesn't diminish all consideration of the Motoport product, but it did tip the balance for me on this buy.

I also have an FG mesh jacket. I know what you mean. In addition I have a Vanson perfed leather jacket but sadly, I have "outgrown" it. I never really liked it anyway. Great quality but after a couple of years of use I realized it's too short in the torso for me. That's typical of many Vanson jackets.
  9. Steptoe

Steptoe steptoe

Oddometer:
    I've owned both and more than 10 years experience of wearing them .
    I prefer the one piece.

I had the add on bib and brace convertor section for the two piece as it stopped draughts between the trousers and jacket.

On the two piece I found the jacket far too short when wearing it by itself, and took much longer to get on and off and no where near as comfortable with all the zippered parts attaching top and bottom as well as up and down.
    And it was always difficult wearing something underneth in colder weather as the two piece isn't as forgiving in it's potential to be able to add additional layers and be comfortable at the same time.

One piece is so much more forgiving and can cope with shorts and a T shirt worn underneth in summer and multi layers in winter and be comfortable with both.
    Much faster to get on and off. For some reason I found it less bulky for storage when leaving it on the bike.
    Also, a big plus when on the road for a long trips and staying over night after riding in the rain was that i found the one piece dried quicker when hung up overnight.
  10. jbhawley

jbhawley WTF- Gus?

Oddometer:
    I'll chime in on this as I have done some extensive real world evaluation and research.
    If you've got a few minutes read here:
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=811931

This is a head to head comparison of a onsey RC-Classic and onsey Teiz Mesh.

Living in eastern NC and a year round rider in any weather or conditions, let's just say...I know hot, muggy, humid riding conditions. I recently upgraded to a RC3 Light for yearly wear. It is way cooler than the RC-Orignal in the summer. I surmise that the RC3-regular will be equally comfortable in the summer as the RC sans the liner is a much cooler wearing garment.
  11. Pampero

Oddometer:
    Thanks to both of you. I'm not sure how important getting in and out is to me (maybe it should be) but one thing that's been a recent consideration is (and that I learned here) is that the RC3, being unlined will likely be cooler. I can layer up for cold weather, but there's no "layering down" with the lining. That's an argument for the RC3 as it's only available as one piece.
  12. S21FOLGORE

Oddometer:
    Pampero

The R-3 is definitely cooler than the “original” (with the liner).
    I received mine 17th afternoon and went out for a test ride toward the end of the day.
    (Here’s a short video.)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/mWMvt-wFLtg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Being in Bay Area, it never gets exceedingly cold. It was low 60s - mid 50s (by the time I got back home near 6PM.

I wanted to see how “cool” it feels in warmer weather, so I deliberately dressed light.
    ( Tru-Spec tactical pants, merino wool long sleeve tee, and Dainese turtle neck, oh, and the silk scarf.)
    All the vent closed, and I took off.

There’s noticeable difference in the leg department. I could actually feel the temp is getting rapidly lower as the sun is going down. Had I been wearing heavy jeans or Carhart pants, I would have been a bit warmer.
    Anyhow, it was a good experiment.
    I’m really liking mine. I think you will like yours, too.
    Will report back more.
  13. Pampero

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to your further reports, S21. Thanks for the video! I have ten years of riding the roads in your world, lived in the Bay Area. My avitar photo was taken on Samson St, SF.
  14. CharlesLathe

CharlesLathe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a one piece Roadcrafter that is lined. I like that I don't have to think much about it. I put it on and ride. If it rains or gets hotter or colder, I only have to zip or unzip; maybe don my down sweater and or electric vest. The down sweater means I have a jacket in camp. I look dumb in the suit, especially in the summer, but it is so practical, I just live with that.

My wife and I have toured a lot and she had Klim gear. We both felt my suit had more advantages.

No options for me
  15. Pampero

Oddometer:
    I can look dumb in a suit carrying an attache, but then, I can look dumb wearing just about anything.:D
  16. Mr. Canoehead

Mr. Canoehead Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer:
    Calgary, dreaming of riding the Alps, again
    It's funny; I look in the mirror when wearing my 'stich and I think it looks great - hard core riding gear. I look like an IBA Extreme rider, even when I am just riding to work.

My wife and daughters think I look ridiculous in it.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
  17. Pampero

Oddometer:
    This beholder is looking forward to getting his beauty already:nod
  18. jimmex

jimmex Guero con moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    You know, I feel the same way. I feel very comfortable in my blue one piece 'stich, but people down in Mexico regard me as a space alien. Who cares...They just don't get it.
  19. baka1969

baka1969 Veteran Bubblehead

Oddometer:

If your wife and daughter think you look ridiculous you probably do. Hell, we all look sort of ridiculous all geared up. If you drove up in your car to the grocery store all geared out in your 'Stich you'd look ridiculous.

However! On your bike? On your bike you look fine. It's a matter of perspective. That said, who cares? You're already married so it doesn't matter. Also, no matter what you do, you probably look ridiculous to your daughter.

Don't worry I'll still buy you a beer even if you're all geeked out. :freaky
  20. S21FOLGORE

Oddometer:
    R-3 suit in warm spring weather

<iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Nut1rYd1z5o" allowfullscreen="" width="560" frameborder="0" height="315"></iframe>