Appalachian Tag-O-Rama for those that think vertically.

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by daGeeeze, Jun 27, 2009.

1. daGeeeze

daGeeeze Geeezed lightning

Oddometer:
    I've been having fun with the East TN tag and the NC tag but those of us living near the edge of those two states sometimes want something different. I copied these rules from RidgeRunner's NC Tag since it's so active and is working quite well.

I'm thinking of the entire Appalachian area. Try to keep it close to this:

[​IMG]

The game is simple, the rules are easy, the goal is to get people out riding. With the goal in mind, please dont make the clues so hard that we have to surf longer on the net than we have to ride to get the tag. So here are the rules :deal .

#1 FILE PHOTOS CAN ONLY BE USED TO PLACE A TAG NOT TO GET THE TAG.

#2 THE PHOTOS OF THE TAG SHALL BE AS CLOSE TO THE PREVIOUS TAG PHOTOS AS POSSIBLE. That means that the tagger needs to make sure that his photo can be shot be anyone on any bike. The taggers bike needs to be in the photo. So I think that if a road is goverment maintained and legal to ride then it is fair game. Gravel or not. Also tell us where the tag was.

#3 NO WHINING ABOUT IT BEING TOO FAR. If you think it is too far go get it and bring it back to your part of the state. Trust me I will.

#4 TAG MUST BE FINDABLE. If a tag is standing too long you will be asked to post a clue or a new tag. New tag must be posted no more than a coupole days of the posting of your tag grab. If a new tag isn't posted in a reasonable time we'll revert back to the tag you grabbed. Lets keep the game moving.

#5 HE WHO POSTS THE GRAB PHOTO FIRST WINS. It doesn't matter if you got to it first, he who post first wins the tag

That should be enough rules. So lets have fun and ride safe. All rules are subject to change if the larger part of the inmates think that it should change. Lets go play TAG!! Remember to make it fun and try to find historical sites or some kind of noteworthy landmark. Even more fun if we get a history lesson with the game.
  2. daGeeeze

Oddometer:
    I'll start with this one and make it easy just to get the ball rolling.

[​IMG]

Sharp folks'll point out that I'm already playing loose with my location rules. FUN is the point.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You may find yourself Lured to stay here if you come get this one.
  3. yamatech5

yamatech5 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I know where that is , this game might lure..... me in :D
  4. daGeeeze

Oddometer:
    :lol3 I said I wanted the first one to be easy. Kinda hot for a run now though. Yikes! I've been showing 95 degrees here for several hours now and I usually get lower readings here.

Of course the cool waters of that Lake might just Lure somebody out into an adventure.
  5. FOXedupONE

FOXedupONE Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cool tag game idea!:clap Keep it in the mountains.:thumb This encompases SE and NE regional forums but if it get's up that way they'll just have to come and find this game in here.

I say file photo's suck but what do I know.
  6. daGeeeze

Oddometer:
    Thanks. It should give someone an excuse to run through the mountains at least once.

File photos are a tough call but they can help the tag move more quickly and to be honest it's tough to say when you see a photo whether it's a file photo or not. Of course snow in the photo this time of year here in the Smokies would be pretty telling. :D

Now go get a tag!
  7. xtphreak

xtphreak from B4 "adventure bikes" Supporter

Oddometer:
    just saw this as I was cooking supper, and dang

exactly 3 miles from phreakshack!!

well within XT600E range:evil

[​IMG]

Point of View restaurant

good prime rib :nod

across the street from the damn dam marina in Lake Lure, NC where Buffalo Shoals Road turns off US-64 / US-74A

now if this'd been Wed of next week, I coulda run with it up North on the Nude Hampster Ride
  8. daGeeeze

Oddometer:
    Sweet. Toldja I went right past your house. :lol3

Short history:

In 1902, Dr. Lucius B. Morse and his brothers Hiram and Asahel purchased 400 acres (1.6 km<SUP>2</SUP>) around Chimney Rock (within present-day Chimney Rock Park) for $5,000. They later acquired enough land in the area to bring the total to 8000 acres (32 km<SUP>2</SUP>). Lucius Morse's wife Elizabeth is credited with naming the lake (and the town). <SUP class=reference id=cite_ref-History_of_Lake_Lure_2-0>[3]</SUP>
    In 1925, the Morse family created Carolina Mountain Power Company and funded the construction of a dam on the Broad River (through a mortgage) which produced the lake after which the town is named. The full impoundment of Lake Lure was completed in 1927. At ordinary water levels, Lake Lure covers approximately 720 acres (2.9 km<SUP>2</SUP>) and has a shoreline of approximately 27 miles (43 km). The dam's power plant began operations in 1928 with the sale of electricity.

Where to? Can't wait!
  9. xtphreak

Oddometer:
    if you came down Bills Creek Rd (NC1008) :nod

well the Tiger is on the work stand getting ready to go north to NH, so it'll either be close or a file tag

decisions decisions

edit: and I didn't even burn the smoked cornish hens

anybody know which end you light?
  10. daGeeeze

Oddometer:
    :rofl You snagged it too soon then. You can take it all the way up to NH if you want but then there's that 24 hour clock ticking. If you left it there someone else would have gotten it...maybe. If you put it nearby it might still be close enough to get again for the trip North. Decisions decisions. I don't envy you. I guess a file tag could move it up there and you'd be the only one who knew (in that region.)
  11. xtphreak

Oddometer:
    but tagging yer own tag is so ..... wrong :nah

let me wander thru some file photos after supper, tag'll be up b4 tomorrow AM
  12. xtphreak

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

* this old store is on a highway whose two digits add up to the square root of the highway the first tag was on :huh

I know I know, damn an engineer anyway, right? :rofl

* lessee since the territory is soooo big I think it's fair to tell you it's in NC

* and in the mountains

* and near gout

I had one in VA from last Halloween's ride, but looked at street view and thought it was gone, but just too many malted rehydrating beverages ... it's still there

so I'm using one I had for the NC Tag-O-Rama

shoot I liked the other better, too
  13. daGeeeze

Oddometer:
    Hm. The first tag was on 64 so that makes 8. Lots of good road sounding combinations; 17, 26, 35, 44, 53, 62, 71, and 80. I got nothin on gout except a whole lotta clinics that want to cure it for me. :lol3

That basic style of stonework is popular in the area. I've seen several buildings done in that style. Of course I couldn't tell ya where any of 'em are. :cry
  14. xtphreak

Oddometer:
    thought I'd killed the thread :huh

maybe if'n we keep going back and forth someone else will look in???

tomorrow I'll be on the way to Nude Hampster, so I'll check in late if at all

here's another clue

or 2

the last clue was referring to WHERE you usually get gout

but here's another pic

[​IMG]

yep this is in BLACK & WHITE ...
    which has a lot to do with the MOUNTAINS you can see in the background

and if you figger out where GOUT first attacks most often, you have the name of the RIVER that flows at the foot of this HIGH mountain range ... (subtle hint ... LOOK IN WIKIPEDIA!!!!!)

it's also the name of the road to the left just behind the Tiger, which is closed at its upper end (or was a few weeks ago) .. the road also turns into a Forest Service Road at the upper end (the sum of the digits equal 13).
  15. NCStephen

NCStephen Riding NC

Oddometer:
    Great set of clues... found it with just a little good googling. One nearby resort even uses that building as a landmark so you can make the turn to their place, even had a nice picture of it everything..

Have a safe trip. Still going to blend in an ss1000 on the trip?

Oh.. and congratulations on your adaptability to work stuff AND getting a blessing to leave the Phreakwife Unit at home alone.

NCS
  16. truck6driver

truck6driver Proud Navy dad!

Oddometer:
    I got the name of the river. And if my math is correct I have the road number. I'm guessing on the closest town location by it's name. Either way I still do not know how to start looking for the building. I will see what the founding member of the A.C.T.G. can come up with.

Hell I cannot go get it anyways.:lol3

Ray
  17. daGeeeze

Oddometer:
    I'm pretty sure there are enough clues there now. Trouble is there's a place I hate riding through on the way there. Plus it's getting late for me to make a run there. :deal
  18. xtphreak

Oddometer:
    you mean the "honey I'm gonna save some $$ (since I'm unemployed now) by riding the Tiger up to see Spencer." :evil

as to the SS1000 :dunno

don't know if I'm ready for that on the first day, don't know about weather, just don't know

I'm taking the paperwork and starting with a witness both directions, but if I get too tired or anything is questionable (hot weather), I'll do it in the fall when it's cooler
  19. caver101

caver101 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    great new TAG thread. I will be on the lookout for something coming near my area.
  20. NCStephen

NCStephen Riding NC

Oddometer:
    NOt a bad day ride from NW GA.. a lot closer than if it gets up NE PA. Go get it!