So, where to live?

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by Bill-66, Nov 11, 2011.

1. Bill-66

Bill-66 The End of the Republic is upon us... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey folks..my wife is looking at a transfer to the PNW..She would have stores along the 5 from Eugene, OR. to Everett Washington..

We could live where we want..mostly..Her new boss is suggesting Tacoma..I think tax wise we're better off in Oregon.. (car insurance, Property tax, registrations..etc..)

I'll have to find new employment..my background is in Construction..Welding, Welding business owner..and most recently a Construction Manager for a 5 state company..

Being close to riding..both for the GSA and the 2 stroke is IMPORTANT as is an airport for her..

Before Vegas we were in a county of 10,000 in Colorado and prefer small town life..

SUN..let's not forget SUN..the more the better..yes I know, it's gonna be wet..

What say you, you wet FF's? :D

Thanks and CHEERS!!
  2. bbagwell

bbagwell Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Since an airport is important I would suggest somewhere near Portland. Lots of places to ride that aren't that far as well.
  3. what broke now

what broke now Petroleum Brother Supporter

Oddometer:
    Try to estimate the total tax package, Oregon has state income tax, Wa. doesn't. Washington does have a 9.4~ % sales tax on most stuff. [ If you have a house remodelled, you would pay ~9.4 on the entire contract amount, eg. Oregon has no sales tax.

Most of the things you are used to in Vegas are going to be harder or more expensive to find in Puget sound area.

Check some of the other "where to live" threads here, some of your questions are likely answered.

Good luck.
  4. flying_hun

flying_hun Moral Hazard

Oddometer:
    Interesting. I'm not sure of the tax trade-offs. State income tax, but no sales tax versus no state income tax, but a bunch of other stuff. Don't know. Based on your other stated preferences, I would think somewhere north of Vancouver, WA. Maybe up towards Castle Rock or towards Chehalis. Not all that far from PDX. Access to good riding nearby. I think Tacoma is kind of far north for the geographic range of the stores she's got.

Good luck with the move.
  5. DireWolf

DireWolf Knees in the Breeze

Oddometer:
    I'd shoot myself in the foot before moving to Tacoma. :lol3
  6. Bill-66

Oddometer:
    Gas and Motorcycles??

We don't go to the strip unless we have to..It will be weird not doing things late..this is a 24 hour town..but, we've only been here 5 years..so..feh..where we lived in Colorado..'twas 50 miles one way to work..and groceries..

I've been looking at them..THANKS!!!
  7. n16ht5

n16ht5 ride the night

Oddometer:
    My thoughts exactly.

Stay away from lynnwood to olympia and you will be okay
  8. papaduc

papaduc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Redmond Oregon...
    Airport and more sun than most, oh, and riding.
  9. VancouverBob

VancouverBob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Live in the Clark County area (Vancouver, Ridgefield, Battleground, etc). I live in Ridgefield and I'm 20 minutes from PDX which I think is one of the nicest airports in the country and I've traveled a lot. No state income tax in WA and close enough to Portland (25 minutes) to shop for any big ticket items sales tax free!

Tons of riding in all directions paved, unpaved and single track.
  10. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    The lack of sun is going to be dramatic for you, unless you get into the rainshadow areas in the east.

Also keep this post in mind, which was posted by Uller on another AdvRider thread about the same topic:

http://nationalatlas.gov/articles/ge...canicrisk.html

<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width=592><TBODY><TR><TD></TD><!-- InstanceBeginEditable name="topic" --><TD class=geoH3 colSpan=2>Mount Rainier is one of the Most Hazardous Volcanoes in the United States </TD><!-- InstanceEndEditable --></TR><!-- InstanceBeginRepeat name="RepeatRegion2" --><!-- InstanceBeginRepeatEntry --><TR><TD height=43></TD><TD colSpan=2><!-- InstanceBeginEditable name="content" -->Although Mount Rainier has erupted less often and less explosively in recent millennia than its neighbor, Mount St. Helens, the proximity of large populations makes Mount Rainier a far greater hazard to life and property.
    1. The population at risk --More than 150,000 people reside on the deposits of previous lahars.
    2. The size and frequency of lahars --During the past few millennia lahars that have reached the Puget Sound lowland have occurred, on average, at least every 500 to 1,000 years. Smaller flows not extending as far as the lowland occur more frequently. If lahars of the future happen at rates similar to those of the past, there is at least a one in seven chance of a lahar reaching the Puget Sound lowland during an average human life-span.
    3. We may not have advance warning --USGS research shows that some lahars occur with little or no warning. Our only warning could be a report that a flow is under way.
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    <TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width=592><TBODY><TR><TD></TD><!-- InstanceBeginEditable name="topic" --><TD class=geoH3 colSpan=2></TD><!-- InstanceEndEditable --></TR><!-- InstanceBeginRepeat name="RepeatRegion2" --><!-- InstanceBeginRepeatEntry --><TR><TD height=43></TD><TD colSpan=2><!-- InstanceBeginEditable name="content" --></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width=592><TBODY><TR><TD height=43></TD><TD colSpan=2><!-- InstanceBeginEditable name="content" --></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width=592><TBODY><TR><TD height=43></TD><TD colSpan=2><!-- InstanceBeginEditable name="content" --></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    http://vulcan.wr.usgs.gov/Volcanoes/...framework.html <!-- / message --><!-- attachments -->

<FIELDSET class=fieldset><LEGEND>Attached Images</LEGEND>[​IMG]

</FIELDSET>
    <!-- / attachments --><!-- sig -->__________________
  11. HighwayChile

HighwayChile greetings from Wa state Supporter

Oddometer:
    info here is good but nobody can tell you but you. fly up, rent a car do some recon. some small towns are freakin fabulous, others are backwards inbred shit holes. waddya like to eat? food quality can range greatly. drinkin is covered where ever you go..

south of portland is decent, corvallis, salem etc.. to the east hood river , too far? windy but drier, colder. bend freakin rules on all accounts. some parts of washington are nice, but you must see the traffic first hand it can be mind numbing, also rent dont buy,
  12. turnsleft

turnsleft Long timer

Oddometer:
    You wouldn't have to, they do it for you.:evil
  13. ObiJohn

ObiJohn Screaming Banshee

Oddometer:
    The advice about living in WA just north of the WA-OR border is what I'd listen to. No state income tax, zip across to OR for big ticket purchases, not far from PDX, lots of great riding in both states within @ hours, go east an hour to get sun in the winter... need I continue?
  14. Craig McCurdy

Craig McCurdy BIGMAC

Oddometer:
    +1 :stupid
  15. dhally

dhally Hammerhead

Oddometer:
    The entire I5 corridor is rainy but there is more partly clear weather near the Columbia River. There is also more wind and cold weather... take your pick.

Where will your wife's employment be located technically (where does the check orignionate)? If it's in Oregon she will pay Oregon income tax no matter where you live. If it's in Washington and you live in Oregon you will both pay Oregon income tax.

Due to the economy in the two states, you may need to locate near a city to find welding or construction work. Probably closer to Tacoma or Seattle. I thnk Portland is still in a recession. The commutes are hell through any of the cities - Olympia, Tacoma, Seattle, Everett, Portland, and even Salem to a certain extent.
  16. MillCreek

MillCreek ADV Risk Manager

Oddometer:
    I live in the Everett area, and I have to frequently travel to hospitals/facilities in Everett, Seattle, Renton and Olympia for work. I also endorse the recommendation to live in the Vancouver area down by Portland. Traffic and the cost of living in the Puget Sound basin is significant.
  17. Bill-66

Oddometer:
    Her check is from..Des Moines..Maybe..:D I need to look at that.. (HUGE, Worldwide Co.)

Have been seein' a lot of ads for welders in the shipyards in Vancouver..prolly mind numbing work..but if it pays the bills 'til the economy turns..so be it..

I can't really imagine going any farther north than necessary.

Keep it comin' guys!!
  18. Bill-66

Oddometer:
    She will have 4 stores in Oregon..and 4 in Washington..we can pick where she offices from..but hence the airport..She also flys to Canada, Savannah and Iowa somewhat frequently..

Eugene, Portland, Clackamas and...Tualtin maybe..?? Then Everett, Tacoma, Isaquah (spelling?) and umm...1 more in that Seattle East kinda area..escapes me..

Thank You GUYS!!
  19. Bill-66

Oddometer:
    MOre significant than Vegas?? Sweet Jesus.. Only thing cheap here are crappy homes..:lol3:lol3

How much is Gas up there? Diesel?
  20. Bill-66

Oddometer:
    Meat and potatoes..we both love seafood..but cook at home mostly..

I could certainely be wrong..but the last two places I have been were fully californicated as to traffic..Denver then here..

We ar efixin' to come up..she has to travel the next two weeks..so..Merry Christmas? :lol3:lol3

I've been tryin to ride the GSA up there for the last two years..never made it, end up goin' to Colorado..

I'm dying to see it..

And yes..after 2 homes we've bought..1 in Florida (don't get me started) and 1 here..I'll be a long term renter from here on..unless we can find some property..