Help with 276C download

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by MANXMAN, Mar 30, 2006.

1. MANXMAN

MANXMAN Old Git

Oddometer:
    Anyone know what to do if a successful download of Topo into the 276C data card won't show on the GPS's screen? It recognizes the card but the basemap is all that shows.

Thanks,
    Manxman
  2. BurnieM

BurnieM Long timer

Oddometer:
    On the map screen, menu, Map Information

check that the maps have been downloaded and have a tick in the box to display
  3. Arch

Arch Incurable Gearhead

Oddometer:
    While on the main moving map page, hit the menu button and scroll down to Map Information. Click on that an ensure that the map product you want to use is selected.

Edit: Sorry Burnie, guess we were typing together. :D
  4. Loadedagain

Loadedagain making chips

Oddometer:
    manxman called me and we walked through it together. his 276c gps is running the 3.70 firm ware and mine is running the 2.70.

on my main screen (as arch said "the moving map page") i press 'menu'. at the bottom there is 'data card info'. in that window i can turn maps loaded to the data card on and off. his does not have the 'data card info' option :scratch

we both had our gps's in hand while we were on the phone. from what i can tell there must be a way with the newer 276c firm ware to turn on the maps loaded to the card. per the instruction manual his card is recognized with the maps he loaded to it.

how to turn the maps on?
  5. Arch

Arch Incurable Gearhead

Oddometer:
    It's different with later software. Use the method mentioned above and when the "map information" screen appears, one can scroll through loaded map products, select one with "enter" and look at its individual map sectors.
  6. Loadedagain

Loadedagain making chips

Oddometer:
    we got there, but the maps installed to the card were not "checkable". on mine the window sounds to be the same although the name is different. from what he described he had a check box beside the factory installed basemap, but none of the maps on the data card were listed.

it's kinda wierd... card goes in... machine beeps and says maps are on the card... manxy clicks "ok"... and he's off to the races... press "menu", then "map information"... only base maps available.
  7. Arch

Arch Incurable Gearhead

Oddometer:
    Dunno then. :dunno Somethin's up. I'd try reloading the card. BTW, this wouldn't by chance be a 512mb card, would it? If so, then we have other things to talk about...
  8. BurnieM

BurnieM Long timer

Oddometer:
    Are they unlocked for his unit ?

While MapSource will warn you that they are not unlocked before downloading, you can tell it to download anyway but your unit will not read them.
  9. sherpa

sherpa ...Robert

Oddometer:
    Topo maps don't have to be unlocked....you can share em with your friends...:wink:
  10. MANXMAN

MANXMAN Old Git

Oddometer:
    It's a 512mb card.
  11. ilmostro

ilmostro Under Da Sea

Oddometer:
    :hide
  12. pckopp

pckopp Aged Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You need to update the firmware in your 276 to version 4.00. This firmware version, along with the latest MapSource version 6.10.2 will allow you to fully use the 512M card.

Garmin Download and Update Page

I have 4 different map sets loaded in my 276 and they all work perfectly.
  13. Loadedagain

Loadedagain making chips

Oddometer:

these little pieces are falling into place aren't they manxy? nice to know it isn't our fault :clap
  14. Arch

Arch Incurable Gearhead

Oddometer:
    I had a feeling you'd say that. First of all, if you're using the old data card programmer, ditch that. You gotta load these things direct through the unit via USB. Then you need the latest MapSource, version 6.10.2. After that install the latest 276c code, version 4.00.

Check these two threads...
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126155
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127687

Respective download pages...
    http://www.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=209
    http://www.garmin.com/support/collection.jsp?product=010-00331-00

Read this thread while the files are downloading...
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112100

FWIW, my replacement 512 is running OK, but I won't completely trust it again till I'm able to do a seriously long ride/drive with it, so I carry my spare 256 around. YMMV.
  15. MANXMAN

MANXMAN Old Git

Oddometer:

I spent about 1 hour with the Garmin support tech and we updated everything possible. Now I can download about 200mb but anything over that won't work. The tech says there must be something wrong with the card if thats all it will accept. He tells me to call my retailer and get a replacement card to see if that solves the problem.

Thanks for all the help and I'll see if the new card is the problem. Boy this is no fun so far.

Manxman
  16. Loadedagain

Loadedagain making chips

Oddometer:
    sounds to me like a 256 card may be the coolest thing at this point. ... my 256 seems to hold most of the southern bc topo maps.
  17. MANXMAN

MANXMAN Old Git

Oddometer:

Latest update....

Just got off the phone with GPS Central and the new card is coming to try...but, they say it won't help the problem. There is a problem with 512 and Topo. It won't download full mb of maps for topo, but will for the other types like city or whatever. Garmin knows about it, but no fix is out yet.
  18. sherpa

sherpa ...Robert

Oddometer:
    Help me understand this...you're saying GPS Central told you that you cannot fill up the entire 512 card with just Topo....but you can load Topo along with another map type on the card...is that correct?

At present I have my 512 card loaded with about half Topo and half City Select.
  19. MANXMAN

MANXMAN Old Git

Oddometer:
    They said that Topo won't load fully on a 512, but City would fully load on it. I don't know about the combo as it never came up. It's over my head, but until I try the replacement card, and see if I still have the same problem, I guess I have to trust them. They don't understand why the Garmin Support Tech would not have told me this. I am not the only one who has had this problem according to them.
  20. BurnieM

BurnieM Long timer

Oddometer:
    So are you hitting the map segment limit (rather than the card size limit) ?

A GPSmap 276C will only take 900 map segments, but MapSource will tell you if you go over this (at least MS v6.10.2 will)