Death Valley DAZE 2013

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest & whatever' started by RAZR, Nov 30, 2012.

1. 2wheeljunkie

2wheeljunkie Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That was my thinking. Get some exposure. My wife was worried that I might get gang-raped by a bunch of bikers and left for dead out in the desert. I told her it wasn't that kind of event. Something tells me it might be though.
  2. DSM8

DSM8 Where fun goes to die....

Oddometer:
    Oh you might get gang raped but in the event you are then they will keep you alive to pay for the beer....
  3. 2wheeljunkie

2wheeljunkie Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Fair enough. I'm in.
  4. Off Limits

Off Limits Banned

Oddometer:

what kind of bike? get knobby tires. i like peroni.
  5. CA Stu

CA Stu Peace and Love

Oddometer:
    :stupid
    Don't let Dave's wishful thinking keep you away.
    He's been begging for that treatment for years and as far as I know he's never had his :ymca dream come true yet.

Just show up and say "howdy", you'll find people to ride with and it'll be fun. :thumb

Welcome aboard!
  6. Lasherman

Lasherman Ah Sh!t!

Oddometer:
    Just be aware of your gas range, wanna be at least 150 miles or so. Other than thats lots of nice people.
  7. longtallsally

longtallsally Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer:
    My first ADV deal was DVDaze. I had a blast and learned a lot. I rode down with the AAAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHH riders which certainly puts a real twist on things.

My only advice in terms of riding is to make sure you've got the range mentioned.

In terms of the rest, just beware of Stu when he breaks out the Jaeger (I'm still pissed I forgot to get you a bottle while we were in Germany). Otherwise a good crew there to help. If you wanna get into the real strange de-noobing stuff, you need to head to WARPED.
  8. 2wheeljunkie

2wheeljunkie Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Brand spankin new (800 miles) KTM 990 Adventure with stock tires. Will the Pirellis cut it? Got Black Dog skid plate and side stand relocator on the way. Probably gonna get som Zega Pros too if I can bring myself to keep spending money.
  9. Memnok

Memnok Fly high, go far.

Oddometer:
    I'd love to have a 990; if I wasn't so poor, I'd get one. Oh yea, this is the other reason I don't have one:

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Zibj7KnjClk" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

But I'll ride yours for ya! :evil
  10. Off Limits

Off Limits Banned

Oddometer:

i dont know what zega pros are but get a knobby front tire. is this your first bike ever? if it is make sure you are able to pick it up if it falls over, we all already have bad backs and are old farts.
  11. longtallsally

longtallsally Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer:
    Please tell me this is not your first bike. If so, it's cool, but that is a very powerful and capable machine. Pay very close attention to guidance from some of these clowns as you will be able to get in over your head real quick with that toy and there are some unforgiving places in DV.

I'm assuming those are Scorpions? They are acceptable near as I can tell, but I have no personal experience. It just depends on how silly you want to get.
  12. Windrat

Windrat just a poser

Oddometer:
    if you plan to ride in the dirt get knobby tires... you will need good riding gear
    can you fix a flat on the road... I could go on...
    death valley has some great eazy riding but tools spares and riding gear are a must have
  13. 2wheeljunkie

2wheeljunkie Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Not my first bike. I'm pretty sure I would be dead already if it was. I've been playing in the dirt quite a bit already but mostly fire roads and easier trails. I can change a tire and I got me some mechanical skills, outdoor skills and all that but I think I might sit this out after all. Reading back through all the posts, It looks like most folks are riding smaller dual sports and not so much the big bikes eh?
  14. Luv2putt

Luv2putt RETIRED!!

Oddometer:
    If you can ride up this kinda stuff you'll be fine. If rocky step-ups aren't for you, don't go.

[​IMG]
  15. notmybikemodelname

notmybikemodelname KOTW is a myth!

Oddometer:
    Speaking of that dickhead, are you going?
  16. Lost Roadie

Lost Roadie High-Tech Meets Low Class Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lake Isabella, CA USA / Mai Chau, Vietnam

Sounds like to me you have all the basics you need, including the right attitude from your previous posts.
    Some people feel they need to have lightweight high performance, very specialized bikes with all the specific bits to ride dirt roads, others just ride what they got and have fun just the same. :deal
    Your bike is perfect for DV.

Up Golar wash and down Mengel Pass on a R1200R with track tires.

[​IMG]

BTW, speaking of Golar wash, the photo posted above this post, there's no steps there, it's a grated gravel road so far this year, or was when I was there not long ago.

Come on out and ride if you want to ride in groups, you'll find folks appropriate to ride with at any of the ADV DV get togethers. There's plenty of good safe non-technical riding out there that's big bike friendly, matter of fact I'd say 90% of the riding you would do at these events is big bike friendly.
    One can never improve their skills if they don't test them.
  17. notmybikemodelname

notmybikemodelname KOTW is a myth!

Oddometer:
    Finn,

I'd bump that up to 98% is big bike friendly. But in the middle of that 98% is where the 2% will bite ya on a big bike. However, the OP should take comfort in the fatc that we always wait for people at the tough spots and no one gets left behind. Besides, if we didn't wait at the tough spots, we'd never hav any good pics, would we? :lol3
  18. Lost Roadie

Lost Roadie High-Tech Meets Low Class Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lake Isabella, CA USA / Mai Chau, Vietnam

True that. :beer

My main point is the fellow should come on out if he wants to, his bike is perfect for DV and it shouldn't matter what other folks posting in here are riding when deciding.

There will be plenty of 400+ pound DS bikes around, and few are better suited for DV that his IMO.
  19. Off Limits

Off Limits Banned

Oddometer:
    With these kind of gatherings, there's usually a lot more people and bike variety then you actually see posted up on here. I wouldn't be suprised if there's 5 or more 990 adventures out there that weekend. Not to mention the BMW gs1200 crowd. I wouldn't hesitate to show up on a Harley and ride pavement all weekend. It really is that nice out there.
  20. Memnok

Memnok Fly high, go far.

Oddometer:
    Almost ready for DVDaze! I've replaced the oil in my foot pegs, change the windshield wipers, and I'm rewiring the Flux Capacitor as we speak!

[​IMG]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2