Day Trip to GWNF 8/26/13

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by KLRRix69, Aug 23, 2013.

1. KLRRix69

KLRRix69 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just posting this thread for who ever would like to join me this Monday, Audust 26th on a day trip to the G.W. National Forest. I might possibly head out Sunday evening to camp for the night. Not sure exactly where yet, Harrisonburg area most likely. I'm always up for something different if you have suggestions. I realize most of you all out there have those Mon-Fri gigs. But let me know if you'd like to join, as always it should be a good time! :freaky
  2. FATNBLD

FATNBLD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey man

Been watching your videos, good stuff.

Can't join you this time, but keep posting up when you are going for a ride and maybe one day ill be able to tag along on my KLR.

JR
  3. KLRRix69

KLRRix69 Adventurer

Oddometer:

I'm glad you're enjoying my vidoes. Make sure to check out the Central VA newly discovered trails thread, thats where most the action happens. I'm out in the GWNF all the time, I'll be sure to post when I head out in advance.
  4. Forrest6775

Forrest6775 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Check out the laurel springs area in the Monangahela national forest if your close. I've been there and the FS roads in the Jefferson off 311 near Paint Bank. Wish I could go.
  5. KLRRix69

KLRRix69 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info, I was just in that area (Spruce knob, Seneca rocks) Is that near it?
  6. Forrest6775

Oddometer:
    Yeah. Laurel Fork? Is close to Spruce Knob/Seneca. If you haven't been ride through Dolly Sods too. Maybe north from Monterrey and the road that cuts over to get there is nice too.
  7. KLRRix69

KLRRix69 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Than you, I appreciate all the great info.
  8. malmon

malmon Unknown Noobody

Oddometer:
    I don't know where Laurel Fork or Monterrey is but we passed by Dolly Sods accidentally, from E Lanesville Rd coming from Hwy 32 to Hwy 28.

After camping at the Canaan Valley Resort, we (3 sport touring bikes ) got drawn into it when we decided to follow the short route option on my gps not knowing it's gravel road to our surprise and saw the Dolly Sods entrance at the top. A good 10 miles (or more, I remember a fork off road as we were going downhill). After that, I told myself I'm going back there with the right tool and have more of WV goodness, we all had a blast either way.
  9. KLRRix69

KLRRix69 Adventurer

Oddometer:
  10. Forrest6775

Oddometer:
    Coming north on 220 you turn left on 17(snowy mountain rd.) to cut over to 28. Snowy mountain rd is really pretty but it is a paved rd. That area all around Highland county and into WV feels different than the rest if those two states.
  11. malmon

malmon Unknown Noobody

Oddometer:

I do not have a saved off road route in WV and what I have are some WV on-road routes in adobe format (which I have not tried), I can email them to you if you want them.