Mexico with a Pig

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by KustomizingKid, Dec 15, 2013.

1. black top bob

black top bob gray goat Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've been with you on this entire trip and I can see you have grown. That sense of humility you demonstrate has always served so many of us well. Yes, walking in different shoes sure is an eye opener.:1drink Great RR, peace brother.
  2. propforward

propforward PIE!romaniac

Oddometer:
    Nice report, well done. Very ballsy, all round.

I am amazed to see an English Electric Lightning sitting there in that museum. :thumb

Now I have to go there. :D

Sucks about the camera, but like you say, easy enough to replace.
  3. KustomizingKid

KustomizingKid Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oldxr, my baja riding buddy gave me all his pics... so this ride report is back :deal

[​IMG]
  4. KustomizingKid

Oddometer:
    Where was I...

Oh ya, that boat, great ride :evil

I got off that boat and I was not a happy guy, and wanted nothing to do with their lines and semi trucks and military check points. I tried waiting for a few minutes, but I just wasn't having it. So I followed sop for bikes in Mexico and skipped right to the front :lol3 I gave this military guy one hell of a scowl and he let me go without checking anything. I hopped on the 1 and was in Cabo an hour and a half later. I got to spend the next few days living in style, it was a real adjustment from the $150 pesos/night places...

[​IMG]
  5. riverflow

riverflow Half Built

Oddometer:
    Awwwww yeeeee.
  6. akaDigger

akaDigger Amateur Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I enjoyed very much my tour of the Pima Air Museum in the company of my uncle, a retired Air Force Colonel, who lived in Tucson. This is a worthwhile tour even if you are unguided.
  7. El Dangeroso

El Dangeroso Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sweet Jacket! So glad you did this trip. Enjoyed the ride report, what an experience. We'll have to do some trail riding this year. I've also acquired a 2000 Triumph Tiger so I'll be able to keep up on gravel roads without having to mix gas at fuel stops.
  8. KustomizingKid

Oddometer:
    The riding gear worked great... the plastic lined pants can be, unpleasant in the heat, and have the smell to prove it :evil

I plan on trail riding as much as possible this year, even bought a trail support vehicle, pics of that to come.
  9. KustomizingKid

Oddometer:
    Before leaving Cabo I had a few issues with the bike I needed to address... number one being my Giant Loop bag. I am using the Great Basin which is supposed to hook into the passenger footpegs and something in the rear, neither of which the XRR has. As a result both my lower straps had been damaged, and the bag was constantly moving around and driving me nuts. Oldxr had a great solution using some flat bar and a few chain links. We popped over to the local welder and I had a set made up for $200 pesos.

[​IMG]

I picked up a brand new set of Maxxis IT Desert tires for $2650 pesos and went over to BajaHo's to sort my bike out... well actual his neighbors house.

[​IMG]
  10. TheBlurr

TheBlurr Banned

Oddometer:
    Had a camera stolen in the Philippines out of the zipper on my bag. Looking back I know exactly how they did it I just did not realize that pick pocketing is not like TV. I had been lucky and had just switched out cards so they did not make off with to many pictures. But I am with you, I never cared about the camera, actually they did me a favor as it was an older digital with poor quality video so they did me a favor.
    I picked up a new one in a mall the next day, a mere inconvenience, I did have a few cool recent pictures but again, I am blessed they did not take the camera bag and only the camera and the dozen or so photos on it.
    I would love to carry an expensive camera but I will always carry a decent inexpensive one at best because of theft.
    I do not know Mexico but I know the Philippines well and your statement is spot on I suspect for anyplace in the world. We have even with the shit opportunities in America way more opportunities than most places, although with that said thieves are usually people not interested in whatever opportunities in said area other than the easy pickings off other people.
  11. jehu

jehu ∩HƏſ Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey Brandon, I'm sitting on Richardo's porch reading your ride report to him and he is blown away by your moxie to take the route you did through Batopilas and Durango to Mazatlan. He says you've done good and way to go. Do me a favor and send him an email. One thing we are wondering about is....did your girlfriend show up?
  12. KustomizingKid

Oddometer:
    She did show up!

I really haven't talked about my time in mainland much... I will have to write a bit more about that. I'm hanging out in San Francisco right now, time to go see the city and drink a few beers.
  13. barnyard

barnyard Verbal tactician Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    2 enthusiastic thumbs up.
  14. twisted-hog

twisted-hog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Headed to Cabo in April and was curious if my tires wore out or my chain needed replacing if there is a place in Cabo to get both?
    I guess there is?
    Only riding down from Tecate and back so 3500 miles total?
  15. KustomizingKid

Oddometer:
    There are two Moto shops in Cabo... The big one is very well stocked, they only carry Maxxis tires though. You can get a desert IT or a desert IT or you have the option of a desert IT :D for the rear that is... They had another tire for the front another IT. I'm sure they can order you something else if you have time to wait though...
  16. mitchn06

mitchn06 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did you make it home yet?
  17. riverflow

riverflow Half Built

Oddometer:
    He should have by now, he's been there forever! Though it is getting warmer back up in the states...

Oh, you meant did he arrive where he started :D
  18. KustomizingKid

Oddometer:
    I made it home hahahaha... On a -14 degree day in a truck with no heat. I had my sleeping bag wrapped around my legs and hand warmers stuffed in my shoes.

:rofl
  19. prime

prime Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice report! I like your view on the country and the people! With any luck I will be on that ferry next April, in a cabin!