I Want To Do DAKAR (The Right Way)

Discussion in 'Racing' started by J Lewis, Dec 5, 2011.

1. J Lewis

J Lewis Numb Nuts

Oddometer:
    I have a couple available.
  2. J Lewis

J Lewis Numb Nuts

Oddometer:
    Now we have the class set up for the Adventure bikes, you can sign up for it here.

http://www.altrider.com/taste-of-dakar-2013/pid/1115

Like the first one we did for the smaller bikes (now part of a special class we do at various times during the year for $1200-$1400 per event) this one is the first and therefore priced WAY below what we will charge in the future. So if you are thinking about participation on one of these and money is a concern, do this one as it is at or below our cost to put it on. And it is how we learn if the class is set up properly (you will be a Guinea pig).

We will teach all the same techniques as in the racing class but using different tools and different routes specifically aimed at big twin cylinder adventure bikes.

The class is run on the back side of the Alt Rider Taste Of Dakar event and you will sign up through them. As we get closer you will receive information on what you'll need but it won't be much more than your bike (with off-road tires) and the ability to have fun and learn.

Plus the event is a lot of fun too.

And if any "actual" Dakar riders would like to participate in the event, PM me.

JIMMY
  3. Stagehand

Stagehand Imperfectionist

Oddometer:
  4. beechum1

beechum1 Dandole Gas al Burro

Oddometer:
    Penciled in.
  5. guymanbro

guymanbro da Vermonster

Oddometer:
    What is the difference between the "regular 1-day class" and the "2-day Rally Navigation Class" aside from the obvious factor of an extra day? Also curious if a 2-cylinder bike is required as I don't own one. But I do own two single-cylinder bikes. . . hmmm
  6. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Supporter

Oddometer:
    you know you want to Tumu!
  7. guymanbro

guymanbro da Vermonster

Oddometer:
    No question about the desire, I just need to decide which class to take and then figure out the hows and the whens. . . You wanna carpool out to the desert? :lol3
  8. skibum69

Oddometer:
    time and $$ for me as always, but of course I want to :D
  9. J Lewis

J Lewis Numb Nuts

Oddometer:
    At the AltRider event the one-day class is a riding skills class and the two-day class is solely navigation. You can do either on any kind of bike as long as they are street legal.

Here is an information sheet on the Nav Class:

Adventure Bike Rally Navigation Training Info

Overview: This class gives riders an insight on the skills it takes to follow the route in a mapbook navigation rally. We teach the basics of reading the mapbook, understanding all of the information and putting the pieces together to figure out where to go by triangulating the information from the odometer, GPS and mapbook. In this class the routes will be tailored for a twin-cylinder adventure touring bike.

What you need: Riders will need to be confident in riding their bike on gravel and mildly sandy two-track roads. Bikes must have a resetable to zero odometer and a place on the handlebar to mount a Jart Chart sized (aprox 3” X 4”) roll chart holder. Bikes need to be street legal, have at least 100-miles fuel range and must have knobby type tires for safety. You’ll also need a GPS that can accept Garmin or GPX files and reads the heading (CAP, Course, or Bearing) in easy to view numerical values. We use and prefer the Garmin 60 CSx for this training. (e-Trex, 5 and III+ also work)
    Riders need to be fit for a full day of off-road riding and be able to carry all food and water needed for the day.

What is provided: JLR will provide all instruction (classroom and on-the-trail) for this course (it is a less intense version of our 4-Day Rally Navigation Class that riders preparing to race rallies take) and mapbooks in the rollchart size. We will let you borrow the rollchart holder if you do not have one. We will provide a rally-style bag lunch both days as well have a group dinner on Sunday night. We will provide lodging at the overnight stay (it is a rally so it is a surprise, it could be anything from a rustic cabin to a roadside motel/hotel) and we’ll transport anything you’ll need to that overnight stop. The small things like highlighter pens, papers, tape, glue, for the mapbooks will be provided.

Other Info: If you need to leave a vehicle at the event we have plenty of secure parking at our location in Pahrump. We will get an early start on Sunday (instruction will start at 10 AM) and you’ll likely ride into the early evening. Monday will be a full day as well. It is a good idea to have a SPOT locator (or similar and we will have some instructions on how we can use this ) in case of an emergency or getting seriously lost, but we will provide riders with plenty of “bail out options”. Cell phones work about half the time.

For more information contact: Info@jimmylewisoffroad.com
  10. drc42

drc42 Rally Dreamer

Oddometer:
    Jimmy, the rally training class is very high on my list for this year. Problem is between work and distance (I am on the east coast) I need to plan ahead by several months. Do you know what your schedule will be for next year? I am recovering from injury but hope to be back into riding seriously by mid spring (hopefully in time for the Mexican 1000).
  11. beechum1

beechum1 Dandole Gas al Burro

Oddometer:
    Hey Doug, let's talk when we get closer. I may have an XR600 that you can ride.... just bring your roadbook et al.
  12. drc42

drc42 Rally Dreamer

Oddometer:
    Cool, that just might make this possible. Takes a good part of a week each way to drive out with my bike. Granted I have family on the way I can visit but I did that last summer (to and from V2R) and they are probably sick of my for now :lol3

Much appreciated. Will be in touch.
  13. J Lewis

J Lewis Numb Nuts

Oddometer:
    Right now I have a returning client that wants to do Rally Navigation Training the week of February 11-15.

We will be working on sand riding and navigation as well as looking at doing some longer stages. He is open to having other riders participate in the class.

If you are interested please let me know. The cost will depend largely on participation but anticipate between $1000-$1400 for the session and that includes the roadbooks.

These classes do not come up that often and I do not know when the next one will be. The class in conjunction with the Altrider rally will teach the basic mechanics but the riding will be tuned for twin-cylinder BMWs. This class is set up for riders who are looking at competing in a road-book navigation rally and will teach you how to navigate with on-bike equipment no matter the organisation putting on the event.

Bikes will need a 120-mile fuel range and full-sized mapbook as well as an adjustable odometer that reads in miles. You'll need a GPS that reads numeric headings (CAP) and can except .GPX or garmin files. We prefer the Garmin 60 CSX though some others will work.

If you are interested e-mail me at jimmy@jimmylewisoffroad.com for more info.
  14. traveltoad

traveltoad Aaron S

Oddometer:
    Is this a 2 day or 4 day Nav Class?
  15. Brimstone

Brimstone Super Duper n00b!

Oddometer:
    Dang. I would love to hit that navigation class... Just can't get down there on this short notice though. Will keep my eyes and ears open for another run though. Hopefully will have my bike sorted by then as well!!
  16. J Lewis

J Lewis Numb Nuts

Oddometer:
  17. skibum69

Oddometer:
    Rick Hatswell is in Victoria if I remember correctly, he can help you a bit.
  18. guymanbro

guymanbro da Vermonster

Oddometer:
    Ruh-roh, I sense a fall foliage cross country trip in my future. . . anybody from the east coast considering this - we should talk about moto-pooling. . .
  19. Stagehand

Stagehand Imperfectionist

Oddometer:
    yup :D
  20. guymanbro

guymanbro da Vermonster

Oddometer:
    We'll talk on or shortly after May 5th. . . (gotta make sure we're in before we plan the trip) :clap:clap:clap