Round Way Round! Fishy's 2012 Adventure ride!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Mr. Fisherman, Jun 8, 2012.

1. Byway Writer

Byway Writer Backroads Explorer

Oddometer:
    There I was several years ago living in Minnesota and dreaming of big adventures. I found your site and really got excited. Now here I am living in the Pacific Northwest loving the adventures. Now I dream of enough time to explore all the places that are nearby and not so near. Congrats on your retirement. Look forward to reading about your adventures.

2. Mr. Fisherman

Mr. Fisherman Back in Black!

Oddometer:
    Bike maintenance day. Battery was weak so i replaced it while i can. Changed the oil and filter and Lubed the chain and verified tension. Safety wired the hitchpin on the trailer and did laundry.
    staying at my brothers in Hamilton watching the storm roll in over the mountains. Life is good.
  3. Ladukebob

Ladukebob Spaceark

Oddometer:
    Don't forget to grease those muffler bearings and adjust the Fetzer valve

:rofl

Happy travels!
  4. CaptainAttila

CaptainAttila Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good call. :rolleyes:

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
  5. Mr. Fisherman

Oddometer:
    Learn from history or prepare to relive it. I am venturing alone in the wilderness , i must rely on myself.
  6. Mr. Fisherman

Oddometer:
    As of 3 days ago Lolo motorway and Magruder are both still closed due to snow and trees.
    I rode as much of Lolo as I could. I was the first to make it through on the 109 and down Parachute grade. I also was the first to make it through Elm Meadows through Montana and out the 465 I think it was... good times and the Camas flowers were in bloom at Packer Meadows.
    There is a cornus with a 33 foot drift over it on Magruder on the East side and you can only get about 10 miles in from the Elk City side so far.

I did ride around the gate on the furthers east section of Lolo Motorway... very cool. I rode around trees, over trees and under trees until there were too many arge trees down to get around.

Here is a little 8 inch log I jumped both ways... down hill was a bit exciting as it was off camber and you had to line up headed for the cliff. Fun with the trailer but it handeled it fine.
    [​IMG]

Thias section is very overgrown... fun!

[​IMG]

Watch the washout on the 109...
    [​IMG]

Got around this one...
    [​IMG]

Too many to continue...

[​IMG]

the gate...
    [​IMG]
    Fun stuff...
  7. Mr. Fisherman

Oddometer:
    Magruder is still closed due to trees and snow.
    I am headed for Shoup and Panther Creek, likely towards Challis and the Phasimerois. Not sure what service will be like or where I am headed after...
  8. Mr. Fisherman

Oddometer:
    My rig attracts attention...

[​IMG]
    Packer meadows with the Camas flowers in bloom...

[​IMG]

Near the top of Elm Meadows summit just before the Montana border...
    [​IMG]

Montana line
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The first reported to make the 109 Parachute loop...
    [​IMG]

Met these guys after I broke through the last 2 drifts that they had just finished picking one of their bikes out of...

[​IMG]

Tried to talk them into doing the 109 loop back. one of them was prety skeptical :lol3.

Devils chair?
    [​IMG]

Nice scenery on the 109
    [​IMG]

the washout...
    Worse than it looks...

[​IMG]
  9. Mr. Fisherman

Oddometer:
    one more...

A nice place to stop.
    [​IMG]
  10. Road Rash

Road Rash Infamous Supporter

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  11. Drtyfun

Drtyfun Here and There

Oddometer:
    I am a little late getting here, but following along. Enjoy the ride!:clap
  12. Mr. Fisherman

Oddometer:
    Went through Darby to Shoup, then Panther creek to moccasin creek over Williams creek into Chalice. Wind was crazy, low on supplies so headed to town. Heard the skeeters were horrible camping near the Phasemerois. Couple that with the blast furnace and i was ready to head back to the high country and get out of the wind. Stayed at Bayhorse campground.

[​IMG]
  13. Nut Clutch

Nut Clutch was Steve Lavigne

Oddometer:
    Looks like a sweet trip. Your bike and trailer make perfect sense, especially given your liberal application of time.

Thank you very much for the help getting my bike loaded in the trailer in Enterprise. All weekend you were very generous in helping folks out with their bikes. You are truly a top notch dude.

Steve Lavigne
  14. Mr. Fisherman

Oddometer:
    Thanks, but its nothing that you or others wouldn't do for me...
  15. Mr. Fisherman

Oddometer:
    Best day of riding yet. In Boise visiting family. Update when i can.
  16. Radioman

Radioman Moto rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    :wave Hello Mr. Fishy!! Loving catching up on your ride!
  17. Mr. Fisherman

Oddometer:
    Thanks Mark, but it pales in comparison to yours. I should have made room for the laptop, but im not sure how it would have faired on this trip so far. Hopping logs with the trailer is fun and so are downhill switchbacks.

My rugged smart phone has been throughly tested.

I'll try to get to a computer to post an update today.
  18. dewunder

dewunder Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Fishy, this is the skeptical one you met at the top of Parachute Hill road. The reason for my skepticism was your over blown description of 109. I was expecting a 2 foot ledge and a 1000 ft drop instead I find the washout pictured , you could drive a car around it! Rode both 109 loop and Elk meadows with no challenge what so ever.

DeWunder
  19. Mr. Fisherman

Oddometer:
    I started North of Darby MT. Headed to Shoup...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The store is now open. Ben is the proprieter and offers beer, ice cream and pizza for now. he has a limited supply of fuel as well. Cabins are available. Stop in for a cold beverage and a slice of pie. Tell him I said hi and that I sent you. Please be sure to slow down in this area. The locals are frusterated with the speeding rafters. There are children and pets crossing the road.

From here I made my way to Panther Creek... I was happy to be out of the rafter traffic.

[​IMG]

From Panther Creek I followed Moccison Creek...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    you will have to wait for better pics until I can upload them. This picture does no justice,,, go see it for yourself.

[​IMG]

Moccison creek took me to Williams Creek and over to the main highway into Challice. I had intended to go see the Pahsemeroi's but the wind was fierce and HOT... I needed gas and supplies so I continued to Challice.
    Being Sunday the stores had closed early. I had a bite to eat at the bowling alley, fueled up and decided I had had enough of the bake oven winds... so I turned back towards the high country.
    I took highway 21 to Bayhorse campground. It was nice to be out of the wind and there were no mosquitos. Bonus.

[​IMG]

The view from camp wasn't bad...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

From here I headed to Stanley, stopping at the Sawmill for breakfast and coffee as my gas cylinder had leaked and there was no wood available in camp... I must have tossed my spare cylinder aside as I was pairing down my load. Lesson learned.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I intended to take Lolo to Bear Creek but took a wrong turn up the 8 and found this historic cabin.

[​IMG]

I met a man and his daughter who were riding 2 strokes. He told me he had tried getting over Bear Creek to Clear Creek into Lowman 10 days ago but wasn't able to make it through. I had to see for myself. I have a saw, a hatchet and a trail blazing attitude, I had spare gas incase I had to turn around. This is an adventure, not a field trip :D:1drink

I eventually turned around and found the right road.
    At first I was dissapointed as there were a couple rafting vans who turned off onto this dirt highway. I made short work of passing them and put some distance between us so I could pull over for pics withoug getting run over.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Camas flowers in bloom...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I learned about the range wars and about the mining operations that had a significant impact on this countries war efforts.

Made it up to the snow line...
    [​IMG]

I made it through and over the pass. No pics as it was work and I was hot in my gear.

on to the decent. It is Steep and Rocky... I had to keep it slow with the trailer but it was fun anyway...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

From here I went through Lowman... no services. I pushed on to Idaho City for fuel and lunch. If you haven't stopped here you need to and let me just say that 21 is capital letter fun and I just could not stop to take pics.... fun fun fun. I will be doing that route again.

So I am visiting family in the Boise area for a day or three. Not sure where I am headed next but Island Park is in my future...

I was one of the first to make it through another pass. This is fun :thumb
  20. Mr. Fisherman

Oddometer:
    Hi DeWunder... Did you stop and take a look at the wash from the down hill side? I sure wouln't recommend driving a car across it and I hugged the hill side.

Glad you made the loop. It was nice meeting you up there.
    Are you writing a report?
    How was the meet?