BMW R****R Thread

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by ninepeaks9, Nov 28, 2012.

1. Weird Bug

Weird Bug Weird BUG

Oddometer:
    I blew up all kinds of steriotypes when I did have the GS. I rode with my dad (68 years old, long grey beard, odd 1/2 to 3/4 helmet, tatoos - riding for 50+ years - almost all the gear). He rides a HD Sportster 883. We both would go to SBs on occasion. He's 75 now and rides regularly - almost 25,000 on the 883.

I am ATGATT, no tatoos, clean cut. Quite a site.

BTW - he blows up steriotypes for the 883 by riding about 250-400 miles per day with me on our yearly trips (e.g., around Florida, in and about North Carolina, Blood Mountain area).

I have fun with the forum members calling out poseurs and passing more judgement than a gassy cow on a windy day - therefore this post.

I'm certian however, that there are those of you out there that just simply enjoy riding whatever you have.

ka5ysy - that probably gets a lot of laughs - and shuts em up at the same time. I love it. My bro now has my RT and when we are on long trips together I look over with envy when he's sitting back in silence with the cruise control on.

kraven - you go - and you right man! Screw 'um!

phOrk - if you are like me you are simply either looking for a place to stop for a mo, or a destination for a ride - anyplace will do - just a place to go and turn around while you enjoy the in-between.
  2. Weird Bug

Weird Bug Weird BUG

Oddometer:
    Even easier than my GS was - and way easier than the RT!

http://www.jimvonbaden.com/

$25 bucks will save you multiple hundreds each service. Plus, you get to know your bike better - which I feel is a good thing and allows you to catch problems early.
  3. tpulls

tpulls Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been having a hard time finding a used 1200R and this is the best one to come along. Technically there is nothing keeping me from sending my wheels off and having them converted to tubeless. Sure I might spend a couple hundred, but is there any other downside?
  4. Surj

Surj Deadwood Original

Oddometer:
    You won't have an integrated TPS system. That's it.

Honestly, I was a little weirded out by tubes at first, but I ride the piss out of my bike day in, day out, all year long and have had zero issues with the tubes. I will probably convert them at some point to make roadside tire repairs a little easier, and maybe even put in some kind of aftermarket TPS - but it's really not a big deal.
  5. KungPaoDog

KungPaoDog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think I may be a bit like Phork...

2013 V-strom 650 appeals to me a lot. So does a used R1150R. Sorry, but the tank on the R1100R looks too much like a tumor. :D I'm not interested in big power, I just think the R1150R is in the right category for what appeals to me. There are some decent prices on used ones out there.

How is the R1150R for someone who is 6'3" 225lbs?

How is the R1150R for two-up comfort? ( My wife is 5'8")

Any pros/cons to the dual-spark bikes? (2004 up, right?)

I'd prefer ABS, is there any good reason I should avoid it on the R1150R?
  6. beemerjim

beemerjim Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have an'04 r1150r, and an 02 rt

You gotta try one-or at least sit on one. I find my legs a little cramped, and I've got a 30" inseam. Suspension is good.
    I bought the bike used, and don't know if I have the low seat or not.
    My GF likes the passenger seat OK, but for long rides, she much prefers the r1150RT seat. We're old, however, and even that one sucks after 4-5 hours
    Dual spark? makes it much smoother than the single spark RT, but the stick coils are over $100 each. (damhik)

ABS? Personal preference I guess I don't have it and I don't miss it. I rarely used it on the RT, and the pump crapped out. Cost a LOT to fix-the part is $2500

Over all really like the R bike for short trips, commuting, adn hot weather riding, and plan to keep one in the stable. I think it's quite capable 2-up also.

Jim
  7. David R

David R I been called a Nut Job..

Oddometer:

I rode a 2000 RT for 3 years. Next bike is an R because the RT is too tall and too heavy for me.

The R is a whole different animal. Less than 500 lbs wet. Lots of torque. My girlfriend says the RT is more comfortable and has more room. I agree. Just not what I wanted this time around.

I have a 2011 650 Versys for sale. Sweet bike, but I don't need it now that I have the R.

David
  8. Dieselpwr

Dieselpwr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How's the the R over 70mph? I have a F650gs twin that I love, but is brutal on the highway above 70, even with a taller windshield. I've always liked the look of the R bikes, especially the classic, but I feel the highway rides will be just as bad.
  9. Weird Bug

Weird Bug Weird BUG

Oddometer:
    Over 70 makes you feel like 60 is just fine. Funny though that I'm fine with that. The is really fun to ride up to 60 mph and after that it is a bit breezy, but that is what I wanted. I had an RT and at 90 you could go no hands and feel like you were sitting in a convertible car. I want a motorcycle, not a car like feel.
  10. David R

Oddometer:
    Read about windshields for the R bikes. I have the Parabellum Sport shield which is a barn door. Its great till almost 80 then the buffeting can wear on me. I rarely do over 70 so its not a big deal. Looking real close at the Parabellum Scout.

I can ride this bike all day with out being sore. I too had an RT. Not the same. The R is a more sporty, lower, lighter bike with the same motor.

The suspension is similar as the RT. I have never bottomed out my R even with full load and passenger. The brakes are better than my 2000 RT.

Its all a matter of taste.

My R will do 100 mph in 3rd. It doesn't seem to care what gear its in, just crank the throttle and hang on! Lots of usable power.
  11. Patch

Patch Long timer

Oddometer:
    windshields... I've got the Cee Bailey Sport Screen ... like it in fall-spring, still on today. In summer I go back to the stock BMW flyscreen.

Awesome ride today and took a shot in one of the few breaks of sunshine :D
    [​IMG]
    Bluebone likes this.
  12. tpulls

tpulls Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Whelp, I bought an '11 R1200R Classic today with 13K miles. I really like it so far. Good power, awesome brakes and very nimble. A couple things I have noticed on my 150 mile ride home:

Transmission is extremely smooth, but sometimes it can be hard to find 1st from neutral. It's the first bike I've owned that I can put in 1st without any click/clunk whatsoever, interesting. Several times I was sitting at a light and it took 2 or 3 presses on the shifter to get in 1st.

There is a noticeable rumble that carries through the bars a bit when I get around 4.5K + RPM. This is the first R1200 boxer I've ridden so it may just be one of the characteristics. It's so where near as bad as the high frequency buzz I got with my Tiger 1050.

Overall, it seems to be a great machine that I look forward to spending many miles on!
  13. celticus

celticus Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's the best looking Cee Bailey screen I've ever seen.
  14. Patch

Patch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Comes in tinted too... and mounts to the '11 and '12 flyscreen mounts (maybe other years - not sure). Some additional photos on the R forum: www.r1150r.net

I like it, keeps the blast off the chest in winter. For me, same exact wind noise/buffeting as the flyscreen ... no distinct difference, just a bit less fatiguing after a 200+ mile day due to reduced wind-blast. I never had an issue with noise.buffeting - all are loud, too many variables. I simply love the bike and wear ear-plugs over 100 mile days.

Note - I'll be painting my flyscreen black this spring before install and will update when I get off my ass and actually do it. For now - time to ride!

Linky:
    http://www.ceebaileys.com/bmw/bmwr1200rss.html

Front shot on my bike when I got it last summer:
    [​IMG]

Against the flyscreen:
    [​IMG]
  15. Surj

Surj Deadwood Original

Oddometer:
    An alternative take - my bike came with the sport screen, which I replaced with the the same CB screen Patch shows on his bike above. For me (5'10", regular seat height, stock bars/pegs) it was horrible - very bad buffeting at freeway speeds. I took it off after a couple of days. I know other folks who've had good luck with it, though.

I've had a total of four screens on my bike so far, and the stock BMW "touring" screen has been the best mix of a little bit of protection + least buffeting. Quietest/least buffeting was no screen at all, but it was a little tiresome for an hour+ of freeway speeds (80-85 usually) for me. Note: I wear plugs for any ride more than a couple blocks.

If you check out the roadster forum (linked to numerous times in this thread) there's a ton of ongoing discussion/debate/argument about screens. It seems to be extremely specific to individual riders.
  16. David R

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

I have the Parabellum sport shield. I called to order the Scout color matched to my bike. They called back and said I need to send a body part to match the paint or get it painted locally.

The scout is the only stationary shield with laminar flow. Wonderlich only comes with a short screen.

Thinking about it. I have other options.

David
  17. tpulls

tpulls Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a question on adjusting the stock rear suspension. I'd like to stiffen it up a bit. The manual recommends that if the preload is adjusted then the damping should also be adjusted. Is there a rule of thumb for how many turns I should give the damping adjustment screw for each bar of preload I add?

I've read that for each visual 'bar' I adjust the preload you should give the damping screw a full turn. I don't see how this is correct when the manual (2011 R) states the default setting can be achieved by turning the screw toward Hard until it stops, then back it off only 1.5 turns.
  18. beemerjim

beemerjim Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just thought I'd jump in with the windscreen discussion. My 04 came with a MRA Vario screen from twisted throttle. I was just recently able to read the name on the shield, and see found out they're made in Germany, and sold here by twisted throttle (No association) It's a small two piece, adjustable unit, and has a wind channel between the two pieces that shoots air up over my head. (I'm only 5'9" or so, so YMMV). It amazes me how quiet and adjustable this thing is, especially for it's size. I'm curious if anyone else has one?

Jim

19. Weird Bug

Weird Bug Weird BUG

Oddometer:
    While washing the bike today I noticed the front rotors moved slightly when pulled - as if I was trying to rotate it the same direction the wheel turns (as if you were pulling on the edge of a Frisbie). Both of them did it so it makes me think this is normal and may be floating. Does yours?

2011 R1200R
  20. Rapid Dog

Rapid Dog bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer:
    Yep, they are real floating rotors. Suppose to do that...