Insert clever airhead based title here ....

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by planktonnn, Aug 25, 2009.

?

I have been to the county of Fuckshire, it was ...

1. Nice?

43 vote(s)
    14.7%
  2. Nasty?

51 vote(s)
    17.4%
  3. Nasty but nice?

205 vote(s)
    70.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Dirtyboydeadly

Dirtyboydeadly AKA. Shineyboydudley

Oddometer:
    Good luck
  2. Dirtyboydeadly

Oddometer:
    How did the remantaling go?
  3. planktonnn

planktonnn .also, i am a tw@rt

Oddometer:
    Called it a day at around 7.30 as I couldn't see my hand in front of my face. Just got finished getting something to eat & arranging a long stiff drink and some rolling tobacco. Ahhhhhh.

Pretty much got it all back together & ready to go, but frustratingly not quite ready to actually go. But it's probably for the best as I should double check myself and the inmates here at The Place probably would have whined had I started it in the carpark... There's just the valve timing to check and the choke wires to fiddle into their little holes in their little bolts.

[​IMG]

DBD gave me a lift to Daves with his trailer to pick it up, and when I got back I was lucky enough to be offered the 2nd (currently disused) lockable bike shed by Bob the handyman here at The Place. So I set up in there by the bins where I think the bodies get stashed and started by getting the left pot back on. Slid the barrel & head unit onto the studs and reattached the gudgeonwristpin carefully ensuring not to let the retaining circlip ping off across the space, never to be found. Pulled the rocker cover and slotted in the pushrods, then referred to the L & R I'd written on the plastic bags I'd put the rocker assemblies in and slotted them on. Set them up with clamps for endfloat & off I went of the great adventure I shal call 'I used to have a borked thread'. The four retaining bolts went thru/ough the torgue stages and seemed to settle nice & tight so, so far, the helicoil seems to have done what it ought. Found the valve timing mark on the flywheel & got the engine to the correct revolution in the suck/squeeze/bang/blow loop on the left pot. Set the valve clearances by hand, will do them with gauges tomorrow.

I then refitted the clutch, trying to make sure the pressure plate was centred, and sat back before pulling the swing arm pivots & shock mounts and offering up the gearbox. Though I am so tired I could barely lift it I was lucky in that it slid on first time all lined up and bolted on quite happily. Reassembled the clutch actuation mechanism, fitted it & hooked up the (to be replaced) frayed clutch cable so that I could lift the clutch & see if it worked. It did.

Put the arse end back in & connected the drive UJ. Got the UJ gaiter fitted and filled the swingarm & gearbox with new oil as they'd been emptied on disassembly. Er, what did I do next? Ah, fitted the battery carrier & the battery. Getting the terminals tightened was a pain so I whipped off the (fixed) seat pan to give easier access. Once the battery was in, clamped and ventlated I refitted the seat pan and sat back for a moment. You know, like you have to at these moments. For a moment.

Then refitted the airbox & filter. The top cover will have to come off to fit the replacement starter when the parts order arrives (Mon) so I'l fully sort the breather pipe mess then, and identify & order the right replacements. Refitted the left carb in the dark Tried turning the throttle now that both carbs were in place but it stuck half way round. Checked the carb ends of the cable for movement & the butterflies manually opened all the way so whipped off the tank to get at the throttle cable splitter under the tank. The problem did indeed lay there and the hand throttle now worked. Tank back on. New throttle cables are coming in the parts order.

There's a couple of other things to say & some pics to edit/host/post, and various other things to wattle on about, but lets just say I can see the end of the rope and I've nearly reached it so for now I will stop and complete this another time.

Toodle Parp!?!
  4. planktonnn

Oddometer:
    Phase 1 nearly finished & hopefully back on the road tomorrow -

[​IMG]
  5. planktonnn

Oddometer:
  6. planktonnn

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Day three of phase 1 will get started when I've got my brane in place. It's a little like that ball/string/cup game, you know that one where you flip the ball on the string and catch it in the cup? No, I wasn'y Olympic standard at it either, but anyway getting this broken brane going is a bit like trying to flip my 'concious /lucid'* state by the string of reality into the cup of functionality. That and I have to wait for the meds to kick in. Eight or more pills per day.

I can feel the ache in the muscle of my heart. I've not been doing anything overly strenuous and certainly nothing overtly uber physical, but I can feel the organ has been at work. This does not bother me**

The chance to have done yesterdays work under some form of cover*** and to have been able to leave (lock) the bike and tools in there was most welcome. And tho/ough the threatened rain didn't materialise yesterday, it has over night. The bike is mostly together and sealed from internal ingress of the elements so there are no real issues I can be bothered to think up or type about.

<iframe src="//www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/lasWefVUCsI?rel=0" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="360" width="640"></iframe>
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lasWefVUCsI

It's not near as heavy as that clip but you get the idea, no? Anyhow the sun has just broken thru so the afternoon shouldn't be too bad. So I'll be off in 5 to get it ready to run, and then I'll have to take it offsite to test run it as there are something towards 500 people here at The Place, many of whom will not appreciate it. A couple will, but you have to take into account that this is the sort of Place where people come down to reception & complain when the fire alarm goes off... Now granted, it does it everyday somewhere around 18.00 hrs, when someone in one of the many flats here burns their burgers or somesuch. Granted, each room has its own klaxon so when it goes off it's right in your ear and very loud. But it gets switched off pretty pronto, and would you complain about a fire alarm? They're lucky they don't get evacuated each & every bluddy time.

As the above rambling nothing shows I'm really just killing time while my brane flips into its cup... So Assembly Adventure pt 2 begins in

<iframe src="//www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/tt5QEynwjKg?rel=0" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="360" width="640"></iframe>
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tt5QEynwjKg

Blunder-berks are, sort of, GO!?!

* Such as it is.
    ** See flippant 'review' of heart attack, search some time Aug '13. Sorry can't find link as SIM dongle sub dial up connection precludes searches.
    *** Enclosed bike shed, slatted sides so open to the elements at least temperature wise. No light or power, and I must vacate today.

In the spirit of international understanding, and being aware that the vast majority of the readership of this forum is US based (see 1 below), I will provide this handy crib sheet that someone has knocked up -

[​IMG]

I don't have a source of origination so apologies to whoever did it for not being able to credit them. It's not completely accurate, not least because it doesn't include "My Duck" (see 2 below), which a local/regional phrase, and I might suggest the following, par exemple -

• Wanker is idiot, but with an enhanced shade of dismissive 'you touch yourself' disrespect so that it's a bigger insult than idiot.
    • Shambles is mess, but has inherent connotations of incompetency. See 'Piss Up' & 'Brewery' on list 2 which doesn't exist.
    • Sorted is arranged but with a tad of 'Don't worry you ass, it's all in hand'. There is a partial submeaning in 'Yes those druggz will do nicely'.
    • Dogs dinner can be dressed nicely, but is more often derisory as in 'You think you look good in that?!? O-kaaaay-ay.'
    • Made redundant is not fired, it's an adminis-tardative process more akin perhaps to 'Laid off'? Otherwise known as 'Yeah, phuk off now.'
    • Easy peasy is so much more than just easy. It's easy peasy :-D
    • For Scouser see Whinge :lol3
    • Bugger is not jerk, primarily jerk, as in 'You old bugger you, ahhhhh', but it's most often a proclamation of irritation, e.g. 'Bugger, I have stabbed my finger with a slipped Pozidrive'.
    • Bob's your Uncle, I believe derives from this first reference - 'A common explanation is that the phrase dates to 1887, when British Prime Minister Robert Cecil, Lord Salisbury decided to appoint Arthur Balfour to the prestigious and sensitive job of Chief Secretary for Ireland. Lord Salisbury was Arthur Balfour's uncle.' Balfour was, reportedly, an incompetent phuckwit so the phrase has connotations of getting an undeserved shoe in.
    • To throw a spanner into the works implies screwing up on purpose. I am wont to throw a spanner in my own works thru/ough a subtle delicate mix of inveterate stupidity & faulty genes.
    • Daft cow has general misogynistic overtones as it's most often if not exclusively aimed at the female of the species. They are apparently 'More Deadlier Than The Male'.
    • Shambles, they did that one already. This list is a shambles.
    • Off to Bedfordshire is correctly framed, tho/ough it's most often accompanied by a reference to 'Going up the wooden hills', which are, as if you hadn't guessed, the stairs. Phukkin jeenius no?

1 - As shown on this handy stats breakdown http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/advrider.com
    2 - The ducks round here are particularly odd -

Close-up here. Granted it looks more of a swan than a duck, but that's what ducks look like round here, they've got their won special breed as with so many other species hereabouts. I believe they work as follows?, and they sure drink piss as that's what they always smelt of... -

[​IMG]

http://www.history.com/news/history-lists/files/2014/10/digesting-duck.jpg

Just wasting time until my head works. Better get to it.
  7. planktonnn

Oddometer:
    Well, the short version is that it's running, but the throttle stuck open at 1000mph during my standard 'Test It To Destruction' first ride. I've said it before but I do tend to lean towards this kind of test ride because if it's going to go wrong it may as well go wrong in a big way :lol3

Firstly, to cover a couple of things I didn't get around to mentioning last night -

• You know that whole thing about wedging the front end of the generator rotor so that when you take off the flywheel the crank doesn't shift forwards and the rear crank shims don't therefore fall out? Yeah that. Well for the first time in all of the rear main seals they've done (a lot) this happened when Dave was doing the seal. Yes, if sh!tz gon' happen in association with anyone then said sh!tz gon' happenstance in association with me... :deal
    Dave said he knew of it but had never had it happen, so he had to pull the other jug off to resolve it. The time taken to do this didn't seem to be reflected in the bill. That's why they deserve things like a Halloween Bonus n stuff.

In the meantime, this is how movies get made. Nice and detailed rather than the usual 'Making Of' tittle-toshle* -

<iframe src="//www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/0TNjpb8O5LY?rel=0" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="360" width="480"></iframe>
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TNjpb8O5LY

P2 @ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkQvQEv_FRg

• Doing this work is a good thing, and the aim of re-energising myself is happening. It's hard work and very straining, both in a physical sense and also, perhaps moreso, in the stress/mental load/anxiety thing. But I was thinking today as I sat there having a post test rollup - the fact that when I encounter a problem there is (because of the support which has occurred as part of the crowdfunding thing) a solution. The throttle cable business, well I'd be sitting their pissed off thinking "Sheesh, when it rains (see 1st vid in 5806) it PHUKKING POURS". But instead I thought 'The new ones will be here tomorrow'. The answer is in solving things, thus the memorandum title 'Solvation'.
    • The return to the work market must be sequenced & progressive as I relearn how to get things done & monitor my physical (post heart attack) & mental 'red line/rev limit'. Phased return will ensure sustainability.
    And so anyway, today. The left valve timing had been set by feel last night and turned out to be pretty much ok by the feeler gauges so that got nipped up. The rocker cover went on with a used gasket, so I expected a weep from there, and indeed I subsequently got one. But there's a new gasket coming tomorrow... I didn't know if Dave had maintained the valve timing on the right hand side when he'd had to pull it off, but I couldn't see any way that he wouldn't have. Certainly as I was rotating the engine to find the correct stroke & the timing mark there's been no blockages of the valve/piston bang bang interface variety so... Without wanting to make The Great Din, once I'd got the engine timed and pretty much together I gulped and turned the key, took a long stretch, and then prodded the starter. I just wanted to see if it's turning over ok, I don't want it to start. It won't any way as I'd left out the spark plugs... Now of course you know this is the kind of thing I'd do due to being a mechanical twat. But, I was just running it round to get a bit of oil re-primed into the system before giving it a real go. See, only mostly an idiot. It's progression of a sort.

Er. Then I attached the carb ends of the choke (wire type) cables and all seemed ready.

Now, here, this -

<iframe src="//www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/hfMtYvFRBbc?rel=0" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="360" width="480"></iframe>
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfMtYvFRBbc

I sat a short while, long enough to have a cup of (milkless/sweet) tea if I dun had one to be drinking of, and got the bike down off the paddock stands and out of the borrowed bike shed. I locked up behind me & popped inside for coat/gloves/helmet and pushed the bike to the main gate and straddled it. If I was going to make noise I was going to make it offsite, you know? First time, the bike bit, but sounded really lumpy. Not bang lumpy, just out of sync. I reached down and checked the butterfly/cable area on each side and sure enough the right butterfly arm was sitting high causing the sides to run out of sync, so this is when I discovered the throttle stickage-idity I mentioned earlier, or later, depending how I edit this.

The 5 mile test ride got the engine nicely up to temp, and the whole clutch/gearbox/UJ/cardan shaft/zoooom thing all seemed to be working properly. At one point I wondered if the clutch was slipping? But that whole 'pulling up and holding the brakes while I let the clutch out until it stalled' stuff disproved that. At one point the charging circuit seemed to be stable & working so I can't help but feel that, beyond the reg/rec issues, there must be something grimelin-ish in the wiring going on too. So tomorrow I will be fitting spare parts once they come, oh, and dealing with a governmental contractor Snafu that threatens to leave me without income & subsequently without a home.

I am tired now, you may leave me >back of hand to forehead/whispering sigh<

So in conclusion - The End

* As an aside, I used to enjoy the TV prog 'How It's Made', and emailed them to suggest that they make a prog entitled "How 'How It's Made' Is Made".

I will probably notice errors later or things to add, so there may be some editing going on down. Edit - And so I did so.
  8. planktonnn

Oddometer:
    Oh, and as well as the benefits to my morale discussed in the last post, I've applied for a transfer from The Place to a village up near Silverstone. That'd be nice, and it places me better for both my sanity and the work markets in that place they call Milton Keynes and within reach of the major business park/technical college developments currently under way at Silverstone. I won't get it as the numbers are against me but it'd sure be nice.

Being mobile on a reliable bike is part of the prerequisites for the changes I'd like to see, and this reliable/mobile part at least is coming together due to the stunningly kind support shown to my electro begging. So for this reason if no other - Thank you :1drink
  9. planktonnn

Oddometer:
    Waiting for the delivery, so in the meantime -

Now I don't believe in anything except that peeple need to believe things. The dichotomy of course is that this itself constitutes a belief structure, however I get round this by not having fixed principles in the belief structure. But still, the one simple tenet itself is enough to create the inherent paradox.

So naturally I don't have a constructed or adopted literal belief in curses, but one could say that "it's almost as tho/ough I were cursed" without violating the Believe Nothing Principle. Almost as tho/ough. That is to say that if such things as curse states were to exist (they don't) then the form they would take would be the one that events are taking.

As I've described before, it's like standing on the edge with my back towards a cliff drop, taking one step forward & two back...

At the start of October ATOS, the (deservedly) much maligned* external contract provider for Governmental health assessments has apparently sent me a 20+ page questionnaire as part of a review for my Employment Support Allowance benefit. What in the US might be referred to, at least on Judge Judy, as Disability? Here in the Former United Commonwealth Kingdoms it's what used to be called Incapacity Benefit. They sent the form to the wrong address even after being corrected three times.

Let me say at this point that I support the benefits system, and have previously supported it by making huge weekly payments for years into a National Insurance system which I believe formed a contract between me & government, that if I was ever in need of drawing on what is for all intents & purposes an insurance contract, and my needs/circumstance fell within the bounds of said contract (i.e. the law), then I'd be able to make a claim on said insurance policy. Additionally, I am quite aware that there is a reactionary & ill informed media frenzy fuelled view that sordidly & distortedly paints all benefits claimants as fraudulent scroungers. But lets just look at the numbers - investigate for yourselves just what paltry percentages of government spending are made up by benefits; see that the largest spend item within that sum is pensions; then find out the teansy weensy figure of the benefit budget that is 'benefit fraud'.

In the meantime I'll put things into perspective by telling you that if you took the F.U.C.K. bank bailout cash & distributed it direct to the public then each and every one of the population here would receive around 50 Grand... So tell me where the large scale institutional fraud is again?

Anyhoo they have written to me to tell me that as I have not returned the (un-received) form my benefit will be cut off in two days, quite probably leading to losing my 'home' & living in the woods again. The central & salient point is that I have never received a form with which to be doing the being late with, because they sent it care of the local Health Authority rather than to the address I have given them three times. Why do I phukking bother?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But, as you can see the parts have just arrived so you know where I'll be...

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="//www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/QCSbucdVEkg?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCSbucdVEkg

* E.g. here, here, here, here & here & here.
  10. chollo9

chollo9 Screwed the Pooch

Oddometer:
    Insurance companies/Governments collect money freely, promising much in the way of payouts when needed. But when the time comes to claim said money? My how things suddenly get complicated!

It's unfortunate that the woods are so cold and wet. I think they might be a better place to live.
  11. planktonnn

Oddometer:
    Well yes. I am both opposed to & deeply disgusted by any business/government that takes your money & then uses it to construct an organisation whose main if not sole function is to say 'No' to you.

I don't mind it in the woods, and it won't be so cold when the bike catches fire... (See next post).
  12. Dirtyboydeadly

Oddometer:
    Waiting
  13. planktonnn

Oddometer:
    Sh!t sh!t sh!t sh!t sh!t sh!t sh!t. I phukked it up. Sh!t.

I told you everything was going too well. I just phukking knew it.

In the process of swapping out the starter motor I seem to have snagged a couple of (somewhat tired) wires seemingly going into the starter relay and they've pulled out, accompanied by a bit of a spark. I have no idea where they go back into, and to get them into the block connector is going to be a real pain. I have another old loom I can cannibalise but this section is knackered on that one too so altho/ough it may give me some crimp connectors to steal it doesn't give me any clues as to what goes where. Phukk.

They are the thick red & thin red wires that go into the bottom of the relay mounting block as shown in the following -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What goes where? The wiring diagram above seems to show the heavy red going to 87a (centre node?) and the other connecting to 87 (bottom centre node in this pic?), but actually which is what & where is which? Or am I totally off the plot and they go somewhere else. Really hit a brick wall on this one.

To give some orientation, the pic shows the relay block rolled forward with my thumb at the mounting hole, so you're looking at the bottom of the relay as it were. My guess is (as numbered on the bottom of the relay) is centre left (obscured) seems to be blue/yellow-86?, centre right conjoined pair-85?, top centre black-30? So I'm guessing the heavy red goes to the central node and the thinner red joins into centre bottom? Both the last two are numbered 87 on the relay I'm looking at, but there's no 'a' to be seen...

Things are slightly complicated by the fact that I have no mains power to the space I'm working in so no light and nowhere to plug in a soldering iron...

Sh!t sh!t sh!t sh!t sh!t sh!t sh!t. The bike is currently dead until I sort this. I just knew it was going too well... Phukk :baldy
  14. Dirtyboydeadly

Oddometer:
  15. Dirtyboydeadly

Oddometer:
    Also[​IMG]
  16. Dirtyboydeadly

Oddometer:
  17. Dirtyboydeadly

Oddometer:
    U want me to come get u and bike and fix up tonight
  18. planktonnn

Oddometer:
    Well that'd work for me but isn't it a bit late and kind of an imposition on you?
  19. Dirtyboydeadly

Oddometer:
    Its not that late and I'm sure it won't take to long
  20. planktonnn

Oddometer:
    Quite stunningly DBD came over 8pm-ish and trailered this recalcitrant mutha phukka of a bike over to his man cave (about 5 miles away) for us to work out what goes where & for him to fit connectors & charge it. The battery still wouldn't start the bike (clickety clickety) so we jumped it off a standing battery for a moment and it turned over. After a bit more charging it was reluctant to bump start so we jumped it again but by now the standing battery was drained and it wouldn't start so we jumped it off his car and I got the hell out of Dodge before I p!ssed off his neighbours too much.

I rode it back to town and it was sweet as a nut running minus half the air box, the filter & top cover, front cover and other bit's I'd had off it in my 'What the phukking phuk' rage. I stopped it when I got back here and pressed the starter - clickety clickety. There's got to be something fundamentally wrong with the electrics as even though it's not charging properly when en-route the on board battery had a little whack left in it but it's just clickety clickety, clickety clickety. I think it's got to be draining off somewhere but that wiring loom is shot.

I have the battery out & on charge now and I only stabbed myself & bled all over the bike once, but tomorrow is about getting it back together (again) and finding out where the electricity is going...

I'm really angry that this problem has happened, and because it ought to be expected to happen (or something similar) I'm really angry at myself for my calamitous reaction to it. It really hit me harder than it ought. I guess part of it is that I've stayed working in the (kindly loaned) bike shed here at The Place for longer than I planned & I'm feeling I've overstayed my welcome, but also this unreliability/delay is causing me to let down a friend I'm painting a fence/gate/shed for as he's not able to get to do it and that doesn't sit well with me. But I guess I'm also sad that my marriage didn't work out (I phukked it up) and that I've let my kids down (and do each day), and just slightly that I lost my shed in that process...

DBD dives in way above & beyond the call of duty and unshizzles my sh!t -

[​IMG]

I think at this point he was larfing at what a twat I am :1drink

[​IMG]

If so, he wouldn't be wrong...