Favorite Premix Oil and Ratio

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by craydds, Mar 26, 2013.

1. AtomicGeo

AtomicGeo a lo macho

Oddometer:

I was down there (Hatch/TorC) just last month...thaw is over so time to ride the north.
  2. Mr. Carts

Mr. Carts Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So do I use Blendzall Green in my IT490 at 20:1 like the manual says?

At $56 per gallon for oil and permium gas at $4.35 mixed 20:1 with Blendzall will be $7.15 per gallon.
  3. Scootern29

Scootern29 Long timer

Oddometer:
    :roflThis thread could go maybe 6-7 pages or more.
  4. caryder

caryder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No, use Yamalube at about 60% of the cost. And as said before, don't use injector oil in premix.

Chuck
  5. AWM

AWM Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer:
    Klotz,R50 50:1,05 200EXC
    Same for the 07 XCW,:1drink,maybe this will make it 4 pages more im guess.:lol3
    I ran the same in the last KDX,and even the kids JR50,and DS80.
    Ive had good luck with Klotz,little better gas milige,and less smoke then Amsoil.Just what i have found anyway.
  6. craydds

craydds Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's what I'm sayin'. Makes riding my KLX with straight gas seem really cheap. If we could run 40:1 it would cut the cost of the oil by half. Guess it's going to cost big $$ for premix to get that big POWER RUSH from riding a big-bore 2-stroke. Speed costs... how fast do you want to go?
  7. craydds

craydds Long timer

Oddometer:
    That Klotz R50 sounds like good oil from reading the info from Klotz. The Klotz Super TechiPlate has 20% bean oil blended in so it sounds like good stuff based upon the information provided by CharlieT.
  8. craydds

craydds Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oil threads. Gotta luv 'em. Next up... TIRE THREAD!!! :clap
  9. craydds

craydds Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks to all the contributors. I definitely appreciate all the good information. It has been most helpful.
    Next question: How long does premix last? Can I mix up 5 gal. (not that I would) and keep it for several months, or is it like plain ol' gasoline, goes "stale" after awhile? Actually, my plan is to mix up 2 gal. at a specific ratio and test it in the bike, then try another mix and test it, etc. If I don't burn up 2 gal. of premix, how long can I leave it in the gas tank without it going "bad"?
  10. Tim McKittrick

Tim McKittrick Long timer

Oddometer:
    The article below is fairly illuminating- I especially like the section on oil migration time, as that better explains the need for higher mix ratios on engines that are turning higher constant RPM.

My premix machines have always been run at about 30:1.... With varying oils and fuels, so I'm not going to make any recommendations as the actual need for a given engine will vary depending on usage.

http://www.klemmvintage.com/oils.htm
  11. craydds

craydds Long timer

Oddometer:
  12. dancy

dancy Undescended Testicle

Oddometer:
    Yamalube 2S, 40:1
  13. craydds

craydds Long timer

Oddometer:
    After reading this article by Jennings - http://www.bridgestonemotorcycle.com/documents/oilpremix6.pdf - I guess that my Yamaha service manual assumes the use of castor bean oil (it is not specific), and therefore recommends the 20:1 ratio.
    edit: It does state something to the effect that one must use up the premix, that it is no good after a day or so; so I assume they are talking about bean oil.
  14. craydds

craydds Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am slowly learning; the Yamalube 2S is for oil injection. What bike do you have; oil injection or do you use premix? The Yamalube 2-R is made for premix.
  15. Mr. Carts

Mr. Carts Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    1981 Yamaha IT465 manual says Yamalube R at 16:1 Castor at 20:1.

Is the latest Yamalube R made for aircooled?
  16. craydds

craydds Long timer

Oddometer:
    Interesting, I will check into that. I know that Bel-Ray MC-1 says it's for air-cooled motors, pre-mix only.
  17. craydds

craydds Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, I bought some Klotz --- http://www.klotzlube.com/techsheet.asp?ID=44&submit2=View .
    In anticipation of getting the bike running I will give it a try. Cart before the horse you say?
    My question is, how long will a batch of this premix last? Do I have to use it up right away? Guess I can mix up a gallon, burn it up, and mix up another. Will call Klotz and get the straight skinny.
  18. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I mix it up fresh by the ride. And do my best to use it up. Race fuel has additives that allow some limited shelf life. But exposure to air causes the lead to oxidize reducing octane rating after a week or so. I drain the extra and toss it in the closest yard implement after the next weekend if I don't use it.
  19. CharlieT

CharlieT old school

Oddometer:

Excellent choice! Couldn't have mixed up a better batch myself.:D
    Notice their recommended mix ratios, too.

Mix up what you think you will use up that day. If you are running race fuel, high octane fuel, store it in a metal gas can. Plastic gas cans can breath, allowing the more volatile compounds to escape, degrading your expensive fuel.

Liked that oil deposition bit in that one link above. That's basically the same concept as to what I was referring to as contact time.
  20. craydds

craydds Long timer

Oddometer:
    I spoke with a technician at Klotz:
    1. I asked if it was okay to mix Super TechniPlate to gasoline with Stabil additive; he said "No problem".
    So gas-plus-Stabil is okay to use with the Klotz.
    2. I asked about the "shelf-life" of this specific premix, he basically said no worries, it can last a few weeks if stored properly (sealed can, protected from temp. extremes, etc.). Anyway, it is likely that I will only mix up 1 or 2 gallons at a time. No need to mix up 5 gal. and store it.