The 650 Dakar Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by underwaterguru, Mar 10, 2009.

1. underwaterguru

underwaterguru Moto shop Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just starting a new one. Just Bmw 650 Dakar's please. I have a stock (not for long) 06. Post your questions, pictures, tech, etc. Here is mine, looking for a great centerstand and a better windshield. One that is more straight up and down like the black 3 hole on the 04. Got any suggestions. Thanks Steve

[​IMG]
  2. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Steve,
    Here's my '07 from this past season's trip to Deals Gap. I installed the WUNDERLICH tall windscreen for GS's with handguards. It's ok.....but does meet your criteria of being fer more upright. I found it was more like a barn door at blocking the wind. It did create a nice area of somewhat turbulence free air, however I found the new air currents created a slapping sound/feeling on the back of my helmet (after 2000kms you get used to leaning forward :rofl ). Also, I'm 5'11" and seem to be looking through the top 4 inches of the screen which slightly distorts my image of the road. It still gives me the willies entering some corners:rofl . Anyhow...install was easy with some minor "adjusting" of all the mounting screws. Build quality is top knotch. From what I've read, most guys go through 2-3 windscreens before finding the right one. I think I'm going to try the Ermax +15 next. If you're interested in more pics of the wunderlich, try the following;

http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=WA&Product_Code=8110063-077&Category_Code=F650GSDAKAR-C

Right now I'm looking for exhaust slip-ons that will work with the Caribou Luggage system. From what Roger has advised Staintune and 2Bros. may be the only game in town for me. Good luck with the screen....as for the centrestand.....Touratech or SW Motech (best sourced from Twisted Throttle) both make decent versions specific for the Dakar. My Touratech is going on next week! :clap

Attached Files:

3. HeadinSouth

HeadinSouth Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Mine:
    [​IMG]

Remus Exhaust
    MT21s
    Touratech/Unifilter Airfilter
    Clear Alternative signals

Wayyyyy nicer than Rylan's :)
  4. RyLaN

RyLaN 14 F800 GSA

Oddometer:
    '05, bought it new and have just over 20000km on her.
    A few things that I've done are... stiffer front fork springs, Acerbis hand guards, Rox 2" risers, steel braided front brake line, fairing crash guards, Touratech skid plate, PIAA 510 super white driving lights, Happy-Trails panniers, 15t front sprocket, the last thing I did was put on a KTM front fender because of the spray I get off road, I didn't want to go with the extension for the stock fender and this was a cheaper way, I have yet to go riding in the mud:D .
    Thing's on the way... Pivot Pegs, steel braided rear brake line, short shifter (folding) and folding brake lever, I also want to put on an aftermarket rear suspension but that's a grand and I don't need it yet:wink: .
    I have been all over the lower half of B.C. and want to go farther, but it takes time and money for that, so not yet, hope to get more distance in this summer.
    The windscreen is the stock one and all I did was go to Rona and get some rubber grommets (washers) in the plumbing section and longer bolts so I could raise the screen on the back two screws leaving the lower two screws the same length, :huh , if that makes sense... now the screen sits on a greater angle, all I have to do is find a laminar lip to attach to the top to make it longer, hope it works.
    Here are some pics...

Attached Files:

5. RyLaN

RyLaN 14 F800 GSA

Oddometer:
    KTM fender 1

Attached Files:

6. RyLaN

RyLaN 14 F800 GSA

Oddometer:
    KTM fender 2

Attached Files:

7. RyLaN

RyLaN 14 F800 GSA

Oddometer:
    KTM fender 3

Attached Files:

8. bacon

bacon KZ5TLP

Oddometer:
    This is mine

Attached Files:

VegasDesertRat and PHXKLR like this.
  9. LE Trainer

LE Trainer Bad Buddhist

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  10. underwaterguru

underwaterguru Moto shop Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Love all the posts and pics. I am going to experiment with the washers. I am 5'7" and can see over the stock screen but it is not blocking any wind. Love the KTM fender, not enough rain out here in the desert of western colorado to need it, but it look good.
  11. Fauster

Fauster BACON AKBAR!

Oddometer:
    Nice picture from Bear Run. But didn't you have a few more similar pictures to choose from? :augie
  12. LE Trainer

LE Trainer Bad Buddhist

Oddometer:
    Only about 8, if anyone is counting.:baldy
  13. Trophy1298

Trophy1298 Vicarious Cowboy

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Have a huge windsheild that actually attaches to the bars. It is great for cold weather. I'll see what it is when I get back to you.
    ZanderMan and PHXKLR like this.
  14. notmybikemodelname

notmybikemodelname KOTW is a myth!

Oddometer:
    Here's mine:

2006 Dakar
    Excel rims
    D606's
    Protaper bars
    Custom carbon fiber fairing
    Custom carbon fiber tail fairing
    Yamaha YZ426 front suspension
    Threw ABS in trash can
    Lowered battery into ABS tray to lower the CG
    Stripped down and weighed at 338lbs dry

[​IMG]

It's on it's way to this. The blue section behind the seat will be another 2.6g's of fuel. I have lowered the oil reservoir two inches and moved it insidde the frame. I'm building a new carbon fiber lower profile airbox and will add a 3/4g fresh water tank (drinking water) under the front blue section. The last touches will be either a WP or Ohlin's rear shock with 300mm of travel mounted to a custom aluminum sub-frame. Then bore to around 690cc's, port and polish.

Needless to say, mine spends about 90% of it's life in the deserts of Cali or Baja.

[​IMG]
  15. mcgiggle

mcgiggle Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well chuffed you started this thread, i'm prepping the wife's GS for our trip and have ordered a pair of Excel rims, the rear is 18 inch and I read somewhere else that the Dakar has a lomger swinger so found one on a forum, it was delivered yesterday and is exactly the the same as her GS :cry
    So i'll just increase the thread length on the chain adjusters and keep the OE one.
    Have any of you guys fitted ail bars and kept the heated grips ?
    I have a million other questiioms but i'll save them for later !
    [​IMG]

Cheers

Pete
    http://www.curryhunt.co.uk
    ZanderMan likes this.
  16. Bigem

Bigem Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here's my 03 on its last big trip before I sold it.

[​IMG]

And here's its replacement on its last big trip 4 weeks ago

[​IMG]
    Utah Bones and PHXKLR like this.
  17. GSBS

GSBS FunHog

Oddometer:
    ...@ ~ 35K miles. Now at 53,xxx and getting better all the time. Best motorcycle I've owned. Will do a bit of everything and travels well.

In over 50K miles the only non-scheduled maintenance issues I've had are fork seals at 25K miles and steering head bearings at 35K miles).

[​IMG]

Last Month (camping setup):

[​IMG]

Last Winter (with new Dunlop 606s):

[​IMG]

Mods:

center stand (big help for service)
    TT footpeg relocation kit (big difference)
    Fastway footpegs (sure-footed)
    TT rear rack (handy)
    TT chain and rear brake guard (POS)
    TT chain guide (for peace of mind)
    TT handguard spoilers (great in winter)
    Ohlins rear shock (transformed the bike!)
    TT progressive springs and 10 wt fork oil (significant difference)
    neoprene fork dust guards (haven't had to change seals again)
    BMW dark-tinted windscreen (I like the look better than clear / easier to keep clean)
    BMW solo seat (compartment holds a ton of stuff - compressor, tire tools, spare levers, cables, etc.)
    clear turn signal lenses (cause I like the way they look)
    Brake! LED strobing brake light bulb (for peace of mind in traffic)
    DID x-ring chain (I'm averaging 21K miles per chain)
    homemade countershaft sprocket guard (better than anything else I've seen - thanks Trout!)
    Jesses (hold a ton - still have small profile compared to other bags)
    BMW tail bag (cavernous, waterproof)
    Wolfman tail bag (great for day trips)

I've been running mostly Mefo Explorers on mine and really like them as an all-around tire. Averaging 7-8K miles rear and 15K miles front. Hard to get though, so I usually have a set ahead ready in the garage. For muddy conditions, I liked the Dunlop 606s (third photo) but they don't last and can't compare with the Mefos on road. I did have the Wolfman Denali tank bag, but for me it was just too damned big and got in the way. I'm just not a tank bag guy though.
  18. Bigem

Bigem Long timer

Oddometer:
    I did the steering head bearings on my Dakar at 27K. I am hoping I get the same run out of the F8 as I had with the Dakar, they are an awesome motorcycle. They look the goods with 606s on them but I found the rears wore out in 4K. I ended up running D605s on the front and K60 Heidenau's(140/17) on the rear and had great grip and awesome mileage out of them. Awesome bike.
  19. bacon

bacon KZ5TLP

Oddometer:
    GSBS

That is one great looking bike especially for that mileage.
    one question for you in your mods list you have.
    "TT chain and rear brake guard (POS)" Why do you say that.

Thanks
    Tim
  20. notmybikemodelname

notmybikemodelname KOTW is a myth!

Oddometer:
    I have Protaper fat bars with 45mm risers on my bike and kept the heated grips. Takes a little machining work on the end of the bars but completley do-able.