The 1988-2008 Husaberg Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by brucifer, Nov 27, 2010.

1. Blakebird

Blakebird r - u - n - n - o - f - t

Oddometer:
    yep, but not by much.

JGT price is $199.62 less 5% is a buck and change more than the Clarke website price. Not worth fiddling with, I've bought many tanks from JGT.

The bike I was looking at is in exceptional condition, but it's also 1200 miles away and I'd prefer to find something either a bit closer, or exactly what I want (clean carb'd TE610)
  2. Huskyfatman

Huskyfatman Stinky Wizzleteats

Oddometer:
    Not to sound pushy, but Rick Bozarth is responsible for getting Clark to produce the oversized tank by placing the required large initial order. He might charge a few bucks more, but deservs Husaberg owners support for promoting the brand before the new models were so well accepted IMO.
    http://www.offroadboss.com/

If you're looking for a TE610, I think a hard edge Berg might disapoint you for street duty. I choose to ride my old '97 ATK over my Berg if there's going to be much highway travel. Just sayin'!
  3. crankshaft

crankshaft Guns are for pussies

Oddometer:
    I have an LED helmet light that works great but nothing compares to that 8" round HID at 100 mph (yet).
  4. wallache

wallache Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It takes about 700 mL without a filter change, and right at 1 liter with filter change.

Appearently a Yuasa CTZ7S is a direct drop in with about 50% more CCA.
  5. Huskyfatman

Oddometer:
    Which battery did you use and how do you like it? My original is still working fine in my '05 believe it or not.
  6. Hair

Hair I am on my way.

Oddometer:
    I think there is one main point that often gets over looked. Is how dealers really supported the Husaberg line. I can think of three of them whom I have had the pleasure of dealing with. Rick is one of the three. The other two are Fritz in Gunnison and Dan in Northern Cal. All three of these guys have gone above and beyond for me more than once. And who could forget Rick's big ride on that 650 a few years back. Berg dealers live and breath the brand.
  7. Huskyfatman

Oddometer:
    My local dealer is great for KTM's, but didn't know much about my leftover "Euro" model 650 when I bought it. I called Dan at Motoxotica and he knew all about my wierd 650 and sent me the proper jets for my carb and treated me like I had bought the bike from him. Too bad he's not a Berg dealer anymore. I'll still buy all my Husky and ATK parts from him and get my Berg stuff from Rick.:clap

Hey Hair, weren't you the guinea pig for the Trail Tech KTM stators use in Husabergs? Did you float the ground?
  8. brucifer

brucifer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Went for a little ride today. It was wet and sloppy and slimy. It was around 55-60 degrees with a gentle southern breeze and no rain. Awesome.
    Here's the big, bad 650 with my buddy Brian and his Husky WR 2-fiddy.

[​IMG]
  9. yellowbronco

yellowbronco Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm going to throw in what I know about these bikes just to increase the knowledge base a little.

For all years of Husaberg from 1989 to 2008, they used only 2 different styles of engine mounting. The more common style was for the pre 2001 non-electric start bikes. This motor mounting style was the same as all of the 2001 to 2008 engines. This means that any '01 to '08 engine will bolt into any frame unless it's an e-start frame prior to 2001. This also means that the early non-e-start engines will bolt into the newer frames.

Then there is the second style of engine mounting - the early e-start bikes. They had the starter on the front of the engine down by the front engine mount which necessitated a different design.

How do I know this?

I had a 2000 FX600E and got in a head-on collision with it. The frame was bent at the steering head so I purchased a 2003 frame off of ebay. The engine wouldn't fit because of the e-starter so I sold the engine. I also had a '95 FE501 non-e-start bike and it looked like the engine would bolt right in. It did and I was rewarded with a great handling and super lightweight 500 cc thumper.

Then, the transmission locked up on the 501 and I found what I think is a '97 vintage FC600 engine on craigslist. That engine also bolted right in and I now have a bike that's just as light but even faster! I'm currently setting up a Keihin FCR 40 for it and am super encouraged by the results.

Also, having owned several KTMs during all this time, I must mention that the rear wheels of all husabergs from 2000 to 2008 (not sure about the early bikes or the 70 degree bikes) will swap with KTM's of the same years. This is nice because the 'Bergs had the chain on the opposite side compared to the KTM's and if you're blessed enough to have one of each, you can swap wheels between the two bikes to maximize the tire life. Run a tire on the 'Berg for a while until it starts to wear, flip it around, and run it on the KTM with fresh edges.
    shrubitup likes this.
  10. dentvet

dentvet Long timer

Oddometer:
    cool i'd like a frankenberg. the ktm rear wheels are the same from 1993 until now.

how does a husaberg 6 speed spread compare to a rfs or husky te tranny?
  11. makazica

makazica Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  12. wallache

Oddometer:
  13. yellowbronco

yellowbronco Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There were at least 2 different gear sets and maybe even 3.

My 501 engine is an FE with the wide ratio tranny and it's definitely got a super low first and a screaming fast 6th. Personally, I find it to be a bit gappy but I'm used to a KTM 250SXF 6-speed which needs a ton of clutch in technical riding because of the tall first and only tops out at 70 to 75 with my current gearing (13/48).

The 600 engine is from an FC which is the motocross bike. It's got the close ratio 6 speed and, with my current 13/42 gearing, has a really good spread. First is fairly nice for technical riding without being a creeper gear and 6th is probably good for about 90.

In the early bikes, some of the FC motocrossers came with a 4 speed. Needless to say, I was thrilled to find that mine had the 6 speed.

The FX bikes may have had yet another transmission but I'm not interested in doing that research at the moment. If anyone needs actual ratios, I recall seeing them somewhere at the husaberg.org websight.

Tom
  14. Huskyfatman

Oddometer:
    I think the RFS has three ratios as well (plus the 4spd in the SX), the MXC was closer than the EXC six speeds and the more recent dual sports were/are even wider. The Husky is the widest of all three.
  15. JossaXR

JossaXR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  16. wallache

Oddometer:
  17. brucifer

brucifer Long timer

Oddometer:
    :lol3 That bike's CLEAN isn't it?
  18. crankshaft

Oddometer:
    Sorry for the delay, missed your post. I've got a Turn Tech from KTM parts.
  19. crankshaft

Oddometer:
    My 550 has the same hours on it and is just as clean:lol3 The funny thing is that I'm probably selling it now.... Getting a new Berg for Baja next year, so if anyone wants a super clean 550 for cheap, let me know:deal Oh, a titled 550 Berg:lol3
  20. JossaXR

JossaXR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought it in this shape. Want look like this for long:rofl