Baja tracks from Canon de Guadelupe to San Felipe?

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Mexico, Central & South America' started by trampaslake, Jan 28, 2011.

1. trampaslake

trampaslake Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Howdy all,

Planning a Baja trip for summer and was looking at going to Canon de Guadelupe first. Then wanted to go on south to San Felipe, without going back through Mexicali.

I've read quite a few reports of people doing this but most say they got lost and it took much longer than they had planned.

Anybody got any tracks that show the way?

Thanks in advance.
  2. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    Sorry, no tracks. However, I have gotten lost out there and I'll try to use a map image and google earth image to tell you how to get there. If you look at those images, you really shouldn't have a problem.

Getting to Guadalupe Canyon is on all the maps. Basically, head west out of Mexicali on the road to Tecate. There is a left turn lane on the hwy on the western edge of Laguna Salada. Take that. If you start riding up the mountains, you went to far. Last time I was there, there were signs. Leaving Guadalupe is where it is mildly tricky

Here's the Bicimapas map image
    [​IMG]

Here's the corresponding Google earth image
    [​IMG]

Follow the roads on the map out onto the dry lakebed (Laguna Salada). There will be tracks running along the western edge and take those - you'll be traveling in a southeasterly direction. Then you aim for the southern edge of the hills in the picture where the dry lakebed hits highway 5 (watch out for the silt filled ruts within a mile of the highway). The tracks will lead you there but those hills on the eastern side of Laguna Salada will give you a good visual clue as to where you are.

After that, I've just slabbed it into town. It's still a fair ways on pavement. There are some turnoffs but I've always been heading farther south and was pressed for time so didn't do those.

Hope that helps. I'll be riding that way in March myself.
  3. trampaslake

trampaslake Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks bunches!