L.A.-Barstow to Vegas LAB2V 2013 30th Y E A R

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest & whatever' started by RAZR, Aug 14, 2013.

1. rsks

rsks Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I got a question. It's my first time doing this ride and I want to run my trials rear tire MT43. I was checking out pictures and it seems as if there are a lot of people running these tires. How does it perform in the sand? What pressure are people running for such high speeds and distances?
  2. Off Limits

Off Limits Banned

Oddometer:

It's really no different than riding in the desert any other time. Most desert riders use knobby tires. Some people are different and use trials tires, but I don't recommend it.
  3. rsks

rsks Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've only run my trials tire in technical trails, never high speed bombs in the desert. I usually run 7 psi and I would think that at speed and slamming into whoops, g-outs, rocks would pinch the tube in no time even with a UHD tube.
  4. Off Limits

Off Limits Banned

Oddometer:
    Knobby tire, preferably hard terrain, hard carcass, 17 psi. It's. no fun getting a flat.
  5. Yellowjacket

Yellowjacket Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You'll see a lot of trials tires on LA-B-to-V. Run 7 lbs. of pressure and you'll be fine. Don't run more than 7 lbs. or you'll ruin the effect of the trials tires.

Use Bridgestone Ultra Heavy Duty Tubes front and back or you'll be sorry! You don't want to get a flat tire on this ride.

The good riders don't seem to have a problem in the sand with this tire.
  6. RAZR

RAZR u may run the risks my friend but I do the cutting

Oddometer:
    run knobbies. a friend that swears by MT43 admitted that knobbies are better in the sand.

and the MT43 is not good downhill. and there are a lot of loose downhill sections.

but if you do run this tire, run it around 6-8 lbs psi with heavy duty tubes. as far as I've heard, Bridgestone is no longer making motorcycle tubes. there's a new brand STI that seems to be good so far. but there thickness rating system is off....
    their heavy duty is a regular.... their Ultra is a heavy duty..... their extreme is an Ultra. yeah, it's dumb that they're rating is off, but they're good tubes.

again, I say go with a knobbie.
  7. BillUA

BillUA Las Vegas, NV Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm registered and paid:

<table class="CartTable" align="center" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td style="border-bottom:1px dashed #ccc;padding: 10px;" align="left">Day 2 Only (Sat) - LA / Barstow / Vegas - 2013
    Item# 4870514841-211819839-269609631</td><td style="border-bottom:1px dashed #ccc;padding: 10px;" align="right">$120.00 USD</td><td style="border-bottom:1px dashed #ccc;padding: 10px;" align="right">1</td><td style="border-bottom:1px dashed #ccc;padding: 10px;" align="right">
    </td></tr></tbody></table>
    Will I receive a confirmation or is the payal receipt it?

Will the GPS tracks be available to download a few days before the ride or how does that work?

Also, what is the basic diff between the Adventure Route and the Hard Route?

For reference, I'm a Class B Enduro type From the rocky mountain enduro circuit.

Thanks
  8. johngil

johngil Reseda, CA

Oddometer:
    You will receive your GPS tracks at sign-up.
    Depending on what bike you're on, I'd guess that you will want to take all of the harder routes.
    Have fun!
  9. BillUA

Oddometer:

Thanks! I'll be on my 500EXC :clap
  10. johngil

johngil Reseda, CA

Oddometer:
    Then maybe you should ride w/ one hand the whole way...:deal
  11. BillUA

Oddometer:
    Ha! Probably not, I have a job :lol3
  12. RAZR

Oddometer:

there's no ADVenture ride this year. just the Regular route and the Hard route.

the hard route isnt really that hard to someone on a 525/530/500 EXC that's an experienced enduro rider. it's just longer and has a few spots here or there.

don't do all the hard routes if you get behind. just remember you are racing the sun. the sunrise is 6:59AM and the sunset is 4:30PM on November 29.

you'll have a blast!!
  13. lotus241

lotus241 n00b

Oddometer:
    I am glad to see I wont be the only one doing this for the first time. I managed to persuade two others to join so just look out for 3 Ohio boys...probably at the bottom of a ravine.

But in all seriousness we are excited for this. I have been watching this thread and the others to gain some insight on how to prepare for this.

We will be a group of three on Ohio plated 2013 KTM350, 2007 CRF450, and my highly modified 2010 YZ250F.

Ray
  14. rsks

rsks Adventurer

Oddometer:
    how is everyone arranging the ride back to LA? I'm trying to persuade some of my friends to drive my truck to Vegas and bring me back but no luck.

also, anyone need a riding buddy? I'm a slower intermediate rider riding a KTM 450XC. Would like to ride the hardways as time allows. I've got rooms in Barstow and Vegas and would be willing to split cost. I've been trying to register to the D37 site but haven't been able to. Even contacted the admin but no response
  15. RAZR

Oddometer:
    definitely get on the District 37 forum. there is a "I need a riding buddy" thread over there.
    http://www.district37ama.org/forums/showthread.php?t=60045

or PM guys on this thread that have posted up.

if it's needed.... I could use one of my posts on page 1 to make a list of guys that need riding partners. why'd a think!?

as far as getting you and your bike back to LA (Palmdale), you have to get creative... we've rented a U-Haul which works.
    also some people have their wives/gfs drive their truck.
    there sometimes is a guy that will offer a huge truck and take bikes back. not guaranteed that will happen.
    you could ride back. :puke1
    a buddy of mine drove his truck there a week before and flew back.then I drove us to Palmdale and he drove us back.

the D37 forum administrator is going through chemo for colon cancer so he's not available at the moment.

but you should be able to sign up to the forum without having to go through him.
  16. rsks

rsks Adventurer

Oddometer:
    RAZR,
    Posting up on the first page sounds great to me.
    On the D37 page, when you register there is a picture where you see the letters and have to type them in to get access (keep robo spammers out) but that picture isn't working. It comes up as a broken link.

Wow, chemo sucks. I'll send a prayer for him.
  17. CA Stu

CA Stu Peace and Love

Oddometer:
    Hey, it ain't that bad riding back! :lol3

But drive and fly is flat out genius. :thumb
  18. RAZR

Oddometer:
    i'll mention the sign up captcha dealio thing isn't working on D37.

yes, chemo sucks. Paul seems to be doing good. keep his recovery in all of your thoughts and prayers. he's a good hard worker (volunteer).

i'll add a list to PAGE 1.:deal

EDIT: i just checked the D37 forum and signed up a fake account to see if i could get through.
    there was no CAPCHA to go through.
    try it again.
  19. RAZR

Oddometer:
    it wasn't my idea. he made it into a "business" trip so it worked. maybe a flight one way from Vegas to LA a week before is cheaper than a U-Haul. :dunno
  20. bigtodd

bigtodd Hi, wanna ride?

Oddometer:

I am planning on riding back again this year, but agree, the "drive and fly" sounds really good.