Trip from Cedar Falls, Iowa to Anchorage, Alaska

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by steelersbamafan, Oct 10, 2012.

1. steelersbamafan

steelersbamafan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Im in the early stages of planning for a trip from Cedar Falls, Iowa to Anchorage, Alaska. I dont know yet if the trip will take place in '13 or '14. My planning at this point is as the following: entry point into Canada will be Portal, ND. I plan on traveling through the following: Regina, Saskatoon, Edmonton, Dawson Creek, Fort Nelson, Watson Lake and Whitehorse. Im looking for any information that can help me in my travels, Sites I should take time to see or anything worth mentioning that will help me. I will be traveling on a Kawasaki Vulcan Voyager street bike pulling a Aluma trailer. Any information would be very much appreciated. I also will be posting on the Canada regional forum.
  2. KHud

KHud Survivor

Oddometer:
    Try posting in the Americas trip planing forum ( http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=57). That area is specifically designed for this sort of question. Try a search of that forum as well. There have been several threads dealing with planning rides to AK. Good luck.

PS: get a copy of the Milepost. This is a yearly publication that provides mile by mile description of the roads to and in AK.
  3. nuttynu

nuttynu NuttyNu Rider

Oddometer:
    ALso check out the book "the milepost"

Sounds like one heck of a trip.
  4. KHud

KHud Survivor

Oddometer:
    Great idea :D
  5. nuttynu

nuttynu NuttyNu Rider

Oddometer:
    Always be on the look out for wildlife too :)
  6. GRIZ

GRIZ COMMANDANT

Oddometer:
    ESPECIALLY "PTERODACTYLS":evil
  7. steelersbamafan

Oddometer:
    Purchased a copy of "The Milepost" today. So far looks amazing. Thank you for the info.
  8. nuttynu

nuttynu NuttyNu Rider

Oddometer:
    Lets see pics of the bike with trailer. That's badass
  9. steelersbamafan

Oddometer:
    At this time my updated route planning from Cedar Falls, Iowa to Anchorage, Alaska will include traveling throught the following: Rapid City, SD and Great Falls, MT picking up the East Access Route. At Calgary Im planning on taking 93 to Jasper where I will follow Yellowhead Highway to Cassiar Highway then on to the Alaska Highway. Two points of interest at this time are going through Stewart, BC and Watson Lake, YT. I did purchase a copy of "The Milepost" which Im finding very helpful but am still interested in hearing from anyone that can add more ideas of must not miss sites.
  10. Alaskajeff

Alaskajeff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Paging Alcan Rider to the white courtesy phone:rofl
  11. AKDuc

AKDuc Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer:
  12. Moto-Kafe

Moto-Kafe Gnarly Entre-manure Supporter

Oddometer:
    I rec'd my copy a few months ago..............EXCELLENT reading and informative. Highly recommended (Disclaimer: I've never been to AK...........I just think the book is well wriiten and adds fuel to my fire on planning a trip there someday). :wink:
  13. BARB

BARB Alaska Leather - Home of the Sheepskin Buttpad Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
  14. FotoTEX

FotoTEX Long timer

Oddometer:
    Barb at Alaska Leather is your go to lady in Alaska. She is very good with helping us from the lower 48. Give her your business she is great. My Alaska Butt Pad came in very handy on our trip to the Great
    Land. This is a trip of a lifetime. Keep your eyes wide open. Every mile is beyond words.

Buy the best Rain Gear you can get. Also alot of DEET. And last but not least-$$$$$$$. Place is not cheap but worth every$$$$$. Guaranteed.

Laird Hot Springs and Chena Hot Springs outside Fairbanks are must do's. But then, there are ALOT of must do's on this Epic Ride.

The salad bar in Tok at Fast Eddie's is much appreciated. The Salmon Bake and Campground there are also very good.
  15. ak bike

ak bike Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a great trip..One possible route to look at if you have the time is Calgary to Baniff, Jasper, Grande Cashe , Grande Prairie , Dawson and up.. Or more west to Cranbrook BC ,Radium ,Lake Louise , Jasper. That part of Alberta and BC rival Alaska. The Calgary Edomond route is pretty flat and windy. Probable take a few days more but it is a pretty spectacular route . You got good advice on Laird Hot Springs, a must plus a great camp site if your camping. Hope your trip north comes about.
  16. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:

Just drove by a porcupine about 5 minutes ago at the top of my driveway.

Bet that dude was a tad chipper.
  17. nuttynu

nuttynu NuttyNu Rider

Oddometer:

yup, very very common/
  18. jprism

jprism Got Miles & Smiles

Oddometer:
    I am going in mid June to mid July 2013 from Nashville to Alaska. Leaving from Nashville TN and entering Canada thru North Portal?
  19. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:

There's a fairly big stretch of boring just north of the border through that section. I usually scoot along the US side of the border until I get further west and then cross over. Not that this side through that mid-America stretch is awe inspiring or even close... but it does seem to be marginally more interesting and has a few more things to look at.
  20. e7grunt

e7grunt n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey I did the exact same trip in 2011, Started just down the road from you, Manchester Iowa. Did it alone, rode till the haul road turned to gravel. Drop me a note, we can chat, or if you want we could meet up for a bit of a ride once the weather turns. I have a Milepost book you could probably use. ( I would want it back) I might be doing this trip again, not 2013, but maybe 2014. If you email me im e7grunt on yahoo.