noob looking for first DS

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by sonic reducer, Aug 19, 2007.

1. sonic reducer

sonic reducer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi all,
    I'm new to dual sports and dirt riding in general though have been riding motorcycles on the street for a couple years and racing mountain bikes for about 15. It's high time I got onto the dirt with a throttle. I've done a bit of searching as far as what are the good dual sports are, but it seems to be mostly about the newer stuff(yeah, the DRZ's sound awesome).
    a few criteria of mine:
    -$1500-2000ish, the cheaper the better, but could be talked into spending a max. of say 2500 on a screaming deal
    -more offroad oriented
    -capable of sustained interstate speeds
    -electric start would be nice, or a known reliable kicker
    -the newer the better, this bike will be for riding not wrenching on
    -will be used for commuting around ftc, with some road trips to the local trails and hopefully the mountains before the snow flies

a couple CL items that have caught my eye:

perhaps the price is a little steep?
    http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/400920393.html

see also:
    http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/400860939.html

can it run with I-25?
    http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/400791949.html

hmmm, how are these things?
    http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/400647036.html

strokers are cool, but as a first DS?
    http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/400585780.html

a little expensive...
    http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/400317475.html

I'd buy this thing just for the aluminum tank...
    http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/400171715.html

anyone care to give me some pointers on the DS market?
    TIA
    jeremy
  2. Wings

Wings long gone

Oddometer:
    Hi Sonic! There are decent DRZ you can find in the 2500 dollar range, and other nice bikes as well, you just have to be patient and look around a bit. If you prefer to stay local, check out the following thread , it may save you some time :D

And I'm sure there'll be plenty of folks here chiming in on what their favorites are as well. Good Luck and have fun and welcome to the Asylum!
  3. Lomax

Lomax Nanu-Nanu Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sonic,

Welcome to the forum. I think you are taking a great first step by asking these questions here. My only concern is you requirement of "capable of sustained highway speeds". The bikes you are showing in your links all look good and are priced about right but I would not want to run down the highway at 75 all day long on any of them. I have a XR600R and a KTM 450EXC as the ligher DS bikes. The XR is much more comfortable but I would only run it around 65. The KTM will run much faster but is not very comphy for longer trips. You are having the age old WTF is the perfect bike questions. Also remember that these types of bikes will need maintenance more often that and porpose made street or DS bike.

As you will probably hear from others I think a KLR650 or DRZ650 are fantastic 50/50 bikes. If you want more dirt worthy then it is hard to beat an XR600R or XR650. The XR400 and DRZ400 type bikes are fantastic but don't expect comfort on the highways.

Go ride as much as you can to get the feel of them. What will my butt look like after 12 hours on this thing? How will this get up that steep hill in front of me?

Marc
  4. EagleFeather

EagleFeather Flyin' High

Oddometer:
  5. mountain eagle

mountain eagle terrorist

Oddometer:
    Photo82's KLR is a good deal..... or ere109 might still have a $1500 XR600 available.........

do some searching and reading around, there is generally an inverse relationship between highway comfort and dirt worthyness.............
  6. sonic reducer

Oddometer:
    yeah, I guess interstate speeds are kinda wishful thinking with a more dirt oriented machine. that KLR does look like a good deal but it's a little too street oriented for what I'm looking for.
    I'd love to ride every bike I'm considering, but I hate tire kickers when I'm trying to sell something, know what I mean. hell, I don't even know if I want a 400 or a 600 yet. probably 400.
  7. Lomax

Oddometer:
    Sonic,

If ya ever get down this away you can take the white night around the block. If ya break it ya bought it and it is damn expensive. :lol3

[​IMG]

Marc
  8. EagleFeather

EagleFeather Flyin' High

Oddometer:

HEY - Thats my bike!!!!!!!!

One day!

:D

:hide
  9. Lomax

Oddometer:
    OH I did not say it was for sale :lol3 :lol3

Marc
  10. murgatroid42

murgatroid42 Great Adventurer

Oddometer:
    sonic reducer, here's my $0.02.

- Get a bike that's already titled (make sure it is a clean title) and has the street stuff installed. You can do it yourself, but it will cost you more than you think and it can be a PITA to get a bike registered.
    - As much as possible, get a bike with all the "farkles" installed. Larger tank, protection stuff, handguards, etc. They add very little to the purchase cost of a used bike, but if you buy the stuff yourself, you will spend hundreds (or more).
    - Keep searching Craigslist. There is a Fort Collins Craigslist, and a Wyoming one, too. Check them out.
    - Get the gear. Good boots, helmet, armor, etc. Yes, it's expensive, but cheaper than hospital bills.
    - Dirt riding is very different than street riding. It is taking me a while to get comfortable riding in the dirt. If you are racing mountain bikes, you probably will adapt quickly, though.

Good luck finding a bike, and welcome to the asylum. :evil
  11. Deano955

Deano955 Insatiable

Oddometer:
    What is THAT?
  12. Lomax

Oddometer:
    a 1996 XR600R with a super tanker fuel tank. :evil

Marc
  13. sonic reducer