Kiwi Mostly On Topic - Off Topic Chat Thread.

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Shaggie, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Padmei

Padmei enamoured

Oddometer:
    Slight topic change.

Anyone had sore inside elbow tendons from motorcycling (golfers elbow)? If so how did you help it?
  2. NordieBoy

NordieBoy Armature speller

Oddometer:
    Nope, I just get sore shoulders and neck.
  3. bikemoto

bikemoto Tyre critic

Oddometer:
    "motorcycling" LOL. Too much wanking over the boxer??
  4. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Yeah, right!

Oddometer:
    I have that, but thought it came from typing, or sleeping on my arm. I still have it. Can no longer completely straighten my right arm.
  5. Box'a'bits

Box'a'bits In need of repair Supporter

Oddometer:
    The bar bend has a bit to do with that...
  6. Padmei

Padmei enamoured

Oddometer:
    Hmmm yes. all of those replies have merit. I feel it most when using the mouse funnily enough. I have a suspicion it may be due to pressure from the pressure suit - I might cut a hole on the inside of the sleeve & see if that makes a difference.

Anyway back to Clint & his glory box:D
  7. Micawberism

Micawberism Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Brake bleeding, if its a pain in the ass, there is usualy something simple wrong. Check the basics as its usually them. :deal
    Disc or Drum? If its drum ensure they are adjusted correctly first. make sure cylinders have the bleeders at the highest point (yes I have seen them installed upside down). Master cylinder mounting angle is another problem (sometimes) with modified vehicles.
    If all else fails resort to LandRover tactics (bloody pommie shits of things to bleed). Two man (or if Rosie is involved two person) operation.
    Start at furtherest point,
    Open bleeder
    Push pedal halfway to floor, allow to return slowly to top, brief pause, then shove the bugger down to the floor as hard and fast as you can.
    Close bleeder and allow pedal to return to raised position, wait a few seconds then repeat
    Good luck :D
  8. Micawberism

Micawberism Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Angle of your wrist mate :deal
    Serious (yeah not like me at all is it), try changing the position of your handle bars as if the angles from your arms through your wrists are not correct (comfort dont mean right) you will get arm problems.

Less wanking and coffee may help also :lol3
  9. Night Falcon

Night Falcon Previous Rider

Oddometer:
    I had mine operated on twice- tendonitis - from swinging a hammer for 25yrs. There are some exercises you can do like hold your arm out straight and flex your hand forward and back (ooh you are awful but I like you). doing the same thing with a small weight in your hand (tin bake beans) will also help to stretch the tendon and free it up.

If it persists you can see a physio for treatment. Orthopaedic surgeons will most likely try cortisone on it - which can help if you get it early enough. You can buy a band that velcros tight around your forearm which will relieve the pain while your using your arm (riding/other?), didn't work for me as it kept falling off.

if you go to the doctor or physio its better if you can remember the exact date you fell and banged your elbow otherwise mr ACC finds it difficult to assist you if they view it as a repetitive strain injury.
  10. Phreaky Phil

Phreaky Phil Long timer

Oddometer:
    I got tendonitis in my right Archilles tendon from 3 weeks in the South Island trying to slow the Beemer down with the useless drum brake. Took a long time to come right. 18 months or so :eek1
  11. clintnz

clintnz Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer:
    After blowing the 'Cruiser rebuild budget on expensive but mostly invisible driveline bling a 'Dulux overhaul' was out of the question. So I settled for a cheap Crown roof paint overhaul instead :evil

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Flares to make it look slightly legal & re-engineering the old side bars next on the list.

Cheers
    Clint
  12. zaTTaz

zaTTaz LOUD NOISES.

Oddometer:
    Cool looking wee wagon man. Scrubbed up alright :evil

What were the driveline goodies?

Old conveyor belting makes good flares.
  13. Night Falcon

Night Falcon Previous Rider

Oddometer:
    Looks like its got more ground clearance than a lot of hardcore enduro's. 42nd traverse machine for sure :deal spectacular work Clint.
  14. Padmei

Padmei enamoured

Oddometer:
    After changing one shock in the Bighorn last week that took way too long, I'm in awe of what you've done with your cruiser. Did you get the $99.00 shocks from supercheap too? - yours seem slightly higher than mine:lol3

Looks good!
  15. clintnz

Oddometer:
    Toyota 80 series Landcruiser rear axle with Eaton diff lock, Nissan GQ Safari/Patrol front axle, both with various bits modified & rebuilt.

The donor vehicle suspension linkages were used & modified to fit where needed. New chassis mounts fabricated for most bits.

On the way from Oz is a set of extra reduction transfer case gears to correct for the big rubber & the fact that the diffs are 4.11 vs the 4.88 original.

Just sourcing some flare material, conveyor belting I've seen is a bit heavy &/or floppy - they have to stick out a long way. A mate has used some 3mm polypropylene sheet with good results so going to try & get some of that.

~300mm under the diffs :evil

Thanks! it has been a bit of work, real nice to finally have it coming together. Went for a 30km test drive just now, got it in 4wd on the gravel, went pretty well - no bad vibes or funky handling.
    After struggling to find the right rear shocks locally I got some basic Rancho 5000s from Summit Racing in the US, only about $110ea landed. Fronts are my old ones but are limiting the travel, need to hunt down some longer ones for there too.

Cheers
    Clint
  16. Underground

Underground unbefuckingbelievable

Oddometer:
    If I come for a visit do you promise to take me out and scare me with it?
    Nice colour, I'm thinking of painting the wee bus a similar colour so we can blend in with the surroundings whilst doing a bit of sneaky camping.
  17. zaTTaz

zaTTaz LOUD NOISES.

Oddometer:
    If you use anything too rigid you'll end up replacing it all the time or bending your guards, well, depending on the sort of wheeling you do. Mine wasn't as wide (75-100mm from memory) as yours will need to be but I kept it taunt and used a few extra bolts after I didn't like how they sat to start with and they were fine.

Nice combo on the diffs. You going to throw an LSD in the front?

Did you do the suspension work yourself?

Good effort and enjoy man!
  18. Te Hopo

Te Hopo Nomad

Oddometer:
  19. clintnz

Oddometer:
    Hell yeah! The test track is 10 min up the road :evil A mate reckoned I should paint some faux army insignia on it to further lessen the chance of being told off for being in the wrong place or hooning :lol3

Dead right on getting just the right material for the flares, they will be getting a hiding.

The diff combo came about as the Nissan are big & cheap, 9" + , but have a centred rear diff would make for a lot of angle on my short rear driveshaft, the 80 series rear is also 9"+, the same width, has the offset to match the t-case, is a slightly stronger full floater & has a built in handbrake which the Nissan lacks. However the 80 series front is only an 8" centre...

Not really into LSD fronts, would like to put an Eaton electric locker in there too but not without uprated hubs plus cro-moly axles & CV's, which makes it about a $4K job, so not any time soon. Just having the rear locker is going to be a huge novelty, the cruiser has always needed it.

Apart from the cutting & shaping of the wheel arches which a mate helped with as he'd just done the same on his, everything in the current round of mods is my work. I talked to the certifier before starting, sent him some pics of my welding & got the go-ahead. Not all super pretty but will be strong. :wink:

[​IMG]

All done with my TIG apart from the overhead sheetmetal work on the wheel arches where I had to give up & borrow a MIG

Thanks, it made economic sense to do the roof, the fence & the 4x4 all the same :rofl

Jeep flares is a really good idea. I think a mate with a jeep may have upgraded his a while back, should see if he has the stock ones around, could use them to check fitment.

Cheers
    Clint
  20. innathyzit

innathyzit AKA Woodman

Oddometer:
    Three and a half minutes to go in the final,two points ahead and you are in the oppositions half playing a fricken good counter attacking team and you kick the ball to them??:asshat