Ask Woody About Your Wheels

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by woody's wheel works, Jun 17, 2006.

1. omnivore

omnivore SuperSportTourer

Oddometer:
    Is it Possible to lace up wheels in SM sizes (120 F/150 or 160R) for a KTM 950 SM?

Keeping in mind the bike has 2 front rotors etc, what would be req'd?
  2. woody's wheel works

woody's wheel works Built to Last Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    we can build anything ya may want or need for that bike,,whatever color etc,:clapjust holler,,woody
  3. MotoTex

MotoTex Miles of Smiles

Oddometer:
    Hey Woody,

Thank you for the fast turn-around on the front wheel rebuild, and for finding that black T in LG.

I've already showed off the T and had someone ask about your work. They received a glowing endorsement.

The wheel is beautiful.

Now to continue the testing program, :D.
  4. KTMSER

KTMSER Big bike friendly

Oddometer:
    What is the cause of this and is there any way to prevent it in the future..

Every nipple hole has it. Some real bad spots with lots of material missing.

I live in the desert to.. Its a dry out here with very few water crossings. I do not wash it very often (never).....

07 950SE 44,000 hard miles..

DID Dirt Stars..

No pics of the front but it is cracked and needs replaced also..

Rear..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. Johnf3

Johnf3 Long timer

Oddometer:
    KTMSER,
    Did you run Slime in your tubes? It can be very corrosive, although that damage is the worst I have seen.
  6. KTMSER

KTMSER Big bike friendly

Oddometer:

Never used any slime, no fix a flat..
    Always had a rim strip no tape..
    The front is doing it also just not as bad..
  7. woody's wheel works

Oddometer:

hi,,just got back in town after driving through the very deserts you speak of a week ago,,,

let me tell you,,those desert floors have accumulated a potpourri of corrosive chemical ingredients that i bet have more than enough power to do this to your aluminum rim,,,the dust get's in there,,you wash your bike and the process starts,,,,there may be other contributing factors like the galvanic action taking place between dissimilar metals in your case you have galvanized/zinc plated nipples to boot,,they do not like salts and such,,

i've seen this happen to every chrome plated rim after 2-3years of use in the east coast,,, the rockies,,,anyplace that uses salt and chloride for ice removal,,,

the only thing that i have seen work faster is SLIME,,,,visualize your wheel looking 4x as bad in half the time:huh:eek1

FYI by the time you media blast it and re-paint/re-anodize it you may as well start with a new rim,,,,running it through the anodizing stripper should remove most of the mung....that would have to be done to see how deeply the corrosion has attacked.....

does that help ya ???

woody
  8. KTMSER

KTMSER Big bike friendly

Oddometer:
    The corrosion has compromised the area around the nipples, there is a lot of material gone..

No saving these...

Have a look at them when they arrive..

Boxed and shipped...:evil
  9. pbreisch

pbreisch Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a standard F650GS that I want to switch to a 21" front. I have a DID wheel that came with my front forks for another project and I was wondering if the BMW hub could be laced to that DID rim. There are no markings on it other then:

DID JAPAN 76 --07 10--

From this info can you tell me if these 2 are compatible?

Thanks,

Phil
  10. tileman

tileman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi woody.

I have just got spokes (from buchannan) for a YZ talon hub for a behr rim. I have laced the spokes up to the Behr rim with the entire combo in the forks. Its the offset that looks very wierd. The rim is centred in the forks but the hub/rim is quite of centre. How much offset would be normal? from the look from the eye it looks to be about 10-12mm. Is that normalish or have I got the incorrect spokes? (I may have given the wrong details). When you build a wheel using a talon hub to a behr rim does the rim look centred in the hub?

cheers
  11. woody's wheel works

Oddometer:
    FYI,,before we take a wheel apart we always meaure the offset with a carpenters square...usually using a surface like the disc mounting surface as the reference point...it's an easy way to re-locate the rim in the same spot...

the object of course is that the rim theoretically should be centered on the bike/between the forks in front..

so if your wheel is centered between the forks ,,i wouldn't worry too much

woody
  12. woody's wheel works

Oddometer:
    your best bet is to send everything you have and we'll see what we can salvage /swap...we have a big inventory of good used/like new stuff,,,that we can reach for to achieve the desired objective,,,

we know lot's of tricks to keep cost down,,,send it in we'll sove the problem:freaky
    woody
  13. tileman

tileman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cheers woody!!!

Really though, what could go wrong with shortened YZ forks, an axle that comes from ???, a YZ talon hub from ebay (maybe), spokes from the other side of the world, and a rim that came from a triumph. hehe:lol3
  14. bcdaum

bcdaum Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Near the home of the rodent(Kissimmee,FL)
    Woody,

Has anyone expressed any interest in making the wheels on a new 800 Tiger XC tubeless. I believe they come with excel rims, so you will have a good starting point. Approximately what would the cost end up being? Thanks for all of the info you provide to us.

Bob
  15. woody's wheel works

Oddometer:

hi bob once again the deciding factor is if the rim has a safety bead,,i have no qualms in making them tubeless...i do have some standards on what rims that have safety beads that i am willing or not willing to seal..

the other factor is making sure the spokes are all tight /and /or the wheel needs to be true...or else you are wasting your $$$

bottom line ,,,no problem:1drink

woody
  16. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Banned

Oddometer:
    Just got my new superlaced LC4 wheel all balanced and ready to mount and ride (waiting patiently for cooperative weather). Got to give a thumbs up to Woody's and his work. My 01 LC4 enuduro kept breaking spokes like they are prone to do. Sent it in for superlacing. Woody also discovered that the cheap assed KTM rim was also cracked at the weld.

So, new rim, new superlace, and I topped it off with new bearings. Fast turn around and fair pricing for an excellent product. I will be using them in the future for other repairs.
  17. overlandr

overlandr Dystopist

Oddometer:
    This post is useless without photos. :evil
  18. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
  19. woody's wheel works

Oddometer:
  20. LPC

LPC ******

Oddometer:
    Hi Woody,

I have a KTM 990 Adventure S. I'm debating if I should get the 50/50 set up or go stronger with the A60 front and the 3.5x18 rear. I ride the bike as it was intended, just about everything. I'd like to eventually replace the stalk rims as well (many ring dings) for a second set for more highway riding and commuting.

What are your (and other's) thoughts on this?

Thanks,