LC8 valve adjust frequency & how much change?

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by ktm55, Nov 21, 2012.

1. ktm55

ktm55 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sorry if this is a repeat. I couldn't find any threads on this topic with the search tool.

I am looking for a nice low mileage, one owner, 990 Adventure. I've studied the Halls of Wisdom and there really don't seem to be any lemon years and no issues that are too difficult to overcome, please correct me if I am mistaken.

As a buyer once I get past the cosemetics I want to quiz the owner on how the bike was maintained. I looked in the owner's manual and it appears the valve clearance ck is due every ~10k miles. My question to you 'already owners' is what was you finding in the first few valve checks? Did the valve clearances need adjustment at 10k? at 20k? If so about how much?

After regular oil/filter changes I consider valve clearance to be next most important service requirement for long engine life. Other things like brakes, wheel bearings, etc I can visually check. Any other item a potential buyer should add to 'must know' information?

I particularly like to hear for 950/990 owner's who have 50k miles or more. Beyond normal wear and tear, what has worn out or become an issue? I am aware of the water pump shaft wear issue.

Thanks in advance for your input :ear
  2. Black Hills

Black Hills Long timer

Oddometer:
    did my first adjustment at 11,000mi. both rear exhausts were 1 shim size tight (barely). plan the next check at 20 or 25,000?
  3. Zuber

Zuber Zoob

Oddometer:
    The 03-08 models have an adjustment at 600 miles and every 8000 after that. These models that I've adjusted for the first time (at 600 or 8000, sometimes 12,000) usually had one exhaust on the front tight and one intake on the rear loose. They ran much better after fixing this and didn't change much after, maybe one intake would be very slightly tight.

The 09-up have a different head with improved cooling, also better assembly, they have the first adjustment at 9000 and every 9k after. I've only randomly loosened up an exhaust valve on these on the first adjustment, they never seem to change after that.

The first adjustment at 8-10k is the most important and should not be skipped. I've worked on a few bikes that supposedly were taken care of at two other dealers in Seattle. There was no evidence the valve covers were ever off. If you buy a new bike, get some history on it yourself.
  4. ktm55

ktm55 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I appreciate the feedback. So seems if 1st service valve ck at ~10k is done then most likely clearaces are good to about 25k miles./

After ridinng a '05 950 Adv with 18k and an '07 990 with 29k, I am of the mind set to move into the newer years and pay the price for mileage under 10k. The '05 seemed very weak under 6k rpm then livened up even with FMF mufflers. The '07 ran well thru the RPM range. On the '07 the owner had gone up 3T on the rear sprocket to 45T. The bike was quite lively and well equiped and price firm at $7600. I was tempted but I really want near new condition. That first 20 to 30k miles are the primo miles and I'm willing to pay more to move into a '10 or '11 model.
  5. 666

666 Long timer

Oddometer:
    are you ktm 55 from sbr? Then you got a trailtech stator from me about a year ago.
    In any case, if 950 wasnt jetted right it can be somewhat crappy.

I adjusted rear cylinder at 14k - some valves were just barely on the tight side. Now at 30k and so far valves didnt move. I think I check again around 50.
  6. Zuber

Zuber Zoob

Oddometer:
    I have a 2010 Adv 990, pulled it out of the crate myself. Great bike. I'd recommend the 09-up models. No big problems with these models, they all run great and can easily go 60k with normal servicing.
  7. HellsAlien

HellsAlien a has-been that never-was Supporter

Oddometer:
    '05 950A from new, 57K and counting here, including mucho baja miles.

Tires.

If you ride this bike like it demands, you will use tires like nothing you have ever ridden before.

And you will have no regrets about that!

Rear shock seal started leaking at 57,000 miles. Its been rebullt twice. This was the day after I strafed/lapped all comers at a go-kart track and took home low lap time and a fistfull of cash on 4K Montana-shagged tires! Second time this bike has had low lap time on pavement. Found the quad ring for sale at a bearing shop for 61 cents. Stay on top of suspension maintenance as it is one of the strong points of the bike.

Ride it like you stole it, don't look back.
    chevtech likes this.