A noob goes racing

Discussion in 'Racing' started by eatpasta, Jan 15, 2010.

1. eatpasta

eatpasta Lawnmower Target Supporter

Oddometer:
    yeah and when the temps get into the high 90's....

it gets to be very tough
  2. MotoMike

MotoMike Washed Up Desert Racer For The 2nd Time

Oddometer:
    OK, so Gorman might be a good race to bump yourself up to novice so you can ride the second loop in the forest. It makes for a long day, but just getting to ride those trails without the fear of oncoming traffic is worth it.

Plus you will get to find out just how good of shape you are in :evil
  3. eatpasta

Oddometer:
    How hard is it going to be..... if the first loop of checkers this year was a 5 out of 10.....?

I desperately need to get new tires. The KTM is actually at teh shop right now due to the oil leak going from being a leak to being a drain....

here is the offical "In The Shop" tally for my two race bikes

Honda 650R: Race Completed: 6
    In The Shop: 0 times

KTM 525 MXC: Races completed: 1
    In The Shop: 1 time
  4. MotoMike

Oddometer:
    Can't help you with the Honda, but I already told you we can handle the KTM, and for a lot less than the shop will charge.

Nothing at Gorman is like a desert race, it's just a long hot day, and if you try to ride fast you will be tired. Well, there is the "Buttcrack of Gorman", that tends to catch a few people out.

Example...

<iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/M_vcNG7CgZQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  5. eatpasta

Oddometer:
    well it was pretty bad - I think it was the front sprocket seal. but you know me, I get off of work at 7pm.... I dont really have time to work on stuff unless I plan it. and this weekend we are super busy.... so it just wasnt in the cards.
    Plus I have a bro that kinda gives a deal and he has a KTM so he knows what's going on.

How long are the loops?

:ear

It does sound like fun.... AND I have hand guards.... so....

:lol3
  6. MotoMike

Oddometer:
    Loops are something like 35 miles each.

And a leaky countershaft seal usually means someone has been running their chain too tight.
  7. eatpasta

Oddometer:
    :nah

well either way I should find out today.....

35 miles eh... and the first one is usually pretty easy right?

hmmmmmm.... maybe I will bump
  8. MotoMike

Oddometer:
    Go for it. You want to run with the big dawgs, now's your chance.

And it might have been the guy you bought the bike from, but a leaky CS is from an overtight chain. When you adjust your chain, and you think it's too loose, loosen it up a little more and you'll be good. Seriously.
  9. JeffS77

JeffS77 cheap bastard

Oddometer:
    the second loop runs threw frazier/los padres I believe..some cool single track up there
  10. eatpasta

Oddometer:
    you coming out for this one??

:ear

ok I have a green bar somewhere in my desk at home..... time to change it over to black numbers it looks like....
  11. MotoMike

Oddometer:
    Atta boy! Are you camping? I will warn you right now, the sound check is a clusterfuck and everyone has to do it. The first year I did it, I thought I had plenty of time on Sunday morning, missed my start time, got another start time (Minute 101 :eek1) and STILL missed it by a few minutes.
  12. eatpasta

Oddometer:
    it looks the weather is going to be nice so yea - ill sign up on Saturday and get up early to get sound check taken care of.

I have a green bar, all I need are black numbers and to clear it all with Jannean etc.
  13. Motodisiac

Motodisiac Moto Terrorist

Oddometer:
    If they run Snowy trail on 2nd loop you are fuc*ed. We ran that trail last year and it seemed super technical even at non race speed. I can only imagine the bottlenecks there. In my friend's Facebook album this ride is titled "dirt ride from hell". The rest of the trails in the forest are super fun, I wish I could make it to this event.

[​IMG]
  14. KZJohn

KZJohn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Quite a few years ago I rode Snowy Trail on a 1983 Husky 500XC. The switchbacks were tighter than the ol Husky could turn. The first few I had to stop and pick up the back of the bike to get around the corners. Then I started to go in hot and brake slide around. That worked alot better, I've been "backing it in" ever since. That pic shows one of the easy sections.
  15. eatpasta

Oddometer:
    we were out there a few weeks ago and did this pretty crazy hillclimb.... was fun but incredibly steep
  16. Motodisiac

Motodisiac Moto Terrorist

Oddometer:
    I can guarantee it was the easy one.

D.

17. eatpasta

Oddometer:

:lol3

probably.... but I was the only one that made it up first try and I was the only 650 rider.

:evil

AND - there was another rider out there on a 250 that didnt make it after three tries.....he will remain nameless....
  18. JeffS77

JeffS77 cheap bastard

Oddometer:

yes for saturdays family enduro..may stick around to watch sunday.

something tells me the 340+lbs KLX wont be a good choice for sundays big boy loops :D plus the rider is way out of shape..baby steps.....baby steps :lol3

you showing up saturday?? i guess we can camp out at the MX track ?? i may just sleep in the bed of my truck weather looks like it will be nice.
  19. eatpasta

Oddometer:
    I havent even looked at the schedule to see whats going on for the weekend.... but yes. The plan would be to go get tires on saturday morning then make my way out there to sign up and find a place to camp.

Gettin excited again!
  20. KZJohn

KZJohn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Jeff, do you MTB? I also live in Anaheim and am looking for someone to train with. I normaly ride on Tuesday eve after work. If your up for it send me a PM. John