DIY Color change using 3M Car wrapping Viny;

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by KucharskiPaul, Oct 20, 2011.

1. jules083

jules083 Long timer

Oddometer:

I'm wondering the same thing. My girlfriend's 250 Ninja has some rash and some small cracks. We're wonding if we can somehow glue the cracks, fill in the scratches with some sort of body filler, then wrap it.

Even if it's not perfect it would still look better than it does now, so I don't have too much to lose. The bike was dropped in a parking lot a few times by the PO, then the girlfriend lost the front end going about 30 or so in july.

The poor bike has been through hell, it makes me sad seeing it. Parking lot dropped at least twice, then shoved in the back corner of a garage for 10 years. When I bought it the tank was full of rust, carbs were gummed up, etc, and it had 263 miles on it. Now it's sitting in the garage rashed up from her wreck and only has about 700 miles on it. :cry
  2. dtysdalx2

dtysdalx2 The only easy day was yesterday...

Oddometer:
    This is some cool stuff! Watch that dude re do his mini cooper. :clap

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/nYWfHpmKIPw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Just gotta see ifn' I can find it locally...
  3. def

def Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer:
    Gee whiz.........I kinda liked the original blue color....
  4. I think your bike turned out great :D

It will probably be a while before I have the money to do even this as I'm expecting a daughter in August, but I've wanted to do something with the looks of my bike for quite some time now. I was thinking of re-painting the stock parts with either a tan or olive drab scheme and a white star on the tank or maybe going with a WWII airplane theme. Either way, paint would be rather expensive. This may just be the answer I'm looking for.

Do you think it would work over the tank and fenders on a V-Star like mine? Here's a pic of my bike:

[​IMG]

Thanks again for posting this :thumb
  5. MiteyF

MiteyF Long timer

Oddometer:
    I redid the (yellow) DRZ with some scraps from work. $free.99

Plus some sharpie... she's about 75% done right now

[​IMG]
  6. C-Stain

C-Stain Long timer

Oddometer:
    You have to remember too, that "Wrap Cast" vinyl is different than regular sign vinyl, which won't work for color changes. I have about 4 yards of Graphite and Carbon Fibre to do my V-Strom in the coming weeks. Mrs and I own a Vinyl Business, and my Vee is our first venture into the wrapping.

The wraps are made to be taken off and on during application and the adhesive is set by heat. Because the vinyl is also able to be stretched, applications over things like helmets are totally possible, although extremely time consuming and aggravating.

If I have enough Carbon Fibre left over, I'll cover and old helmet for you FFs to show you how its done.
  7. drbike

drbike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks, learned something new! Nice change to the strom too.
  8. MiteyF

MiteyF Long timer

Oddometer:
    The adhesive sticks just fine w/o heat, the heat is more just to shrink around corners (or stretch as the case may be).
  9. Tweaker

Tweaker ...

Oddometer:
    Your local marine supply store has highly reflective sticky tape approved by the Coast Guard for water rescue.
  10. BigEasy

BigEasy Fish Eyed Heathen

Oddometer:
    Nice work:clap

As the spouse of a Prius owner I commend you:lol3:freaky

(I claim no ownership of said golf cart)
  11. Tweaker

Tweaker ...

Oddometer:
    I see a crude example of low intelligence.

As motorcyclists, we should all be so proud.
  12. MiteyF

MiteyF Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, it's my mantra :D I'll be getting some stickers printed up at work soon too if anyone is interested

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  13. malignity

malignity Wonton

Oddometer:
    Would this work for changing the color of a helmet?
  14. tomski74

tomski74 Silesian American Supporter

Oddometer:
    I tried to play with the carbon wrap and it didn't work for me. Very frustrating :eek1
    You must be really skilled :D

Great job, or should I say "Swietna robota!"

Pozdrowienia!
  15. gn77b

gn77b Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wrapped some parts in carbon wrap mysef and it was frustrating indeed, very hard to avoid trapped air. and wrapping around circumference was not easy either. but I used cheap vinyl wrap and I read that 3M is much better as it has pores that allow air to escape. that should make the job A LOT easier if it works as advertised.

and to the OP: I hate you! I have dismissed the idea of vinyl wrapping my bike because everyone told me that the tank can't be done. now I saw your pics and I have to reconsider :lol3
    anyway a job for the winter but still.
  16. dtysdalx2

dtysdalx2 The only easy day was yesterday...

Oddometer:
    I received my 3M sample pack, it has about 40 different colors of the stuff. Tried it on a small area and it was a PITA to get around sharp bends etc so I gave up. :cry Used a hair dryer. Keeping the air bubbles out is a problem.

I suppose practice makes perfect, but the stuff is expensive to buy. I could watch some videos on YouTube though.
  17. C-Stain

C-Stain Long timer

Oddometer:
    We started wrapping my Vee, and found, while working in the smaller pieces that a hair dryer does not have enough heat. You need a heat gun and a plastic scrapper. We're using Oracal 975 Carbon Fibre Wrap Cast Vinyl and it's made to be repositionable. So you can take it on and off. We should be doing some more pieces this week, so I'll post some pics.
  18. MiteyF

MiteyF Long timer

Oddometer:
    What's even better than a heat gun is a torch with the piezo lighter button. We use them for car wraps at work and they really are the tits.
  19. Bonnie & Clyde

Bonnie & Clyde Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer:
    Thanks for posting this ive got a project im going to attempt now:D

20. xcflyn

xcflyn Long timer

Oddometer:
    Man I thought this was going to turn into a "fuck your prius" sticker thread- that shit cracks me up :rofl .
    The strom looked great white- OP did a fantastic job - now where do I get my FYP sticker for my smokin cummins ?