Would you buy this Toyota LandCruiser?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by GREATLAKESADVRIDER, Nov 10, 2010.

1. GREATLAKESADVRIDER

GREATLAKESADVRIDER Banned

Oddometer:
    I found a 91' LC that I might have to have. It has 206,000 miles on the original 4.0 liter I-6. The vehicle appears to have been extremely well maintained. Everything about the vehicle looks flawless, but is there something I should know? What do you think it's worth?

The one thing that is keeping me from pulling the trigger is that while many swear by Toyota reliability, I haven't had the same luck. I've had far better luck with GM and Honda products.

Are parts still available?
  2. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:
    206K is a lot of miles and that vehicle is almost 20 years old. If the price still looks good considering these facts and it is as well taken care of as it appears, then yes I would buy it.

90s Land Cruisers are just about the best vehicle Toyota has ever made. the 95-98 (I think) Land cruisers are considering to be "the ones to get" by those in the know but a 91 is still an excellent truck with great capabilities. That I6 is one of the best motors Toyota has ever produced. Not unusual to see 300-400K miles on them.

What do I think it's worth? $4500 if it's truly flawless and well maintained.
  3. sailah

sailah Lampin' it

Oddometer:
    I'd say even less than that. $2500 would be tops for me
  4. concours

concours WFO for 50 years

Oddometer:
    I agree... also DND is from the arrid southwest, OP from the rust belt. 20 annums is a LOT of salt baths. I'd have to get it reeeaaal cheap.
  5. LuciferMutt

Oddometer:
    Good point about the salt. I always forget what terrible shape cars get in relatively quickly out there.
  6. Bronco638

Bronco638 Nobody Home

Oddometer:
    What FJ# would a '91 be?

My BIL is a die-hard Toyota lover. He's owned an SR5 p/u, two 4Runners and a late 80s LC (FJ90?) Curiously, he drives only Ford pickups now.

I've always been impressed by the durability of the Toyota running gear but the longevity of the sheet metal (bodywork) leaves something to be desired, IMO.

I would seriously consider the amount of road salt to which this vehicle has been exposed (as previously mentioned).
  7. GREATLAKESADVRIDER

Oddometer:
  8. 30Bones

30Bones Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice rides and reliable as a hammer. I have always wanted one....

....fuel mileage, lack of power and overpriced is why I will never own a 'Cruiser of any age. I don't care how reliable it is or has been a 200K mile vehicle is a 200K mile vehicle and at the premiums they bring and repair costs if you can't do them yourself I'd certainly pass.
  9. changingground

changingground Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I carfaxed it because I have a couple reports left over- It seems OK, but has been in Michigan all it's life, so it's likely got some rust issues, though well hidden they may be. Looks like a two owner vehicle. Price feels high, but I would give my left nut for one of these. Really depends on how it looks, sounds, and checks out up close. <TABLE id=recordTable1 border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR id=detailsHeaderRow1 class=oddrow><TH id=dateHeader1 width="13%">Date:</TH><TH id=mileageHeader1 class=mileage width="13%">Mileage:</TH><TH id=sourceHeader1 width="24%">Source:</TH><TH id=commentsHeader1 width="50%">Comments:</TH></TR><TR id=record1 class=evenrow><TD vAlign=top>06/15/1990 </TD><TD class=mileage> </TD><TD vAlign=top>NICB </TD><TD vAlign=top>Vehicle manufactured
    and shipped to original dealer </TD></TR><TR id=record2 class=oddrow><TD vAlign=top>07/13/1990 </TD><TD class=mileage>25 </TD><TD vAlign=top>Wisconsin
    Motor Vehicle Dept.
    Verona, WI
    Title #9210118090 </TD><TD vAlign=top>Odometer reading reported </TD></TR><TR id=record3 class=evenrow><TD vAlign=top>04/10/1992 </TD><TD class=mileage> </TD><TD vAlign=top>Wisconsin
    Motor Vehicle Dept.
    Verona, WI
    Title #9210118090 </TD><TD vAlign=top>Title or registration issued
    First owner reported </TD></TR><TR id=record4 class=oddrow><TD vAlign=top>07/23/2002 </TD><TD class=mileage>142,447 </TD><TD vAlign=top>Smart Motors
    Madison, WI
    608-316-7778
    www.smartmotors.com </TD><TD vAlign=top>Body electrical system checked
    Engine checked
    Maintenance inspection completed
    Battery serviced </TD></TR><TR id=record5 class=evenrow><TD vAlign=top>02/12/2003 </TD><TD class=mileage>149,075 </TD><TD vAlign=top>Smart Motors
    Madison, WI
    608-316-7778
    www.smartmotors.com </TD><TD vAlign=top>Rear crankshaft oil seal replaced </TD></TR><TR id=record6 class=oddrow><TD vAlign=top>02/17/2004 </TD><TD class=mileage> </TD><TD vAlign=top>Michigan
    Motor Vehicle Dept.
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Title #200R0480266 </TD><TD vAlign=top>Title or registration issued
    New owner reported </TD></TR><TR id=record7 class=evenrow><TD vAlign=top>12/12/2005 </TD><TD class=mileage> </TD><TD vAlign=top>Michigan
    Motor Vehicle Dept.
    Kalamazoo, MI </TD><TD vAlign=top>Registration updated when owner moved
    the vehicle to a new location </TD></TR><TR id=record8 class=oddrow><TD vAlign=top>11/08/2006 </TD><TD class=mileage> </TD><TD vAlign=top>Michigan
    Motor Vehicle Dept.
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Title #201T3120339 </TD><TD vAlign=top>Title issued or updated
    Correction to record </TD></TR><TR id=record9 class=evenrow><TD vAlign=top>12/14/2006 </TD><TD class=mileage> </TD><TD vAlign=top>Michigan
    Motor Vehicle Dept.
    Kalamazoo, MI </TD><TD vAlign=top>Registration issued or renewed </TD></TR><TR id=record10 class=oddrow><TD vAlign=top>11/21/2007 </TD><TD class=mileage> </TD><TD vAlign=top>Michigan
    Motor Vehicle Dept.
    Kalamazoo, MI </TD><TD vAlign=top>Registration issued or renewed </TD></TR><TR id=record11 class=evenrow><TD vAlign=top>12/09/2008 </TD><TD class=mileage> </TD><TD vAlign=top>Michigan
    Motor Vehicle Dept.
    Kalamazoo, MI </TD><TD vAlign=top>Registration issued or renewed </TD></TR><TR id=record12 class=oddrow><TD vAlign=top>11/20/2009 </TD><TD class=mileage> </TD><TD vAlign=top>Michigan
    Motor Vehicle Dept.
    Kalamazoo, MI </TD><TD vAlign=top>Registration issued or renewed </TD></TR><TR id=record13 class=evenrow><TD vAlign=top>09/17/2010 </TD><TD class=mileage>205,951 </TD><TD vAlign=top>Online Listing </TD><TD vAlign=top>Vehicle offered for sale </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
  10. Olas

Olas Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you need to do emission tests where you live, make sure it will pass before you buy it. Ask me how I know!! Otherwise, expect to get shitty gas mileage, it's slow, heavy and underpowered but they are tanks and the motors are greatly reliable. They have timing chains that are supposed to last the life of the motor (but can still be replaced) so no timing belts to worry about.
  11. concours

concours WFO for 50 years

Oddometer:
    carfax is overated.
  12. changingground

changingground Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    you have something useful to add, or are you just a habitual asshat?
  13. markjenn

markjenn Long timer

Oddometer:
    20-yo SUV with 200K+ mileage that has lived its entire live in Michigan? Danger Will Robinson!

- Mark
  14. trasko

trasko Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1

Mike's Budge Auto Sales? 1) I'm jaded. I have a very low opinion of used car lots and most mechanics. 2) I can do maintenance work myself.

For me, I consider used car lots to be professional bull-shitters and car detailers. So... It's real clean? That just tells me they are *good* detailers and probably equally good at BSing. Danger Will Robinson!

I haven't been searching for one of these, so I don't know how good of a price that is. With my current knowledge I'd pass and wait for a private seller. I have always wanted one these or the previous gen. LCs, though. If you want to go for it, go for it. If you get what you want and you love it, then it's worth whatever you pay.
  15. Wolfgang55

Wolfgang55 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have been shopping for something near this & have found that 6.5k can get a good shopper a bit more of a deal than this vehicle.
    Good luck & let us know what you get.
  16. FrostedFlake

FrostedFlake Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Oddometer:
    Keep in mind that the '91 and '92 FJ80 had essentially the same engine as the previous FJ-62, a 4.0 liter with 155 hp. In '93, they went to the 4.5 with 212 hp. A big, big difference for such a heavy vehicle, trust me.
  17. GREATLAKESADVRIDER

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all your help fellas. With what i've learned here, there's no way i'm gonna buy this pig. They look cool and it would be nice to have as a winter beater to haul the dogs around in if I could pick it up cheap, but what was Toyota thinking putting a 155hp engine in such a heavy full time 4wd?
  18. LuciferMutt

Oddometer:
    That people weren't gonna go drag race the damn things. The I6 is made for torque and even the 4.0 flavor has loads of it.
  19. GREATLAKESADVRIDER

Oddometer:
    How much torque does the 4.0 make at what rpm?
  20. gsweave

gsweave Yinz, blinkers are on, JACKWAD! Super Supporter

Oddometer:

He did add something useful carfax is for...

Wouldn't look twice at any rollin stock with over 100,000 miles.

I am a keeper of old junk, I has experiance:evil