A question for LEOs, a little long.

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by 390beretta, Jul 15, 2014.

1. 390beretta

390beretta Long timer

Oddometer:
    Actually Gone, I'm seldom in a hurry either....just do like to ride fast. Be safe!
  2. ghostryder

ghostryder Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    CCW crowd does not bother me....there should be more. Its the Felons with guys that gets me nervous, or the people that try to hide them.
  3. Navy Chief

Navy Chief Long timer

Oddometer:
    That is why I am upfront about it, I don't want you getting a glimpse of if while I am doing something an getting nervous about it. Better for everybody involved if we both stay calm. :deal
  4. Mr_Gone

Mr_Gone Viking Berserker

Oddometer:
    I do like to ride fast, also... I have Push Mountain Road only 11 miles from my front door, and it's a blast. I ride it just about every Sunday morning, if possible, with maybe just a little too much velocity, I'll admit. The local sheriff's guys all know me, so I think I get a little bit more leeway that some of the guys on sportsbikes.

The local sheriff's deputies around here are far more concerned with trying to slow down the guys on Harleys and Gold Wings who, even though they're going the speed limit, can't "negotiate" the curves. We get a few deaths every summer, and usually it's a cruiser or a Gold Wing. Sometimes it's a deer strike. Most of the time, it's because the riders on big bikes are either going too fast for the curves, or they don't trust their machines and panic and lock up the wheels and then splat.
  5. DesertTortoise

DesertTortoise Freedom Fighter

Oddometer:

Just a question for you since you take a strong position. Do you expect or give professional courtesy? As in, I'm speeding because I'm a cop? Some do, some don't care at all.

Military police eat their own. Being an MP don't get you nothing. Kind of awkward when the installation commander asks the Provost Marshall why the infantry company got 30 tickets while strangely the entire MP battalion got zero....
  6. Human Ills

Human Ills Useful Idiom

Oddometer:
    Wouldn't you have to not only find the person who was reported, but also observe the behaviour yourself in order for the state to move forward with prosecution? I would expect DA's to be leery of going forward on moving violations when the only witness is another driver who may or may not show up for court and whose testimony will not have the standing usually enjoyed by police.
  7. Navy Chief

Navy Chief Long timer

Oddometer:
    Easy answer is the MP's know better than to speed, they eat their own after all... :D
  8. DesertTortoise

Oddometer:

Last ticket I got was for a master at arms in Cuba.

No professional courtesy there!
  9. Xaque

Xaque Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A fair amount of you have missed my point regarding the CCW. If you are carrying at that moment, I like to have a head's-up... but you can verbalize it and then hand over your permit if I ask. What I was referring to in my previous statements was the poster who mentioned handing over his CCW even when he's not carrying as a way to indicate to the officer he's an upstanding citizen and/or not a felon. (Similar to handing over other credentials that have no bearing on the situation at hand.)

There are a lot of misconceived notions about Massachusetts... for an extremely liberal state, we have a large number of gun owners and manage to elect republican governors on a fairly regular basis. I actually like the balance here a lot, and for the most part people are very tolerant of everyone else.

I *never* expect professional courtesy. I've never even contested a ticket that I deserved (was guilty of what I was accused of), I just pay them and go on my way. That said, I've never received a ticket that I thought was unjust either.

In regards to giving professional courtesy, I let civilians go with warnings just as often as I let LEOs go with warnings... everything gets weighed and there are a myriad of reasons why someone does or does not deserve a money ticket. As I said previously in this thread, I've found reasoning and logic to be a much stronger deterrent than hitting someone in the wallet (in the case of the latter they just drive away angry).

That said, LEOs tend to obey the laws... I just don't get a chance to pull many over. If you want to talk about a subset of people who are *constantly* doing things to catch my attention, then we need to start talking about middle-aged women who drive a prius. Talk about being unaware of their surroundings.
  10. ttpete

ttpete Rectum Non Bustibus

Oddometer:
    If you're up in MI armed, you are required by law to disclose that to the officer. I just hand over the license on top of my driver's license.
  11. Xaque

Xaque Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In my state, if a witness is deemed "reliable" (meaning we can identify them and they could be subpoenaed to testify in court) then their statements can be used towards prosecution. If the person makes an "anonymous" tip, no such dice.

That said, it usually helps if we can observe the behavior (for obvious reasons).
  12. Navy Chief

Navy Chief Long timer

Oddometer:
    :clap
    Prius drivers are an automatic red flag in traffic to me. :deal
  13. Human Ills

Human Ills Useful Idiom

Oddometer:
    Which is about what I figured. Thanks. :D on edit, is that to mean that a defendant wouldn't be able to challenge the witness in court?
  14. DesertTortoise

Oddometer:

Can't ask more than that. Law enforcement should be consistent and impartial.

The only thing I can't understand is those fascist looking uniforms the state troopers wear up there...

[​IMG]

Two cows gave their lives to make the boots on the right
  15. Xaque

Xaque Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, there is that whole "right to faced your accused" thing we've got goin' on here... which I think is pretty great.

However, in this case, the "accused" is the Commonwealth (by agent of the executive branch). The rub is that when the officer is asked about "evidence" it's ostensibly hearsay if he or she didn't witness the infraction and the person who did can't be identified and called in to testify.

On a side note: I have noticed while watching Cops (which we affectionately refer to as "training videos" in our Saturday night logs) there are many places where if the victim doesn't want to press charges, then there's nothing the police can do. In MA the police can press charges regardless of the victim's wants and desires as long as the evidence supports probable cause that the crime was committed. That of course is not to say that we don't weigh the perception of the supposed "victim" when investigating potential crimes.
  16. Xaque

Xaque Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They will be quick to tell you that it was actually the fascists who copied the MSP, not the other way around.
  17. Human Ills

Human Ills Useful Idiom

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the clarification. :D
  18. 390beretta

390beretta Long timer

Oddometer:
    Jesus.....in my case, lately, it's been anyone in a Toyota. The "Prius" being the worst exception. Next is Hundai's, why the hell do they want to race with me?
  19. Human Ills

Human Ills Useful Idiom

Oddometer:
    They must think they can win:lol3
  20. 390beretta

390beretta Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, my friend, your instincts are correct. Be Safe!