The Long Way Home. Huntsville to Cleveland on a 250.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by klaviator, Jun 26, 2012.

1. Gabby

Gabby Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just found this RR. I really enjoyed it. 50% of my dna comes from RT 16 in Ritchie Co WV, and the other 50%, 5 miles from it. ( no jokes please...lol) Lots of familiar places.
  2. klaviator

klaviator Scooter Trash Supporter

Oddometer:
    Congratulations on the new ride. I'm glad someone else besides me liked those small towns. They seem to be depressing to a lot of people.

I plan on doing more camping just for "practice". Of course I'll have to take some trips on my bike as well:evil

I've always thought I would get a small laptop for traveling but todays smart phones do so much that I may go that way.

By the way, you have the growing old thing backwards. You have to grow old (or die), but you don't have to grow up. If you don't grow up then you won't act old. Also, there's often a big difference between being chronologically old, and being mentally and physically old.

Have you spent any time in any of those towns in W VA? I'd be curious to hear what it's like to live there. As for jokes, I can think of far worse places to be from. I lived in New Orleans for a year:eek1
  3. TrashCan

TrashCan Scary Jerry

Oddometer:

Tell it like it is, Brother.

:freaky:lol3
  4. Scooterchick

Scooterchick And then what?

Oddometer:
    We just came back from buying a bunch of camping stuff. Settled on a Ozarka Trail 4 person tent with a full fly. We're going to set it up in our house first to see if we both fit comfortably in it before getting it all dirty and then trying to return it later. So, we will be sleeping in it tonight and I'm going to turn a large fan on it full blast to see how it does...haha.

We have NEVER done this before as we have only been on one trip so far. But, we are going to do a "practice" run too for our anniversary. Thinking about going to Whidbey Island and some other places. Also, being a Veteran, I can get a pass to all of the national parks for a discount....:clap.

So, we are reading all of these reports with great interest and taking mental notes on what works for most in the way of gear and what doesn't. Still need to get a GPS for longer trips though or that "spot" thingee that we need to do more research on.

Really enjoying this report! Thanks for letting us come along.:lurk
  5. Forde

Forde Been here awhile

Oddometer:

right on man. any bike will carry you down a road. you are as capable of adventuring on a 50cc as a 1500cc.

plus the lower your bike and fuel bills, the more money you have left over and the further you can go!

your 250 is the perfect tour scoot imo, comfortable at speed limits but low fuel consumption. go any bigger and it would cost more to buy and run, go smaller and wouldnt cruise as comfortably.
  6. klaviator

Oddometer:
    You should know, I think you have figured out how not to grow up. Of course, having one of the country's best play areas for big kids and their bikes in your back yard should make that easy.

I'm looking forward to seeing how camping works out for you in a future ride report. Thanks for following along.

My 250 was a great ride for this trip. I think there are two things required to make a bike a good touring bike:

A. It needs to get you where you want to go.
    B. It needs to put a smile on your face while getting you there.

Other than that, nothing else is really all that important. Some of my favorite ride reports have been by people touring on bikes that many people consider "unsuitable". RTW Doug, nathanthepostman, and underboning come to mind. I am currently following a report from guy (Antihero) riding a Ducati Panignale across the country and he is even riding it off the pavement.:huh

Anyway, thanks again to everyone who has responded to my report. I have really enjoyed everyone's feedback.
  7. conchscooter

conchscooter Long timer

Oddometer:
    Very enjoyable RR. So matter of fact and lacking in drama anyone who reads it should be able to understand a 250 is not too small to ride away from home. I wish more people had it figured the way you do. Hope to see more.

ps I am no fan of sleeping on the ground. Aerostich has a fabulous roll up cot for camping. More than two hundred bucks I think. I wonder...does it's small volume make up for the price?
  8. Domromer

Domromer Desert Rat

Oddometer:
    Where was the campsite with the platform?
  9. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Hungry Mother State Park just north of Marion, VA.
  10. soboy

soboy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just found your RR today and read it this morning. Very enjoyable read and sounds like you had a great time. I'm in your camp when it comes to both smaller bikes and scooters - I am a fan of both. As a matter of fact, I have nothing but scooters now - a Kymco Agility 125 for running errands close to home and a Yamaha Tmax as my "real" motorcycle. The Tmax holds its own against any bike I have ever owned, I plan to tour with it this year.