Miller motorsports park shutting down

Discussion in 'Racing' started by swimmer, May 8, 2015.

1. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
  2. RCmoto

RCmoto Long timer

Oddometer:
    dang nabbit
  3. Chuckracer

Chuckracer Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer:
    Who's surprised? Show of hands?
  4. Racer111v

Racer111v Long timer

Oddometer:
    And the Lucas MX national is still on the schedule there. Love to see that run anywhere else. Like Binghamton NY again. :D
  5. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan Supporter

Oddometer:
    Probably the next guy can make a go of it. It is already built and grossing some $7 million. There are a few track owners out there that could turn that into more than $20 million/year by shifting a couple race dates they control.
  6. DogBoy

DogBoy Not a Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The track is very, very far from any major population centers. I don't see it getting any more profitable. The county would probably make more money off that land from the proposed state prison project which would offer higher paying jobs. Future doesn't look good.
  7. brents347

brents347 Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer:
    But what a track! I once got to ride the full track for two days. Day one had 12 riders. Day two had 6! We pitted in the main garages and even got to go drifting with the drivers that were practicing in the parking lot after our riding days!

The main thing I remember was that compared to the NorCal tracks like Laguna the asphalt was butter smooth. Literally polish your knee sliders.
  8. patmo

patmo Long timer

Oddometer:
    From a financial standpoint, racetracks and golf courses are the worst use of land anyone could make. Especially in higher population areas. Miller was put into an area that doesn't have heavy population and where land was cheaper, on purpose. But getting a pampered public to make the commitment that attendance at racing events demands was always going to be a tough proposition for Miller. Racers have always loved it, but for the casual fan the distance/time to get there and other "creature comfort" concerns always made it a tough sell.

I hope that new owners step up and keep it open, but I'm not optimistic at this time.
  9. roma258

roma258 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I honestly don't know what they were thinking with that location. Awesome if you live in Salt Lake City, pretty much sucks for everyone else.
  10. nachtflug

nachtflug I'm not going to talk about that.

Oddometer:
    Utah has to be the most over rated state in the country. Freaking boring hot dust bowl.
  11. Lav1200

Lav1200 Pig Pen

Oddometer:
    Utah must have some of the best off-road motorcycling in NA... nothing boring about it once you get off the couch.
  12. Bappo

Bappo Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm curious how much riding experience Nacht has in Utah.

To each his uninformed opinions I guess.
  13. nachtflug

Oddometer:
    I've ridden there and you couldn't pay me to go back. Most over rated state and national parks in the US.
  14. roma258

roma258 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  15. wrk2surf

wrk2surf on the gas or brakes

Oddometer:
    THE exact center of California/Bass lake/Yosemite
    For those of you out there that are nervouse about the future of Miller Motorsports Park here is a post from my friend Andy who met with Tooele County to discuss the future of the track.
    The jist - Fear not, the track isn't going anywhere and we WILL be racing in 2016 and beyond! smile emoticon
    It seems appropriate to report that yesterday afternoon myself as a representative of CBRE, Inc. - a global commercial real estate firm - and a few others including representatives from Utah Sportbike Association and NASA as well as representatives from the Utah state government had a conference call with representatives from Tooele County to discuss the track and it's future. As mentioned in the post below by the Utah Kart Championship once LHM vacates the lease and the premises the property with all the permanent improvements will become the property of Tooele County. The county expressed a commitment to keeping the track up and running for 2016 and beyond. They recognize the facilities as the center for the county's tourism and as a hugely important part of their future as a county. The primary request from the county is that we as a community of racers and supporters of the facility DO NOT PANIC. It will be very important for the county and a future tenant, owner or operating partner to not have a mass exodus of sponsors, customers and events. We understand that the current uncertainty makes it difficult to negotiate with national and local tours and sponsors. However as best we can as a community let's get the word out that we'll be running in 2016.
  16. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan Supporter

Oddometer:
    SCRAMP has operated Laguna Seca since 1957. SCRAMP stands for Sports Car Racing Association of the Moneterey Peninsula. The track is a county park, so maybe the people that own Miller can learn something from the people that own Laguna Seca.

Laguna has benefitted from lots of corporate sponsorship over the decades. Plus there is a lot of motorsport history that was made there. But I imagine the challenges are similar.
  17. stevo7706

stevo7706 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    C'mon, have you been to Zion National Park? It's beautiful.
  18. garfey

garfey Scruffy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, a prison funded out of taxpayers' pockets is always a money-making proposition. :oscar
  19. nachtflug

Oddometer:
    I'm sure it is. You also have to be in Utah to see it. Freaking dead zone of a state. I've been to Arches and Bryce. I've also been to Yosemite and Glacier and Rocky Mt national parks. Why anyone would voluntarily go to Utah is beyond me.
  20. bobzilla

bobzilla Dirty Old Man

Oddometer:
    with all due respect sir: YOU are an idiot! Either that or you are such an east coaster you have no ability to use the land as its meant to be. Next to Nevada and Idaho, Utah has to be the in the top three off road states.

Maybe you need a little coaching from Aldon :lol3

seriously on a dirt bike Utah is Magic and they even have some pretty good beer in the state now.