Opinions on the Airoh trr

Discussion in 'Trials' started by Fred Garvin, May 11, 2013.

1. Fred Garvin

Fred Garvin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Greetings,
    I am in the market for my first trials helmet. I have searched most of the trials forums, and did not find much on the Airoh, except what was on Web Bike World. They gave it a good evaluation at a premium cost, but I am looking for some real world history. From what I have learned, protection and ventilation are important, but can this be achieved with a lesser priced helmet, such as the Shiro? I am still waiting for a return call from Lewissport on this question.
    Thanks for the input.
  2. motorcyclemark

motorcyclemark Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have had mine for about six months and very happy. Lightest helmet I've ever owned, excellent ventilation and comfort. Only downside is the price.
  3. broncobowsher

broncobowsher Long timer

Oddometer:
    Trouble is finding a helmet isn't just the right size, it is also fit. I was lucky in our local trials supplier (plug, Hard Rock Trials Supply) had a decent assortment of helmets in stock. It was amazing the number of different fits there were from different manufacturers. Some fit like I put a salad bowl on my head.It was on for a second and was off just as fast.

That is where the flaw in internet mail order comes in. You see pictures, read reviews. But when it comes to something that has to interface with your body you really need to feel it first hand. You cannot fit a helmet by size alone.

So keep that in mind when you read reviews of a said helmet.

Recently I needed to add a knee brace to my gear collection. The shops in town with the best selections of gear had one make, model and size on the shelf. But they could order anything I wanted, so long as I paid for it first. But they would give me my money back if I didn't want it. I knew of a store about 5 hours away that had stock. Next time I did a road trip that way I stopped in and tried on all of the knee braces. I did at least a half dozen different models. They all "fit" but only 2 "fit right". How I miss good brick and mortar stores with selection. I know it is nearly impossible to keep up with the internet as people will go to lengths just to save a buck, the online selection is so much larger, but the personalized attention is gone.

So with whatever helmet you get, make sure it not only fits, but fits right. I have a street helmet bought off the internet that fits, and fits OK, but after about an hour it gives me headaches. Good thing work is only 15 minutes away. But it does keep me from taking longer rides. I really should get something that is more comfortable, but I am giving up on most of my street riding to enjoy trials instead.
  4. Fred Garvin

Oddometer:
    I couldn't agree more with your assesment. However, with a niche market like ours, finding a near by shop with trials gear is non existent. I have talked to others and found decent feed back, but since this is such an individual choice, we can only go on reviews and opinions.
    Third rule of economics: you get what you pay for. Like others, I found this out the hard way and use this during my selection process. The search continues. I will post my results when the final decision is made. Thanks.
  5. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    I would like to let you know. I've had one ordered for over a month and haven't received it yet. I tried a buddies on and fit my head perfect and was light.
  6. Fred Garvin

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info. Just curious, where did you order it from? The US or overseas?
  7. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    Lewisport. I'm not sure, but when I called to check on it, they seem surprised I had an order in. I think they screwed up, but don't really know. They used the SSDT as an excuse that all the suppliers were there until the event was over, but I had the helmet ordered well before that.

As I said, I tried a buddies on and fit me well and was just a cool helmet. I've got an old carbon NZI that's seen better days. It's light, but not as well vented as the Airoh. I had to swallow hard at the price though.
  8. AdventureRiderxxx

AdventureRiderxxx n00b

Oddometer:
  9. Smudge!

Smudge! Long timer

Oddometer:
    I like mine fine, size chart on the web site was accurate.

Not sure what else to tell you, it came, I put it on, it fit, I rode?
  10. DrKayak

DrKayak Retro Rider

Oddometer:
    After riding trials for 2 years in a pre-90s Arai, I ordered a TRR from DritBikeExpress in UK thru Ebay. Major saving over price quoted by a State side trials shop. Firgured E-bay would take some risk out of sending money overseas. Took almost 2 weeks to receive.

I have a "long oval" shape head, no issues with the shape of the TRR. The TRR is more oval than an Arai XD3.

I wear XXL in all but one of my helmets. After research and refering to the size chart I got a XL in the TRR and it's a little snug. The liner padding is thicker than most helmets and should compress some with use. Still for the price I did not want it uncomfortably tight. So, for less than the cost to ship it back to UK I ordered the XXL liner to try.

Love the quick release strap, this will make taking off my helmet to scout a section an option now. I really had issue with getting too hot in my old Arai.