How well can KTM 690 R be set up for Touring

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Inniswhe, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Inniswhe

Inniswhe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have been going over my options for a R1150GS replacement that would be better on logging roads and two track and have pretty much narrowed to either the KTM 690 R or a BMW F800GS after looking hard at the XR650L and DR650 with great input from this forum and the Gspot. I want better highway performance and power than the japanese 650's put out.

I know the KTM will be the better off road choice but I am wondering how well it can be set up for the highway and touring side of things as this will be 50/50 duty.

I think the KTM would be easier to make comfortable with a better screen and custom seat than it would be to make a F800GS better in the dirt. I am thinking some sort of a tall modified screen with adjustment as buffetting is always a nightmare for me at 6'3". I like the rally fairings but high price and no adjustment will probably mean buffetting.
    I made my own dished seat for the R1150GS that is great . A scaled back more rally style seat of my design will likely solve the seat issues and will cheap.

I have read a ton and searched alot and have not found too much feedback on tall guy touring setups of a 690 enduro r.

Anyone have a nice setup they want to tell me about ? Pics ?
  2. zxrider11

zxrider11 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Lots of options, here are a few pictures with the KTM tank bag, rear bag & touring shield.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  3. gatorgrizz27

gatorgrizz27 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am a KTM guy, but if you plan to run fire roads and two track instead of single track, sand, and rocks, I would probably pick the BMW. Dirt bikes aren't a whole lot of fun on dirt roads, and really aren't fun on the highway. The perfect environment for the 690 to me would be running around in the city, maybe 10 mile commutes on 2 lane highways, and mild single track or ATV type trails.

The 950 super enduros seem plenty capable on road and off as well, any reason you aren't considering one besides being a bit difficult to locate?
  4. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds I'm alive.

Oddometer:
    This barely applies, but at 6-5, I set up my 640 by adding 2" to the seat and at first put on 2" bar risers. I knocked off the 2" risers and installed some 5" Rox risers. Have not got a chance to try this set up yet.

On my 990, I took off the stock pegs and put on the SW Mototech pegs. That added another 15mm (iirc) for leg room. Then the 2" risers went on.

I think at 6-3, you'll want to do the bar risers and pegs at the minimum. Probably on either bike.

I just recently saw a picture of a 990 SMT windshield on an enduro style headlight. It was on a 950 SM. Look HERE. I think that would work on the 690 as well. (Edit: 205'd by the touring wind screen on the 690!)
  5. OhBoy

OhBoy Got Out

Oddometer:
    Touring on a 690...it could be done.
    Your one of those guys how can flat foot the 690? Good for you!
    One possible wish list might include.
    50/50 tires ..check
    custom seat check
    panniers/loop
    heated grips
    wind screen check
    tankbag check
    added fuel capacity
    heated clothing...check
    gps w/tunes..check
    The weight difference is significant 300# 690 600# 1150
    For tricky riding I'd prefer the 690.
    I found a used windscreen and cut it down. No buffeting.
    [​IMG]

Linky Not mine

[​IMG]
  6. Kimball76

Kimball76 I'll take one of each.

Oddometer:
    I'm extremely please with my '12 690. I was attracted to the 690 for the same reasons you (and many) are: it straddles the on road / off road divide. I was coming from a Triumph Speed Triple so I honestly expected I'd be sacrificing just about all on road excitement - I was wrong. It turned out to be much more road worthy than I expected, easily doing in the 70s on the interstate. My typical use includes commuting to work - about 20 miles one way, and the occasional off road use. I've done some multi-day trips using a Giant Loop Great Basin and tank bag (I can dig up a pic of the bike w/ bags if you'd like) to carry several days worth of stuff. I did some 'aggressive' fire road riding and also hit the interstate on the way there and back. Yesterday I took her to some local OHV trails (about 1.5 hours one way) and tore it up on the trails with some jumps and pretty aggressive OHV riding.

The bike is tall, at 6'1" I can't flat foot - you might have more luck at 6'3". I don't use a windscreen so can't speak to excessive buffeting. (for me the wind is part of the thrill of the ride - and while 'young' at 37 I'm still fit enough to ward off any fatigue)

This 690 is a compromise though and the guys above list some great points; you're the only one that can decide where on that road vs off road spectrum you lie. It all comes down to if you want a more road worthy or off road oriented bike. If you're worried about road worthiness for the 690 like I was - don't be. For me it's the perfect compromise and I couldn't be happier.
  7. BUMMERS

BUMMERS BUMMERS

Oddometer:
    OK, I'm 60 & going thru my seventh midlife crisis. My doc told me not to get another bike, so I'm picking up my 2014 KTM 690 Enduro this week. He told me not to ride it for long, so setting it up as economically as possible for a cross country trip (west to east) this fall. That means lowering w/ a Kubalink 1 5/8", tallest KTM windshield, 16 tooth drive sprocket, assorted cheap soft luggage w/ pannier frame, cruise, htd. grips, power outlet (really shoulda got after market), and new seat from Seat Concepts (no question-best seats/pricing). First a one day distance run, then a 3 day camping trip up the CA coast from Sacramento, then, if I survive, repeating my trip of a lifetime in 1978 on a Suzuki GS750. Should mention, I'm on full disability due to a collapse of 2" in my spine. Now, can someone tell me why I can't get my pics to load?
  8. JoeyZ

JoeyZ "I'de Like To Take That Ride Again" Might as Well

Oddometer:

Outstanding, Live while your still alive. I don't know who you are but I'm sure I would like you!!!
  9. CA Stu

CA Stu Peace and Love

Oddometer:
    I have one, I put ~650 miles on it last weekend.
    I can give you 2 reasons;
    120 mile fuel range and seat like a brick.
  10. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just moved over to the 690r from a GSA 1150
    Determined it needed some more comfort so added the following:
    KTM tall wind screen (not very tall)
    Heated grips (not very hot)
    Rox anti vibe bar risers
    Seat concepts seat
    Wolfman enduro tank bag
    The 690 is now probably 80% of the comfort of the 1150 but much more fun to ride.
    You can check out pictures here tumblweedadv
    Vey happy with my choice and not going back to super sizing any time soon.

://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=940456&goto=newpost
  11. BUMMERS

BUMMERS BUMMERS

Oddometer:
    Just imagine, the 690 R has a third more power than the new Harley 750, w/ much lower weight. That's why I figure I can add a tooth to the front sprocket for my 160 lbs. Hoping to surpass 70 mpg. Gonna post updates and results if anyone's interested.
  12. Jayus

Jayus Banned

Oddometer:
    I've had two 950 Adventure's, one R1150GS Adventure, and now a 690 Enduro R.

The 1150 won for pavement touring (stock seat was fine from TX to VA).

The 950 Adventure was ideal for an Iron Butt ride on day 1 and then CO Jeep trails on day 2 (did 5,000 miles in 8 days).

The 690 is far superior off-road and the most fun to ride once at the destination (such as trailering the boring miles from Dallas to Big Bend, then using the 690 for exploring the area).

I would not want to tour thousands of paved miles on the 690 unless it was scenic and twisty and off the beaten path.
  13. BUMMERS

BUMMERS BUMMERS

Oddometer:
    ​Another 690 plus-I can load it myself, even put it on a rack on an rv. Most racks are rated for 500 lbs. The idea is to get one of these, & avoid all the flat pavement as much as possible.​ I guarantee this can't be any less painful than my '78 Suzuki 750 @ 500+ lbs
  14. Sbushong1

Sbushong1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here is what I did to prep mine for adventure touring. Came off a vstrom 650 and considered a 800GS. Is is more agile, fun, powerful, and has similar wind protection issues. Custom seat on order. Planning a 3000 mile COBDR trip for August. This bike is light, and fun. I am not a hard rider. It a middle aged tourer who likes to get off the beaten path.

Opted for Kriega overlander 60 soft bags rather than aluminum panniers (had jesse on my other bike) to keep it light.

[​IMG]
  15. Sp4rks

Sp4rks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Personally, I'd rather be dealing with being uncomfortable on the Freeway than having to pick up a 450lbs+ bike on a trail when I bit off more than I could chew. The 690 is an extremely capable bike in the correct hands.
  16. isaac004

isaac004 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just sold my F800GS for a new 2014 690. While I did love the F800, I LOVE LOVE LOVE my new 690. It is a rocket, rides so much better off road, and is just as fun if not more fun on the twisties. The light weight and power is an amazing combo. Plenty fine on the highway at 70-75. The only thing my Beemer did better was those times when you needed to cruise 85 for a while on the highway to get somewhere fast.

I am setting mine up for multi day camping trips as well.
  17. TheMuffinMan

TheMuffinMan Forest Ranger Magnet Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a seat concepts seat which makes my heavy fat ass comfortable for a few hours at a time.

The KTM hardparts screen for $70 or so puts the wind on my upper chest from my abdomen when on the interstate. I get little helmet buffeting but do have air on my head. I end of leaning forward into the windblast a bit which makes it a little uncomfortable but honestly it's bearable. If I'm going 60mph or under it's not even a problem for me. It gets a little annoying over 70mph.

I put on the Wolfman side racks and top rack. They still sell the top rack but don't think the side racks are for sale anymore. They are very sturdy and my camping/touring pack is about 52 lbs. Tank bolts aren't an issue after replacing them with Rally Raid upgraded ones.

I run a Wolfman Enduro (small) tank bag turned backwards but it's enough to charge my electronics and keep some snacks, map, compass, and such in. My rear side bags are Wolfman Expedition which I used on my last bike (950 Adventure) and are completely waterproof though a little small.

For touring I think aftermarket tanks are highly recommended and have Rally Raid Evo-2 tanks which are expensive but I like the slimer profile. I would buy a color other than white if I did it again. With the tanks I have 5.5 gallons total and get typically a 300 mile range with a little bit to spare. On the stock tank I was doing 150-180 miles with fumes left.

Another option is to carry a gallon of extra gas on the 4 optional bottle holders on the Expedition bags, though I never have to worry about fuel going into the bush with the front Rally Raid tanks (and now use two of the bottle holders to carry 1 liter bottles of water).

Here's a pic of the wolfman top rack, large and extremely sturdy, I did replace the stubbie tank vent with a longer hose as the tent, sleeping pad, and sleeping bag in a compression sack sit on my top rack and can pinch off the rear tank vent. I have a freaking huge self-inflating camping pad though so others may not have this issue.
    [​IMG]

My camping pack before I had the Rally Raid front fuel tanks (I also moved my fender tool pack into the rear black dry bag after this trip as it kept falling off):
    [​IMG]

Will try to dig up more recent pictures if you want.
  18. TheMuffinMan

TheMuffinMan Forest Ranger Magnet Supporter

Oddometer:
  19. Night Falcon

Night Falcon Previous Rider

Oddometer:
    Hi Bummers, your my hero:clap My doctor has told me to never ride or own a bike again, I'll take his advise up until my head and shoulder recover good enough to ride :D

You need to upload your pictures to a photo hosting site then link them to your post. Popular ones are smug bug or Photobucket.
  20. BUMMERS

BUMMERS BUMMERS

Oddometer:
    Amen on that. Love that luggage system, but trying to do a "budget" setup. Just found Ali Express, and holy shit, are their prices low. Neoprene face masks-$1.50 includes shipping from China! Best looking soft, H2O proof saddle bags for $75. Skid plates, all kinds of baggage, electronics, camping gear. Evidently the biggest exporter in the world. Even had an article in the Sacramento Bee about their upcoming IPO.