2-up Hp2 Enduro touring

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by stevh0, Apr 11, 2010.

1. stevh0

stevh0 Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    Can it be done?

I dont think the subframe is that strong. Will it survive with a pillion on the back and some panniers?
  2. funhouse

funhouse Overdue

Oddometer:
    the subframe may last (with cutie attached) on a smooth road with a light load in the bags....not so much offroad......B
  3. stevh0

stevh0 Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    Im itching for a Hp2, but Id love a new GSA too.

Obviously the GSA is a better daily 2 up ride.

Ill sell the WR450 if I go with the HP2. If I go GSA ill keep the WR.

The new yellow GSA is lovely!

but, I also love the HP2.

Sigh. Good to know the Hp2 can do light duty 2 up riding with wifey on the back.
  4. stevh0

stevh0 Lone Rider

Oddometer:
  5. space

space a.k.a. Jake

Oddometer:
    I didn't see that ride report, but one of three things happened: they stayed away from anything remotely gnarly off the pavement (i.e., the HP2 wasn't really put to good use); the rear carrier rack and/or the rear subframe broke; or they got spectacularly lucky.

If you want luggage or 2-up, I strongly suggest a 950 or 990 Adventure or a 12GS over the HP2. (Why 12GS Adventure? If you're considering the HP2E, then I presume you don't need the enormous gas capacity. Save weight and money by going with the non-Adventure GS.)

Anyhow, that's the logical answer to your question. I understand that motorcycles aren't always about logic, though! Good luck with your decision.
  6. stevh0

stevh0 Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    I like the bulkiness of the GSA. Thats the thing. Its either flog the Wr and go hp2 or keep the wr and go GSA. I fully kitted up GSA just looks 200x better than the GS.

I dont want to go the 990 route as im not too happy with the backup. They also seem maintenance heavy. Ill ride the 990 way more aggresive compared to the GSA.
  7. space

space a.k.a. Jake

Oddometer:
    How do you ride the WR450? I have a 525EXC, and there are lots of places where it is the faster, easier bike than the HP2. And if I get stuck, I can yank the 525 out and turn it around. I can't do that with the 180 kg HP2. So I recommend keeping the WR regardless of your decision about which beemer to buy. You can always sell it later if it's collecting dust.
  8. stevh0

stevh0 Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    The WR is currently my do it all " get rid of my frustration " bike.

Ive got some sitcky racing slick sumo rims that I carve up the mountains, then I also alternate between gearing on my setup, depending where I ride. I like to explore. Up and over mountains, but riding the WR home is usually the problem. This is where the HP2 would be perfect. But when the weather is good, id like to grab the wife and go for a ride. (gravel,tar) and this is where the bike needs to work too. The GSA will work well, but ill need to ride it more to get my skills perfect. It can be done... just look at simon pavey.

The Wr is a great playbike. It helps me improve my riding techinique. I would be a far worse rider if I jumped right to a 1200Gs.

Doubtfull that my little plastic bike will ever just collect dust. I love riding it!

[​IMG]

Besides I might need a bike to lug some photographic equipment around. The Gsa and the boxes might work well.
  9. kktos

kktos on a bright side of life

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

looks like it can be done, yes.
    And this HP2 suffered more pain after that episode and it's still up and running.
    (check my sig if'ure interested)