Goodbye April Pachaug Dualspork Camp-n-Ride

Discussion in 'Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carp' started by akarob, Mar 19, 2013.

1. akarob

akarob Rob

Oddometer:
    Goodbye April Pachaug Dualspork Camp-n-Ride

Where: Pachag State Forest - Mt Misery Campground (Chapman Area)
    When: Friday, April 26th - Sunday the 28th

Google Maps link the park entrance: https://maps.google.com/maps?q=41.585802,-71.855876&hl=en&num=1&t=h&z=18
    To find the campsite, look for the flags shown in the picture below the map.

[​IMG]

I'm pleased to announce the first camp-n-ride (CnR) of the season, for me at least. I will be camping off of my 990 Adventure (no truck), so my usual camp skillet and 15' x 20 tarp erection will not be there. This ride is a bit of a dry run for my long trip coming up in June so I can give my setup a bit of a shakedown.

I expect the rest of my RR team to be there for at least Saturday night so we can discuss some travel details. As far as I'm concerned, the more the merrier - so come join us in the dirt and under the stars.

For anyone that hasn't joined u s before, it's semi-primitive camping. Fresh water and reasonably clean composting toilets are on site. Camp fires are ok, no hook-ups, bring out what you bring in. There are stores and gas within a mile to supply your every need.

This is NOT an organized ride. I have no idea where I'll be going, dirt roads and some easy trails will be included though. Bring what you ride, and have fun. I expect that there will be at least a couple groups of riders going in different directions and riding trails of varying difficulty. Have questions? Just ask.

Again, strangers are welcome. Some of the regulars can be pretty strange themselves. Meeting new people is all part of the experience.

That's all for now, mark your calendars and shake the mice out of the old sleeping bags. Lets get campy.

P.S. - Don't forget to "subscribe".

P.P.S - If you didn't get a text message announcing this ride, but would like to be on my list, PM me with your name and phone number.

[​IMG]
  2. Rhode trip

Rhode trip guided by voices Supporter

Oddometer:
    :thumb
  3. Tammy

Tammy Team 2nd Wind

Oddometer:
    RR big bike ride?
  4. akarob

akarob Rob

Oddometer:
    You know the one. You'll be there. Is it June yet?

This April CnR isn't exclusive to big bikes though. It's just that a few people that are typically on smaller bikes will be doing something a little different.
  5. Tammy

Tammy Team 2nd Wind

Oddometer:
    my 650 going to be good for this one? would be coming in the van tho..

is it June yet :clap
  6. akarob

akarob Rob

Oddometer:
    We even cater to the scooter crowd. It doesn't matter what you bring. I personally won't be doing much of the "enduro loop" but I'm sure someone will. If you want to follow team ibuprofin around on the big bikes, that's fine too. That's why I say, "bring what you ride and ride what you bring".

Man, this CnR is 4 whole weeks away. I should be able to scrape together enough beer money by then. :freaky

[​IMG]
  7. akarob

akarob Rob

Oddometer:
    There's sure to be some of this going on too.. there are bikes somewhere, I swear.

[​IMG]
  8. go2cnavy

go2cnavy Dont Worry Be Brappy

Oddometer:
    I'll be there. What are the coord for the Mt Misery Campground (Chapman Area)? I've only been out to Pachaug twice.
  9. mrt10x

mrt10x Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer:
    I will be there... I will probably be trucking it and bringing the Husaberg so I can bring the canopy and a similar burner and big ass cast iron skillet.

go2cnavy,,, take route 4 to 102 to 165 to 49.. turn right... about a mile up the entrance is on the left.
  10. Hurricane Bob

Hurricane Bob Long timer

Oddometer:

41.593549,-71.86761

12 more hours till Spring 2013!

:lurk
  11. Tammy

Tammy Team 2nd Wind

Oddometer:
    Rob i take it your going to ride all packed up as if you where riding the RR13??

that would be fun and a good test :clap
  12. vonotto

vonotto See you on the road, Scag!

Oddometer:
    This looks good as a precursor to the RR. I'm in :D
  13. Tammy

Tammy Team 2nd Wind

Oddometer:
    less the deep water lol....
  14. Bikenstitches

Bikenstitches Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm planning on taking the 650 :clap
  15. vonotto

vonotto See you on the road, Scag!

Oddometer:
    Yeah, going to need to find some of that:D
  16. alcontrast

alcontrast at least I'm trying

Oddometer:
    I'll be riding in with my F650 fully loaded as if for a 1-2 week dual sport touring ride.. Assuming I get the bike back together in time. I put the freshly serviced rear shock back in tonight and installed a new to me swing arm (mine got a little damage on the 2012 Roaming Rally) and I ordered a few more parts today.. Ordering some more stuff tonight..

We could do a big bike challenging ride through most of the southern half of the enduro loop. I've ridden 90% of it with my F650 but usually without luggage.. Except that one time Redbeard talked me into it!

I have a new favorite campfire food cooking system for the car-camp-n-rides that I may haul in for this one as well. Pie Irons!

[​IMG]

from grilled cheese to apple pies.. soo good and easy! I'm still looking into dutch oven cooking as well... Especially for baking.. I'm looking forward to the first CNR of the season..
  17. Tammy

Tammy Team 2nd Wind

Oddometer:
    let me know how that works for ya lol
  18. alcontrast

alcontrast at least I'm trying

Oddometer:
    I know of at least one deep stream crossing you could try.. There are plenty of good rutted out mud puddles or the infamous "Green Falls water crossing" as well [search youtube for Green Falls Pachaug].. The difference in Pachaug is that what's under the water is usually deep ruts in mud or just good sized rocks all over the place while at the Roaming Rally you'll hopefully be dealing with an underwater surface that is more consistent, even if it's a hydroline trail where the water crossings were "corduroy'zed" trails. That's when they lay down a bunch of logs in the water perpendicular to the direction of the trail.. like this but under 1-2 feet of murky water..

[​IMG]

Up there it's essentially to give the power company's big 4wd vehicles a decent base to work with when traversing the wet areas.. In those scenarios stay as close to the center of the perceived trail as you can and keep a finger on the kill switch...
  19. akarob

akarob Rob

Oddometer:
    Yea, seeing how I'm on a big bike now, I'm going to have to think about the Route for this ride. I'll try to put something together as interesting as possible. It'll be good, but I have no idea what it'll be yet.
  20. mrt10x

mrt10x Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer:
    Canned Cherry Pie filling.. a couple of pieces of bread.. some butter.. instant bliss :clap