If you boil them all down

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by rruugger, Mar 8, 2014.

1. rruugger

rruugger formally Sir Crashalot

Oddometer:
    I must not be the only one that has tried to pare down the heard. The Adventure motorcycle in its self is a compromised of sorts. Part dirt, street, comuter. So even thou the motercycle companies would rather you buy one for every occasion (which I did). So here is my Question to you multiple bike owners: If you had to, wanted or needed to; Which one motorcycle would you isolate yourself to? Blocking out time to ride one bike seems more likely than multiple motorcycles.

Which one of your multiple bikes would you keep?
  2. rruugger

Oddometer:
    The three I own and would like to get to ONE

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  3. AST236

AST236 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    If I could only have one bike?

If I had the extra money, KTM 690.

In the real world, Suzuki DR650. :D
  4. Bultaco206

Bultaco206 Back-to-back motos suck Super Moderator Supporter

Oddometer:
    I added one today. And I have one already in my stable that will now go.
  5. Kommando

Kommando Long timer

Oddometer:
    DR650SE. I keep one at home and one out west. We're small people though. Bigger people will likely want more space for 2up riding of much distance at all. Mine run slab nicer than my streetbike, they corner on pavement like crazy when decent tires are mounted, the brakes are easy to noticeably upgrade, it hauls luggage like a packmule, and these bikes are good enough in the dirt to ride sand, mud, roots and ruts easily enough for somebody like me to handle it. The seat can be easily lowered to under 30", or it can be raised 2"+ above unlowered stock height, while the ergos are easy to adjust, so the DR can fit a wide range of friends and family with minimal fuss. 45WHP+ would be nice for 2up on the slab, so I may mod one of my DRs for more power sometime, but 35-40WHP works OK for me right now. For $1000-$6500 in running/riding condition, with its good aftermarket now available, it's a pretty versatile ride.

If you're drinking the orange Kool-aid, I'd think you'd be inclined towards something like a 690E/R or a 950/990SE for your only ride, depending on your terrain preferences. If you don't ride slab or 2up, you could go much smaller.
  6. trc.rhubarb

trc.rhubarb ZoomSplat!

Oddometer:
    I'd keep the GS, not because it's superior but because it does everything fairly well.
    I might get a newer one though because if it fails, I'll have no transportation.
  7. Bultaco206

Oddometer:
    If I was forced to keep just one, it would be my DR650. It does nothing great, but a lot of things well.

[​IMG]
  8. rruugger

Oddometer:
    Oh , I drank the Kool-aid. This is my second helping of it. I had three different ktm's few years back. I firmly believe if they had come to the states in the adventure mode I'd have set on the 690. I'm gonna keep one of these bikes, just not sure which one :)
  9. beeper

beeper Badger tickler

Oddometer:
    The F800GS.
  10. rruugger

Oddometer:
    Recently rented a GS for an out of state fly and ride and the GS is beautiful to ride . Thats another thing that makes me think, I have three bikes and I'm renting yet another :scratch
    Guess it boils down to how much motor displacement you want to settle on.
  11. rruugger

Oddometer:
    Pic of your Bultaco? I'm an old Bultaco rider. Something 'bout them old 'taco's :D
  12. Bultaco206

Oddometer:
    This is my last remaining one...an Alpina that I've converted to Trials duty. I used to collect, vintage race, and restore Buls. I got divorced in '10 and sold-off my collection of racers and parts bikes. (I had about 15 of them)

[​IMG]

Several years back I had one in the house. It sucked as a wood stove. :lol3

[​IMG]
  13. Sp4rks

Sp4rks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    KTM 125sx, yeah, really. Toss on that Acerbis 6.6 gallon tank, and some ROTOPAX, and I'm good. I'll carry a spare top end rebuild in a tank bag. Indestructible to the best of my abilities, more power than 250 dual sports, probably more usable power when you take into account low weight compared to some Japanese 650 dual sports(looking at you KLR650, no offense). I'm 17 years old, and have very little doubt, that if properly maintained, this bike will outlive me. If some 40+ year old professor can do that Dakar on a 150xc, I can adventure on a 125sx.
  14. LowInSlo

LowInSlo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not just yeah, but HELL yeah! Man, perfect attitude.

So far, I'm digging my F650GS (The single), after having parted with my well loved R1200GS. I can already see downsizing, but this 650 is a hoot.
  15. Gonzoso

Gonzoso Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

My trusty KLR 650.

It's simple and old tech, easy to work on. I've had it stripped down twice now for valve checks, wiring, and a bunch of stuff I've done to it.

It was 6500 otd and it rides better than my old cruiser. It handles turns well, then I can haul ass down a fire road and take on some pretty narrow hardcore trails for a bike that I can load up with gear for days of living in the woods and do 80 no problem on the highway for hours.:D
  16. rruugger

Oddometer:
    Sweet! Had a Sherpa s myself in the 70's never thought of snap'n a pic of it back then thou:(
  17. rruugger

Oddometer:
    You are an animal young man!

Yep, They would'nt still be around if they were'nt versatile
  18. rruugger

Oddometer:
    Several years back I had one in the house. It sucked as a wood stove. :lol3

[​IMG][/QUOTE]

Probably quite a oil burner thou :D
  19. motu

motu Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer:
    Went through this some years ago, down from 3 road registered and insured bikes to just one (still have a shed full of bikes, they are either not going or off road only) The bike had to do everything for me, I had off road bikes, so it had to do gravel minimum...and it commutes, goes on long rides. 2 seats/rear guards, 2 front guards, 2 sets of wheels, 2 sets of panniers, 2 screens/fairings, 3 exhaust systems. Chop and change, the bike can be all things to me.

[​IMG]
  20. klaviator

klaviator Scooter Trash Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sorry, can't do it. I'm having trouble limiting myself to 4 bikes.