Yooperbikemike's 2013 MotoGP Thread

Discussion in 'Racing' started by yooperbikemike, Nov 11, 2012.

1. mdubya

mdubya Right Brigade

Oddometer:
    I think you know plenty. :deal
  2. DandyDoug

DandyDoug Long timer

Oddometer:
    All this yammer about sliding the front tire makes me laugh .
    Yes it is a technique that some racers use in specific corners at specific tracks.

I tried to learn to do it and found i did not improve my lap times when some others did.
    Probably too tense and could not relax.
    That' s about the time I actually made it up to the front pack where the fast guys of the day usually ran. It did not take me long to learn i did not belong there, got my boney ass back to the mid pack guys and enjoyed my racing for a couple more years.:D
    Some guys race themselves and their own lap times, they usually live longer :evil

As Clint Eastwood said " a mans got to know his limitations"
  3. UngaWunga

UngaWunga Mosquito bait

Oddometer:

Same here. Just took me longer to learn that lesson. :lol3

Got some stuff to hang on the wall, but some broken bones as well.
  4. Skowinski

Skowinski opposable thumbs

Oddometer:
    Sounds like familiar stories. I started out in CMRA in Texas, then went to CCS southwest, mostly in Arizona (Firebird). Collected some trophies, got used to being in the top 5, and thought I could ride. Then, went to AFM in California in Formula III (Honda RS125's and Yamaha TZ125's) and promptly got my arse kicked to the back third of the pack (there were 30-40 bikes on the grid in those days). What a rude awakening.

Over a couple of years with experience and increased confidence I managed to see the front group on a few first laps. Those guys were sliding and slithering around, knee down, right from the first turn. I decided real quick I was not meant to be there and drifted back to 10-15th place where it was (relatively) safe. :lol2

So, compared to the AFM fast guys, I gotta imagine the MotoGP riders are in another universe.... even the slow MotoGP riders.
  5. DandyDoug

DandyDoug Long timer

Oddometer:
    Funny story;

Wife and i were at the Daytona 200 a few years ago, ( I had been a sometimes competitor in the old super bike days) she was part of the pit crew back then. But mostly I was a crew member for the big bikes , and a rider in the 250 class.

So she asks me right be fore the start of the race;
    " if you were still racing where do you think you would be on the grid today ? ":huh

My answer after look at the posted qualifying times was, not in there :wink:
  6. kyns

kyns Long timer

Oddometer:
    Since i'm ALLREADY OFF the throttle between braking point and apex, where do i close the throttle again ???

Yeah, the pros are on and off the edge all the time, but that they use front end slide as a deliberate household technique, nah...
  7. Drif10

Drif10 Accredited Jackass

Oddometer:
    A little something nice to watch:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/TkOcmQ9LHyk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  8. tinhead

tinhead Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anyone remember the days of AMA 250's and Rich Oliver's dominance in the last decade of them?
    He got a wildcard ride at Laguna Seca back in the '90's on a rented World spec 250, back then all the classes came to Laguna. He was way down in the field in practice, and the Aokis, Hardadas, Biaggis and Melandris of the age were embarassingly quicker.

Some journo asked him what he had to do to catch up, Olivers' respose was "I don't know how they're doing that at all".:eek1

Even champions need to learn things, or invent them.
  9. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan Supporter

Oddometer:
    Loudon 2002 AMA National. Jeff Wood was looking fastest, but had to start from the back after Q races. Oliver made the rounds of the paddock asking riders to hold Wood up. Even my son who was starting 4th row. Of course old timer, Jim Filice, was making a come back of sorts. He owned the joint an won going away. He dedicated the win to his Dad. Went on to say that Loudon was a lot like a mile dirt track. Was a good day to be a fan.
  10. kyns

kyns Long timer

Oddometer:
    You are advicing me to try a technique that will possibly put me in a body bag. I think i'm entitled to some more info.

1. Have you ever personally succesfully used this technique ??

2. How EXACTLY you initiate the front slide and at what part of corner entry ?? ( I expect a step by step tutorial, so i don't end up at the gravel... or dead... )

3. Could the pros slide their front just as a result of a lot of corner speed, rather than intentionally doing it ??

:ear
  11. advNZer?

advNZer? Long timer

Oddometer:
    of course,they go so fast that its unavoidable.So its deliberate in that they know the front will be sliding
  12. kyns

kyns Long timer

Oddometer:
    I agree.

But some here are saying, it is a technique that the pros USE as a intentional tool in their skill arsenal.

A technique, i should try.

Mdub ???:ear
  13. DandyDoug

DandyDoug Long timer

Oddometer:
    yo !!
    Hold up there boys.

No one and I mean NO ONE should try anything like this without proper professional instruction on a race track where there are medical personnel on site if you have a problem .

This is not for the amature to attempt on their own .
    I have some experience sliding down the tarmack, it ain't fun , it hurts even in full approved race gear.

Do not let your youth and exuberance over load your skill level. Most of all don't try this stuff on the public road.:eek1:eek1
  14. Drif10

Oddometer:
    Yeah, it's a skill.

As for you trying it?

Get a little dirt bike, and get used to throwing it around. Safe place to learn it.
  15. kyns

kyns Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have some experience sliding down the tarmack/track too, i'm not afraid of the hurt part, more afraid of the cost part... I have been riding 24 years now, mostly off the public roads, off road and rr tracks. I am calling bs on this "technique" .

Mdub ???:ear
  16. kyns

kyns Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yet no one here is able to explane how EXACTLY to do it. AND why to do it.

:ear
  17. Drif10

Oddometer:
    I learned it by way of mistake, really. Didn't set out to at the time. I made what I thought was a big mistake, and didn't it work out. So, out of dumb luck, a lesson learned.

Why do it?

Cause I can.
  18. kyns

kyns Long timer

Oddometer:

:ear Question number 2 ecpecially.:ear

If it's a skill, you guys should be able to explane how and at what part of corner entry you do it. At what kind of corners you use it and why...

Because you can... that's cute...
  19. advNZer?

advNZer? Long timer

Oddometer:
    try it? no way we are talking about the motogp circus!
  20. kyns

kyns Long timer

Oddometer:

You are still totally failing to explane how exactly, at what part of the entry, at what kind of corners, why, what you gain doing so ??

So far you are saying a whole lot of nothing.

No need for you pro internet ride gods to get a hissy fit. Just answer my three little questions.