Thinking about getting back into the sport touring realm

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by leeinmemphis, Nov 9, 2010.

1. Moronic

Moronic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Multistrada 1200? Just throwing it into the mix. Small dealer network like BMW but OTOH valve checks are at 15,000 miles (take longer than an hour tho).

The Ducati may seem an unlikely suggestion esp as you have a GS already but it would offer more sport than your listed options without the 'sporty' riding position of something like the VFR.

Imagine it would easily handle the short and long trips you describe, even the moto camping with children (one child at a time, I'm assuming) provided you're a pack-light type.
  2. Zerk

Zerk DILLIGAF

Oddometer:
    Straight jacket memories, and sedative highs
    I have two Harley touring bikes, and I am not giving up my comfy road sofas. But I have thought about sport touring. Even though the RT is considered touring, coming from a big bike, to me it would be sport touring.

I like to carry to much stuff, and use the bikes for work and errands, to ever go with a bike without storage.

I've wanted to try a RT just to see if BMWs are as good as they say. The older kawaski concourses seem cool too, very functional. I've never rode either.

I sat on LT, RT and GS at the dealer. Damn that LT was comfy.

You can't have to many bikes.
  3. leeinmemphis

leeinmemphis Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would love to have a Duc one day but dealers are a problem because the one closest to me is 250 miles away. If I were to purchase a Duc it would probably have to be a st4.
  4. jrflanne

jrflanne Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had a ST4. I now have a Futura. ST4 a little more sporty. Futura a little more tourer and a superior motorcycle.
  5. Moronic

Moronic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Must admit I would not purchase an ST4 with the dealer 250 miles away unless I knew the dealer was really, really good. (And maybe not even then.)

I was taking it that with two harleys and a GS budget wasn't so much of an issue for you. But if it is, there's no doubt Ducs are costly not only to purchase but also to run.

Nothing like 'em tho ... :evil If you're attracted, hope you get one, one day.
  6. leeinmemphis

leeinmemphis Long timer

Oddometer:
    same problem. I'm not aware of any Futura dealers anywhere at all.
  7. stevec677

stevec677 n00b

Oddometer:
    Check out Motorcycle Consumer News from a few months back. They did a test on the C14, FJR1300 & the VFR1200. After the test, they revieled that they also had a BMWR1200GS along on the test as an extra parts carrying bike and not in the test. All of the riders/testers voted the GS as the best sport tourer (if it had been included). I thought that was very interesting.

I have ridden the ST1300, FJR1300, C14, K1200GT & the K1300GT. Its all personal taste, but here is my 2 cents: C14-very fast, but a bit tall; FJR-not as fast, but great for a short/small rider; K1200GT-lots of quirks; K1300GT-amazing bike to ride; ST1300-boring.

You really can't go wrong with any of them.
  8. Disco Stu

Disco Stu Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think there's an Aprilia dealer in Jonesboro. AF1 racing has had anythign I've needed in stock and ships same day. If you call them on the phone, they'll put you on hold, walk back and pick the parts and tell you if they have everything you need and can ship that day.

If you can turn your own wrenches, don't let the lack of an Aprilia dealer dissuade you.
  9. RideOn2

RideOn2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bmw k1200rs!
  10. leeinmemphis

leeinmemphis Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for bringing this back up guys. I purchased an '02 RT and have been riding it through the winter. I am really enjoying riding it. The bike had 20k miles on it and since Thanksgiving I've only had a chance to put around 4k miles on it. So far I am very pleased with it.
  11. Vikingtazz

Vikingtazz Will ride for food.

Oddometer:
    I can recommend the new Kawasaki Concours without reservation...love mine and everything about it.

Also a fan of the FJ and ST's, but they are both overdue for remodeling, which I expect sooner than later.
    With that in mind, it was an easy choice for me last year.
    The Kawi is simply a generation ahead of the FJ and ST, and will be until the expected updating of those two.

If looks are of any consideration, the Kawi is also the winner for me.
    It really is the sexiest bike I've ever owned.

Cheers, and good luck with whatever you decide on!