Carb trouble shooting help.

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by commander51, Apr 8, 2012.

1. commander51

commander51 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have an 06 950 adv, and the problem I'm having is when I ride the dirt and get the bike bouncing around through the rough terrain, whoops, choppy double track, ect. I'm starting to get a popping noise from exhaust on lower rpms which feels like a flooding or lack of gas to the carbs feel, and will clear up with more throttle, but will idle fine once stopped. I pulled the back plug and it looks fine, seeing it is the easier one to get to. At one point in my ride the bike died (while in some whoops) then restarted and ran for a few seconds like it was only running on one cyclinder, continued to ramp up the throttle till it cleared up. After this I ran it easy through the rest, ran fine all the way home on the slab. Not sure were to start looking for the proplem, floats maybe? Any info would be greatly apprciated. :ear
  2. muscly

muscly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The problem is the fuel pump who feeds the carburators too much. You must change it to an other brand, to cure the problem.
    This is what I have been told. :norton
  3. commander51

Oddometer:
    To like a fascet pump? Have you done this yourself and resolved the problem? If so what pump did you install?
  4. AdvGa

AdvGa Long timer

Oddometer:
    You could check the Float Height on the Carbs.

Having them too low will cause the Flooding Condition.

When I put the H2W Kit in, I found the Float Heighrs, before adjustment about the 2.25mm range (ran rich).

Then after I made the adjustments to 3.00 to 3.5mm I am not getting the rchness as before.

Hope this helps...
  5. 1stiski

1stiski Ride that nasty thing

Oddometer:
    Floats and Check your carb rubber mounts to the engine case for loose clamps or cracks in the boot.
  6. GZERO

GZERO Fixing stuff around

Oddometer:
    i'm with him!
  7. commander51

Oddometer:
    I will check those this weekend, thanks for the feed back.
  8. Zuber

Zuber Zoob

Oddometer:
    This is a common problem on the SE's. The floats will sink under big G's and flood out the engine. I think it is because these are really street bike carbs.

One solution is to install a low pressure fuel pressure regulator between the pump and carbs. Holley has one available at NAPA that is preset to 3 psi. But, it may starve out on the interstate.

Lowering the floats, from 3mm to 3.5mm helps, but you may need to re-jet.